Base Layer: Combi-Zone Pocket Coil vs 6" 40 LD Dunlop vs. 6" 36 ILD polyfoam

I am looking to go the DIY router. I am going to purchase from mattresses.net. I am kind of stuck on what base layer to go with.

Combi-Zone: $395. Looks like it is just steel springs.
6" Dunlop: $250 x 2 = $500 for a king setup.
6" 36 ILD polyfoam: $250

I am looking to do a 3 layer setup, with the other two layers being different talalay latex. My main concerns are longevity, lack of sag long term, breath ability, and budget, of course. I have tried to search for information on the Combi-Zone, but haven’t found anything. What will best fit my needs?

Hi cyberbob,

If you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own DIY mattress out of separate components and a separate cover then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel” that may be useful as well.

For those who decide to take on the challenge then I would either use the specs (if they are available) of a mattress that you have tested and confirmed is a good match for you in terms of PPP as a reference point or blueprint and try and “match” every layer and component in your reference mattress as closely as possible or use a “bottom up” approach (see post #2 here).

[quote]I am kind of stuck on what base layer to go with.

Combi-Zone: $395. Looks like it is just steel springs.
6" Dunlop: $250 x 2 = $500 for a king setup.
6" 36 ILD polyfoam: $250[/quote]

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here relative to your weight range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article). The best way to know which types of materials or mattresses you tend to prefer in more general terms would be based on your own testing or personal experience.

There is more about some of the general differences between a latex/polyfoam hybrid and an all latex mattress in post #2 here.

There is also more about innerspring support cores vs latex support cores in post #28 here and in post #2 here.

There is more detailed information about the variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress (and the materials inside it) in post #4 here and the posts it links to as well.

The layers that are closer to your body will have a bigger effect on the breathability and temperature regulation of a mattress than the deeper layers and Talalay latex is one of the most breathable foam materials in the industry.

There is some information about the Combi-Zone pocket coil on the Leggett & Platt site here.

Phoenix

I tried the link for Leggett and Platt in this article and received a 404 error. Here is a working link. Error 404: Not Found - L&P Bedding Group. I’m not sure how to imped this link into the quoted reply so that it flows with the article.

Hi TooTall513.

Thank you for the active Link. TMU is in the process or repairing the handful of 404 errors on our 100,000+ page website. :slight_smile:

Phoenix