Bed in a box experiment in Canada (Hamuq and Logan & Cove so far)

Hello,

I’m new to TMU and I really appreciate the information and resources on this site. After 14 years on our current mattress it is time to find a new one. Unfortunately I started out using the trial and error method before finding this resource to help the search. Reading reviews online has been a frustrating experience and hasn’t yielded great results.

So far we have tried two Canadian options. The first attempt was the Hamuq hybrid which after 30 night sleep trial my wife found she was waking up with back pain. The company offered a topper which helped her issue but was causing me to wake up with bad low back back pain that only worsened in the 3 days of using the topper (too soft for me). I am 6’3" and 265 lbs and she is 5’6" and 150 lbs, both of us are side sleepers. After a bit of a wait for Hamuq to locate a willing charity to accept the mattress we were able to return it for a full refund. The Hamuq was almost a keeper, it felt good to me, my wife was sleeping longer on it and it slept cool. The edge support was poor and if it wasn’t for my wife’s sore back that would have been my only complaint.

Attempt number two is the Logan and Cove in Medium Plush. My wife took an immediate dislike to this mattress and was unable to even fall asleep on it after 4 nights. Her back pain would start after a few minutes laying on the mattress. We reached out to the company to see if they had any sleep tips and they emailed me and said that anything we might try to do to soften up the mattress would void the warranty and basically it is too bad that it isn’t working for you but continue to sleep on it and then you can get a refund after 30 days. Not too helpful, not overly comfortable and my wife wasn’t sleeping any longer when she did sleep, it does have great edge support though compared to the Hamuq.

When we switch back to our banana shaped old mattress my wife immediately feels better. She is not normally prone to having a sore back and is getting frustrated with the whole process. One of the drivers for pursuing a new mattress was my wife having trouble sleeping enough. The Hamuq seemed to improve how long she could sleep where the L&C and our old mattress do not.

We are now going back to trying mattresses in store with the information we have from this site.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with not liking their mattress right away? From everything I read it is usually the opposite and problems multiply after the trial period. For my wife she doesn’t notice the back problem until the next day so trying them in store might not be helpful. I’m currently quite interested in the MFC presto due to the interchangeable layers and the split king version should allow my wife and I to customize our sides of the bed. Anybody have feedback on the presto in either version?

We made it to a reputable somewhat local shop to try mattresses and I wasn’t a huge fan of the dunlop latex. My wife liked it but i think we both preferred the talalay. However most of the mattresses were out of our price range and were non returnable. I do understand the reasoning for not accepting mattress returns (which is why the online bed in a box places donate them to charity). I just can’t take a chance spending between 4-6K on a mattress that might not work out for us. I’m really leaning toward the MFC at this point. It is pretty obvious that we need a different solution for each of us and something that we can at least tweak if we can’t return it…

You know that you can get a latex mattress through one of the trusted members on this site for WAY less then what you are seeing in the store…

Look at Arizona Premium Mattress or SleepEZ. Both are super helpful, very knowledgeable, and much more affordable. :slight_smile:

Hey cusco,

Welcome to the TMU Forum :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your kind words on the site and for your question. And please accept my apologies for the delayed response, your post got a little buried underneath the later comments on the thread.

Congrats on your mattress shopping journey! Sorry to hear of yours and your wife’s back pain/ comfort issues; it can often be challenging to find the right blend of comfort and support needs for two people with varying degrees of BMI, there is a bit of difference between yours and hers. In general, people with a higher BMI (you) need firmer, thicker comfort layers and firmer support layers than those who are lighter (your wife). You may find Phoenix’s article “Designing the Right Mattress for Us” interesting, it explains the benefits of zone design and split mattresses for providing a more personalized comfort/ support experience in a dual sleeping environment.

L&C’s Medium Plush features 8" zonal pocketed coils in a 14.5 / 13.5 / 14.5 coil gauge, similar to Leggett & Platt’s Quantum Edge support system, providing a more firm edge support “feel” you preferred as compared to the Hamuq Hybrids’ foam encased edge support system. From the immediate back pain your wife describes upon laying on the mattress, the L&C doesn’t seem to provide enough support in the upper comfort layers, sorry to hear how frustrating this process has been so far for you both. I’d like to recommend several more articles by Phoenix for your review, “Five Steps to your Perfect Mattress”, “The Basic Functions of a Mattress”, as well as “Mattress Durability Guidelines”

In terms of the “comfort” of a mattress, which is mainly about pressure relief, your mattress needs to conform to your body shape and form a cradle deep enough to spread your weight over the surface of the mattress and relieve pressure points. This is referred to as “sinking IN”. No question that after 14 years it is time to retire your current mattress. You haven’t said but I gather it is an innerspring system based on your interest in hybrids. What mattress were you sleeping on and what are some of the qualities you like about it?

