Back on the hunt for a new mattress with new challenges

Years ago I was on here looking for a new mattress and after a deal of research and testing things out I ended up with a Queen size Natura Latex mattress. Location and life changes abound, and I am now looking for another one, albeit one that my feet won’t extend off of. And so I am trying to find a California King that won’t cost a fortune, but will offer similar support and maybe a tad more comfort on top for my wife.

Our current mattress is holding up well, and though it was fairly firm in the beginning, to the point my wife thought it might have been the wrong choice, she has expressed how comfortable the mattress has become over time, and she doesn’t want to stray too far from what we have from a support and comfort feel. The challenges are several though, and I am trying to figure out how best to shop the new, modern day market.

When we bought the last mattress we had several stores near us, in the New Hampshire/Massachusetts region, that carried innerspring, hybrid, and all foam featuring either Memory Foam or Latex. We now live in Middle TN just south of Nashville and the stores in the area don’t seem to have the same selections. I have used some of the older listings on here to find places to test some options like Dutch Craft, Jamison, and one I can’t find anything on called Legendaire (store said they contract to manufacture Restonic), but all of the options have been coil based, save for 1 Graphite Infused Memory Foam, and I don’t want memory foam.

We’ve felt a couple models that seem comfortable from a comfort and support perspective, but it’s hard to imagine going to coils coming from a Latex core. I have also started browsing the Trusted Members section at the online outlets and manufacturers that produce all Latex options, but after laying on so many and feeling all the differences, I am not sold on the purchase of a mattress I can’t feel first, and I can’t find Latex options around me to compare the composition and feel to something listed with similar specs online.

I am mostly a back sleeper with the occasional side sleeping, and my wife is mostly side sleeping, with occasional back. As mentioned, our current Queen is fairly firm, though settled softer over the years. I am leaning slightly less firm, more toward medium firm options, and we’ve test a couple pillow-top inner spring models by Dutch Craft and Legendaire that felt good, but, again, are innerspring. I don’t like the motion transfer, and I really don’t like all the spring bounce that some of the innerspring mattress have when getting in and out of bed. My wife and I often have different bed times and sleep schedules so being able to move in and out without a ton of motion is a huge plus.

What’s the best way to go about this with the online options, and dealing with the compare and contrast of all Latex and Spring + Foam? Also, I have read a bunch around, but haven’t found my answer aside from Beyond XX is too thick. What is the average range or recommended thickness for layered Latex mattresses?

Thanks for keeping this site going and all the help everyone here has been providing.

Hi CheapSk8.

Welcome back to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

What is the average range or recommended thickness for layered Latex mattresses?

This can vary depending on your weight and sleeping positions, but 6" firm base, 2" transition layer and 2" comfort layer tends to be a popular configuration for all-latex configurations. Another is 6" firm base, 3" comfort layer with no transition layer in between. I personally prefer the transition layer as a side sleeper but again, these things generally come down to sleeping position and other personal stats and preferences.

What’s the best way to go about this with the online options

Truth be told, I’d look for a company with a great exchange and/or return policy so you don’t feel “trapped” by a purchase you haven’t been able to test. If you do all foam, I’d consider a company that allows layer exchanges as the base layer is really unlikely to be a problematic piece of your mattress. Rather, it’d be getting the transition layer and comfort layer just right.

I hope this helps some!
NikkiTMU

This can vary depending on your weight and sleeping positions, but 6" firm base, 2" transition layer and 2" comfort layer tends to be a popular configuration for all-latex configurations. Another is 6" firm base, 3" comfort layer with no transition layer in between. I personally prefer the transition layer as a side sleeper but again, these things generally come down to sleeping position and other personal stats and preferences.

This was helpful information. Thank you. I used it to look into a bunch of the member listings on the trusted members listing and compared this to some of the local options I was able to find, though nothing was 100% latex locally.

Truth be told, I’d look for a company with a great exchange and/or return policy so you don’t feel “trapped” by a purchase you haven’t been able to test. If you do all foam, I’d consider a company that allows layer exchanges as the base layer is really unlikely to be a problematic piece of your mattress. Rather, it’d be getting the transition layer and comfort layer just right.

This really was my only option. I visited a couple local places pointed out from other threads, and then I used a litmus test of calling and asking for details on the layers and materials, as well as the warranty, return, and trial policies. I talked to some really nice people, but no one locally got back to me

On the other hand, I reached out to a couple different online places and got some great responses. The best ones came from a couple stores in the trusted members listing. Because of my hesitation and worry about layer comfort, and cost associated with, I ended up with SleepEZ. Both them and Flexus Comfort had the best service for my needs when chatting and emailing.

Thanks again for the feedback.