Bed in a box experiment in Canada (Hamuq and Logan & Cove so far)

Hey cusco,

Welcome to the TMU Forum :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your kind words on the site and for your question. And please accept my apologies for the delayed response, your post got a little buried underneath the later comments on the thread.

Congrats on your mattress shopping journey! Sorry to hear of yours and your wife’s back pain/ comfort issues; it can often be challenging to find the right blend of comfort and support needs for two people with varying degrees of BMI, there is a bit of difference between yours and hers. In general, people with a higher BMI (you) need firmer, thicker comfort layers and firmer support layers than those who are lighter (your wife). You may find Phoenix’s article “Designing the Right Mattress for Us” interesting, it explains the benefits of zone design and split mattresses for providing a more personalized comfort/ support experience in a dual sleeping environment.

L&C’s Medium Plush features 8" zonal pocketed coils in a 14.5 / 13.5 / 14.5 coil gauge, similar to Leggett & Platt’s Quantum Edge support system, providing a more firm edge support “feel” you preferred as compared to the Hamuq Hybrids’ foam encased edge support system. From the immediate back pain your wife describes upon laying on the mattress, the L&C doesn’t seem to provide enough support in the upper comfort layers, sorry to hear how frustrating this process has been so far for you both. I’d like to recommend several more articles by Phoenix for your review, “Five Steps to your Perfect Mattress”, “The Basic Functions of a Mattress”, as well as “Mattress Durability Guidelines”

In terms of the “comfort” of a mattress, which is mainly about pressure relief, your mattress needs to conform to your body shape and form a cradle deep enough to spread your weight over the surface of the mattress and relieve pressure points. This is referred to as “sinking IN”. No question that after 14 years it is time to retire your current mattress. You haven’t said but I gather it is an innerspring system based on your interest in hybrids. What mattress were you sleeping on and what are some of the qualities you like about it?

[quote]Has anyone else had a similar problem with not liking their mattress right away? From everything I read it is usually the opposite and problems multiply after the trial period. For my wife she doesn’t notice the back problem until the next day so trying them in store might not be helpful.
[/quote]

I won’t comment either way on this as each person’s experience is uniquely different from another’s and is one of the reasons manufacturers offer the assurance of a sleep trial period and comfort exchanges within an extended period of time. A truly knowledgeable and transparent manufacturer/ retailer, such as the many fine TMU trusted members will also offer their knowledge and expertise to help guide you through the mattress selection process. This article “Finding a Great Mattress Outlet” will provide ideas on how to identify resources in your area, create a mattress shopping strategy and develop a list of questions for targeting your needs.

Happy to hear that you’re considering TMU expert member MFC’s Presto mattress as a possible choice. MFC has its own “Ask An Expert” forum, Mario and team would be happy to hear from you and help with questions you may have. Looking forward to hearing more about your research and good luck with mattress shopping :wink: .

Thanks,
Sensei