Bed bug cover for new mattress

Hi Brie12,

These are not the same as the old vinyl type of mattress protectors that were “crinkly” and the membrane is part of the reason that they would be bed bug proof (along with a zipper that doesn’t allow the nymphs to pass through if a few teeth are open). For most people they would have little effect on the feel of the mattress and the fact that they are waterproof is secondary. I don’t know of any other “non membrane type” that I would consider if I had bed bugs.

I’ve just added this to my first reply in this thread but there is some great information here about bed bugs and they have more information about encasements here (including some brand specific testing) and they also have a very active and informative bed bug forum here.

You can read my thoughts about airbeds in general here (as you can see I am not a fan). There is also a list of many of the airbed manufacturers in post #3 here and some of the things I would look for in an airbed for those that choose to go in this direction in post #2 here. I would also keep in mind that the type of mattress you use will have little to do with bedbugs because bedbugs don’t live in foam materials either (and will tend to be in the seams of the mattress cover or in any spaces they can find not inside the mattress material itself). Your mattress isn’t the the only place that a bedbug can hide as well (and a foundation can hide bedbugs better than a mattress) so which type of mattress you use would have little to do with keeping them at bay … especially if you use an encasement.

Phoenix