Baltimore Washington Mattress recommendations...

I live between Baltimore and DC, and the recommended mattress vendors you list are located no where near me. after reading through your website, and other research, it looks like the natural latex mattress would be best from me and my husband. we currently have a Sleep Number memory foam bed, and I have never had such horrible back pain.

I like the idea of the Talalay on top with Dunlop in the lower layers. I am also interested in maybe a hybird with coils and latex.

Any suggestions of where to go in my area? Price is not an issue, I just want a good mattress
Thank you

Good afternoon,

Phoenix has listed a few locations in this post:
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/direct-mattress-makers-in-northern-virginia

It certainly depends on where exactly you are located between Baltimore and DC, but the Mattress Organic location in Columbia, MD is centrally located between the two. There are also several other locations listed that are closer to DC.

Columbia is great! Thank you

Hi emdevries,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article ) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here … some options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Washington, DC area (which has some overlap with the Baltimore list) are listed in post #2 here, and Baltimore in post #2 here.

If you decide to look online, you may wish to use the experience and expertise of the members listed in post #21 here who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of latex and hybrid options included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

Phoenix

How would you compare this Savvy Mattress to the Charles P Rogers mattress?

Hi emdevries,

I’m assuming you mean Savvy Rest mattresses? You can perform a forum search on either “Savvy Rest” or “Charles P Rogers” here for more information about either line being discussed here on the forum. Savvy Rest uses good quality materials in their mattresses (mostly latex), but they do tend to be in a bit of a higher price range so you’d want to make some careful personal value comparisons. Charles P Rogers makes a variety of mattresses, and while some can use better materials, you’d want to make sure you found out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

As for selecting a mattress, I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site, but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Regarding “comparing” mattresses, there is also more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover and quilting, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be fairly unlikely) then there really isn’t a reliable way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) based on the specifications of the mattresses (even assuming that you can find out all the specifications you would need for both mattresses you are comparing in the first place).

I hope that helps give you a good start in your research.

Phoenix