Bamboo Infused Memory Foam???

Hi,
So much to learn… Have you researched Katy Warehouse Mattress from Katy, Texas? Mattress description for 12" Bamboo Elite Memory Foam mattress: 1" Bamboo Memory Foam Quilted Topper. 4" of 5.3 density 14 ILK Visco Elastic/Medium Firm/Cool Air Memory Foam with 4 - 6 second response time. 8" High Resilience polyfoam 1.8-2#. Twenty-five year warranty. 120 day free shipping both ways trial period. Does bamboo give you more comfort/softness? Would the 4" of memory foam provide more comfort/softness? I have spinal stenosis and the pain that goes with it. I would like extreme comfort but also have to pay close attention to the support level. Thank you so much for providing this valuable information.

Hi mrstree,

In case you haven’t, a great place to start is by reading how to evaluate which mattresses are best for you. Phoenix has done a wonderful job of outlining the steps to selecting those mattresses which are best suited for support and comfort, as well as which materials to look for that are of higher quality.
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/how-to-look-for-and-find-the-best-mattress-for-you-read-first

The ‘bamboo’ is used in the fabric that covers the topper. There’s a bit of controversy surrounding calling it bamboo, however, as a fabric material some people like it and it has some desirable qualities to it.

The main controversy surrounding it has to do with claims that it is a ‘green’ material, as well as claims that the fiber retains some/any properties of bamboo. It’s essentially a semi-man made fiber (the USA FTC would prefer it be called rayon from bamboo). They basically use (harsh) chemicals to dissolve the bamboo, and take a portion of the mush and turn it into a fiber… as best I understand the process.

Nevertheless, it is a soft and desirable fabric that some people prefer, and has several properties that seem beneficial as bedding fabric.

Hi mrstree,

Outside of dn’s general comments and link to the mattress shopping tutorial and about bamboo fabrics … there are also some memory foams that use bamboo charcoal as a filler in the memory foam. There are a few comments about them in post #6 here and in post #4 here (coincidentally in response to someone else from Katy, TX).

The mattress you are mentioning sounds very similar to the BedBoss or mLily mattresses (under a different name) which both use bamboo memory foam in the quilting layer and are made in China. They are both CertiPur certified and would be reasonable choices in terms of quality/value for someone who is comfortable with Chinese memory foam. Katy Wholesale isn’t listed on the CertiPur site however so I would want to know who makes their mattresses or find out which of the Chinese foam manufacturers pours their foam to make sure that it really is CertiPur certified. I would also be cautious with memory foam mattresses that have been compressed for long periods of time with shipping overseas or storage in a warehouse because this may affect the durability of the foam. You can see the basic criteria I use for memory foam mattresses in post #10 here.

I would also be a little bit cautious because of their comments here about cheaply made imports from China when it appears that they also are a cheap mattress imported from China Although “on the face of it” they appear to use good quality materials, I would also read post #6 here about cheap Asian imports.

More than this though, a mattress is one of the most important purchases you can make in terms of your overall wellbeing especially when you have difficult health challenges where the suitability of a mattress is particularly important. In this case the knowledge and experience of the person you are buying from and their ability to help you make a choice that is suitable for your specific needs and preferences and the costs involved in a return (and how long you have to wait to be able to return it) and what you would be sleeping on in the meantime can play a significant role in the value of a mattress purchase and your personal value equation.

Comfort and softness are subjective and relative to each person and their body type, sleeping positions, and individual preferences and sensitivities so only your own personal testing or experience in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment pressure relief, and Personal preferences) can really answer this. Thicker memory foam layers generally provide more softness and ability to conform to your body shape more than thinner memory foam layers but it also depends on the specific properties of the memory foam. Thicker memory foam layers are also more risky in terms of alignment because they can allow the heavier parts of your body to sink in further than the lighter parts of your body before they are “stopped” by the support layers. A mattress is always a balance between the softness and thickness of the comfort layers that provide the primary pressure relief and the firmness of the support layers that provide the primary support of the mattress. Too much or too little of one or the other would mean that mattress may not be suitable for you but there is no “formula” to predict this so if you can’t test a mattress in person you are completely dependent on the knowledge and experience of the company you are buying from and their ability to help you make the most suitable choice.

The first step I would suggest though is to read the tutorial post and the links inside it that dn linked in his reply.

Phoenix

I’m also looking at Katy Wholesale Mattress, and my confidence in them hasn’t hasn’t been helped by the fact that I cannot find any reviews online. They’ve got a stellar eBay rating, but that only seems to apply to the actual eBay transaction. Some of their Facebook page reviews. Everything looks good on paper, but something about this place says “empty shell”. Maybe that’s why the prices are so low?

Here’s what they have to say about the build:
12" AIR-COOL Bamboo-Infused Quilted Eurotop
Compares to the cool comfort, support, and feel of Tempur-Pedic’s 12" TEMPUR-Contour Rhapsody Breeze, but costs 85% LESS!!!
Soft blended bamboo fiber cover with aloe vera treatment and square quilted diamond stitch pattern on top comfort layer.
“NO-Flip” | “NO-Motion-Transfer” | “NO-Sag”
4 FULL Inches of 5.3lb Comfort Memory Foam!
1.0 inch layer of Heat-Dissipating Bamboo-Infused Visco Memory Foam Quilted into cover for added comfort and support
3.0 inch layer of 5.3lb “Composite Rebound Support” Memory Foam
8.0 inch layer of Higher Resilience Poly Foam w/ “Cross Ventilation” Air-Flow
The PERFECT Memory Foam Mattress Comfort Level - Medium Firm - Not too hard, Not too soft - JUST RIGHT!
AVAILABLE IN CAL KING, KING, QUEEN, FULL (Double), and TWIN
ALL Prices include FREE Shipping, One FREE King Bamboo Memory Foam Pillow, 25-Year Warranty, and 120-Night Sleep Trial (8.25% Sales Tax Applied to All Texas Residents)
KING $579.00 (76" wide x 80" long x 12" thick)
CAL KING $579.00 (72" wide x 84" long x 12" thick)
QUEEN $479.00 (60" wide x 80" long x 12" thick)
FULL $429.00 (54" wide x 75" long x 12" thick)
TWIN XL $399.00 (39" wide x 80" long x 12" thick)
TWIN $379.00 (39" wide x 75" long x 12" thick)

Has anyone had any luck with vetting this company?

Hi mykeljm,

Other than the comments earlier in this topic … you can read more about Katy Wholesale in post #2 here and the rest of the topic.

As you mentioned … ebay reviews say nothing about the quality or value of the mattress and are more about the “deal” that people believe they got and that they were shipped what they ordered. There is more about mattress reviews in post #13 here.

They certainly wouldn’t be my first choice.

Phoenix