[quote]Has anyone else had a similar problem with not liking their mattress right away? From everything I read it is usually the opposite and problems multiply after the trial period. For my wife she doesn’t notice the back problem until the next day so trying them in store might not be helpful.
[/quote]

I won’t comment either way on this as each person’s experience is uniquely different from another’s and is one of the reasons manufacturers offer the assurance of a sleep trial period and comfort exchanges within an extended period of time. A truly knowledgeable and transparent manufacturer/ retailer, such as the many fine TMU trusted members will also offer their knowledge and expertise to help guide you through the mattress selection process. This article “Finding a Great Mattress Outlet” will provide ideas on how to identify resources in your area, create a mattress shopping strategy and develop a list of questions for targeting your needs.

Happy to hear that you’re considering TMU expert member MFC’s Presto mattress as a possible choice. MFC has its own “Ask An Expert” forum, Mario and team would be happy to hear from you and help with questions you may have. Looking forward to hearing more about your research and good luck with mattress shopping :wink: .

Thanks,
Sensei

Well it has been quite the wait for the MFC presto to arrive due to covid issues but it is supposed to arrive today. We are excited to give it a try. Logan and Cove was excellent to deal with for the mattress donation and I’m very happy with their customer support.

I will let you know how the presto works out for us

I’ve been “shopping” a lot of the same brand names you have tried!

I was curious if you have you received the Presto yet?

Did the Logan & Cove sleep as cool as the Hamuq? Did either sleep as cool as your existing mattress? I presume your 14 year old mattress was a spring mattress?

Hi there, reviving this thread as I’m also interested in the Canadian “bed in a box” options. I’m looking to purchase a coil mattress as memory foam is wayyy too hot (although very comfortable), and latex is too pricey. I’m primarily a stomach sleeper, 5’9", 155lbs (and sleep hot). Thinking that a hybrid looks good, and am looking at Hamuq.

Does anyone have input on the Hamuq in 2021? ($850 CDN) Almost all reviews on the Hamuq site seem positive, which seems too good to be true!

Many thanks for your insights :slight_smile:

Hey CdnSleeper,

Welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

Congrats on your new mattress shopping adventure :slight_smile: ! Thanks for sharing your personal stats, CdnSleeper; they are useful for better understanding whether the Hamuq Hybrid may be a good fit for you in terms of comfort and support. Unfortunately, their site is lean on component specs and only lists the proprietary foams and coil technology, rather than foam densities and coil specs to better determine the mattress’s durability. When shopping for a mattress (whether online or by showroom), you may find this Phoenix article, “Mattress Specifications You Need to Know” a good tool for discussing basic information and specifications you should know about any mattress you are considering for purchase.

I do not have any personal experience with the Hamuq Hybrid and hope that some other consumers may join in and share their thoughts with you. Please don’t get too hung up on reviews, you will get more “straight talk” where consumers are meeting up to discuss their experiences and even then, you’ll have to listen carefully for biases as paid “influencers” lurk every where these days. Stick with the facts when you can get them directly from the manufacturer; in this case, try emailing [email protected] and use the linked list above to ask for component specs. Once you get those, let us know if you need help deciphering them ;).

Thanks,
Sensei

$850 CDN is pretty low for a Hybrid mattress. Cost has shot up for material and production.

GhostBed makes its mattresses in Canada. The brand is known for its cooling features built in for hot sleepers.

Might want to compare to GhostBed Flex that is a Hybrid mattress.

Sorry it took so long for an update, I just found TMU emails were going to my spam folder and I had totally forgot to update! The HAMUQ mattress slept cool from what I remember just like our spring mattress. My wife and I have really liked the presto mattress from MFC. Interesting thing is we both ended up with identical configurations on our “side” of the mattress, I didn’t see that coming lol. As a hot sleeper I find the mattress sleeps cool, no difference from our old mattress that I can tell. It’s been a great experience so far, with the surprise that we didn’t customize much to get comfortable.

Hey cusco,

Welcome back to TMU :slight_smile: ! Nice to hear from you again and thanks for your update.

Great news that you’re closing in on year one with your Presto mattress and that it has been a great experience for you both so far :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your purchase from expert trusted member MFC, I regard them highly for their deep knowledge in mattress design and years of experience working with multiple foam categories. Glad to hear that the mattress sleeps cool for you both and that you are resting well. That is curious how each of you decided on the same individual configurations for layering but it’s still cool that you could have gone a different way had you chosen to :wink: . Please update the forum with your Presto as time goes by, we would enjoy a year 2 check-in of your experience.

Thanks,
Sensei