Bed construction question?

I’ve did a lot of research and have made up my mind the type of bed i want. I want a hybrid type mattress consisting of a pocketed coiled base and a talalay latex top. I’m looking at a variety of small name brand mattress in my area: Vero, Bemco, & lebida (might look at denver also). There is one thing that confused me today. I called verlo and asked if they had that style of mattress. I wasn’t aware before that the actually make the mattresses there but he told me they could make something close to that style of mattress but not close. He said this would be the construction from bottom to top:

1 inch of traditional inner spring (855 coils)
2.5 inch of micro coils (which he said was pretty much pocketed coils).
1 in of polyurethane
2 inches of natural latex (they had their own unique marketing name for the latex but he did say it was a natural latex).

Ok my question is why the pocketed coils on top of a traditional inner spring? Does this help reduce cost or is there an actual advantage to this configuration.

As an aside one thing i was impressed with verlo is the said since they make the mattress there is they could adjust the mattress over time say after a 12 years and you would have to pay a lot less money (few $100) rather than buy a new mattress as stuff naturally breaks down

Hi sleepaholic,

[quote]1 inch of traditional inner spring (855 coils)
2.5 inch of micro coils (which he said was pretty much pocketed coils).
1 in of polyurethane
2 inches of natural latex (they had their own unique marketing name for the latex but he did say it was a natural latex).[/quote]

I think there may have been something lost in the translation here. If the innerspring is a “traditional” innerspring then it would be thicker than 1". If it was only 1" it would be a microcoil like the 2.5" microcoil you listed but it’s unlikely that there would be two microcoils in the mattress. The mattress components that you listed would need to add up to the thickness of the mattress and the components you listed would make a mattress that was only 6.5" tall.

Microcoils are a type of pocket coil that uses lower gauge steel that is softer and they are generally used as comfort layers to replace foam materials instead of as a support system like “traditional” pocket coils. They are a good quality and durable component. You can read more about them in this article and in post #8 here and post #2 here.

If you can confirm the specs of the mattress (and confirm that they add up to the thickness of the mattress) and post them on the forum then I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials and components and the mattress as a whole.

I would also want to know the type of latex (either Talalay or Dunlop) so you can make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

Phoenix

You right. The guy i talked to on the phone was confused or something because i actually repeated the layers and he said yes that’s right. Anyways i went there today and he was incorrect so anyways it has from bottom to top
7 in traditional inner spring
2.5 in pocketed coils
1 in of HDF
2 in of “dunlop” latex

When i went in the woman i talked to thought it was talalay but i made her verify and she called me later today and said it was dunlop. Of all the mattresses we look at today the wife was most impressed with verlo to be honest. We looked at bemco, verlo, & lebeda. Price usually was around $1,300 but we did find one we liked (though not the best) at lebeda that was $700 that was composed of individual pocketed coils + 2 in of talalay latex.

The only online mattress we are considering is Charles Rogers Powercore Estate 5000. The big disadvantage of course is we don’t get to lay on the bed before we buy it.

So anyways why the combination of traditional inner spring with pocketed coils?

Hi sleepaholic,

The specs make more sense now although I would want to know about the type and thickness of any quilting materials used in the cover.

If the specs are correct and there are no missing layers (such as any quilting materials used in the cover) then the only material that has missing specs is the 1" of HD polyfoam which is missing the density but since it’s only an inch it wouldn’t be a weak link in the mattress. If there is an inch or more of quilting materials used in the cover then I would want to know the density of the 1" polyfoam layer as well.

Microcoils are used as a comfort or transition layer and they have a different “feel” and response from foam materials that some people prefer compared to other types of comfort layers or components. They are more “springy” and also can provide more lateral (side to side) movement than most foams. While there are several companies that make them … it’s probable that it’s the 2.4" softech microcoil made by Leggett & Platt. They are generally less costly than specialty foams such as latex or memory foam but they are a durable component that wouldn’t be a weak link in a mattress. Just like the choice of any type of material or component in a mattress … it’s just a preference choice that some people prefer compared to other combinations of materials and components.

Phoenix