Bed in a Box

Hi Phoenix, I am about to purchase the mattress below and concerned about the chemicals that are used to make it. Do you know anything about it ? Do you believe it to be safe ? Would really appreciate your input.

Natural Silk Elegance Comfort Adjust GEL Memory Foam Mattress
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: BedInABox® Mattresses - Better Sleep Is A Box Away™ | BedInABox

-TheSleepy1

Hi TheSleepy1,

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: BedInABox® Mattresses - Better Sleep Is A Box Away™ | BedInABox

You can see my comments about Bedinabox in post #2 here. I would be very cautious with any mattress that uses more than “about an inch or so” of 3 lb memory foam which is a lower quality and less durable material that doesn’t meet the minimum quality/durability guidelines I would generally suggest and I would consider this to be a weak link in their mattresses which I would avoid.

In terms of “safety” … there is more information in post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and “green” mattresses and mattress materials and components that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and answer “how safe is safe enough for me” so you can decide on the types of materials you are most comfortable having in your mattress. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, beliefs, and lifestyle choices.

There is also more about some of the more common “safety” certifications in post #2 here and while a safety certification has nothing to do with the quality or durability of a mattress … their foam layer are CertiPUR-US certified so for most people they would certainly be “safe enough” even though they are using lower quality/density memory foam than I would consider.

The best place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps most importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

If you are looking at online options then the mattress shopping tutorial also includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types and categories of mattresses (including memory foam mattresses) in a wide range of budgets, firmness levels, and with return/exchange policies that would be well worth considering.

Phoenix