Bed Selection Dilemma!

Soooo…I have gone thru all the research (well not all as it is information saturation on the site but great nonetheless)!!
We went to most all the “recommended locations and then turned online to get a better bang for our bucks…Finally chose one after much deliberation ( V-Zone from Flo-Bed- $3000) and I called to order it and wham…due to our sleeping position it is not recommended… :sick: :sick:
This only took about 2 months to decide!
Anyway here is our new dilemma as it was never caught in any of our try-outs or discussions…
We basically sleep like spoons…seriously…I think we could sleep on a twin with spare room…
My wife is 100lbs and I’m 200lbs…I can see how this is hard for a mattress to keep up…
Should I put a pair of 2” X 10’s" under our sleep area to avoid a sag…LOL!
You gotta laugh…any suggestions…

Hi cdisracerx,

[quote]We went to most all the "recommended locations and then turned online to get a better bang for our bucks…Finally chose one after much deliberation ( V-Zone from Flo-Bed- $3000) and I called to order it and wham…due to our sleeping position it is not recommended… :sick: :sick:
This only took about 2 months to decide![/quote]

While I understand that it isn’t what you were hoping to hear … it’s always good to hear that a manufacturer or retailer has the integrity to tell you when they believe a mattress wouldn’t be a good match for you.

Were they concerned about the split layers … and did they make any other recommendations or suggestions?

[quote]Anyway here is our new dilemma as it was never caught in any of our try-outs or discussions…
We basically sleep like spoons…seriously…I think we could sleep on a twin with spare room…
My wife is 100lbs and I’m 200lbs…I can see how this is hard for a mattress to keep up…
Should I put a pair of 2" X 10’s" under our sleep area to avoid a sag…LOL!
You gotta laugh…any suggestions… [/quote]

It would depend on the reason for their concern but I doubt that adding a pair of 2 x 10’s under the mattress would make a difference.

There is more information in the first part of post #2 here about some of the different ways that can help accommodate a couple that have different needs and preferences but when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specific options they have available based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences than anyone else.

Phoenix

Absolutely about the integrity of the manufacturer and sorry I did not post that…
I sincerely appreciated the honesty from Flo Bed as we could have made the purchase and been upset for all the wrong reasons… I think they have about as good of a sleep product for the money out there when you are considering the majority of the information provided on this site… Kudos’!
That said yes, our dilemma is in part due to the “split” in the bed having one side for one of us and a different one for the other and if you happen to fall into the middle of the split…what is that going to feel like…?
We currently sleep on a full or regular size bed and it’s plenty of room…I’m 6’and she’s 5.4’ we both like the comfort of a bed that initially feels soft and supports every inch as you gradually sink into heaven…our bed of 7 years (nice though we thought after learning about all the variable) has a nice trough in the middle and you roll up and out of it…
FYI - I was only kidding about the 2 x 10’s…that was a joke in case someone did not quite get it…
Would we be better to look at a more traditional coil spring bed like the V-Spring.?
Is the organic latex not necessarily the better option for our situation.?
I’ll study some more on part #2 for the moment…
I’ve had 3 back surgeries so getting a good nights sleep is very important to the both of us so I’m getting a bit desperate…in this quest…
Any comments / help /suggestions is greatly appreciated
Big Thanks Phoenix!

Hi cdisracerx,

[quote]Would we be better to look at a more traditional coil spring bed like the V-Spring.?
Is the organic latex not necessarily the better option for our situation.?
Any comments / help /suggestions is greatly appreciated[/quote]

The choice between different types of materials and components in a mattress is really a preference choice rather than a “better/worse” choice so there isn’t one type of material or mattress that is inherently “better” than another one. Regardless of the type of materials or components in a mattress … it’s the specific design of the mattress (the type, thickness, firmness, and arrangement of the layers and components) that will make the difference between a mattress that is a good match for both of you in terms of PPP and one that isn’t.

It’s certainly possible that some mattresses that don’t have side to side zoning will work well for both of you. It’s also possible that a split firmness mattress that has less of a differential between the two sides will also work well (either with a smaller difference between each side or with split layers that are deeper in the mattress where the effect of the split will be a little less noticeable).

If you are looking at other online options then again the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with the retailer or manufacturer you are considering backed up with a good exchange/return policy “just in case” your actual experience indicates that the choice you make doesn’t turn out as well as either you or the retailer/manufacturer you are dealing with hoped it would. I would make sure that you let them know the specifics of how you sleep so they can take that into account in their suggestions. I would also keep in mind that the suggestions and recommendations made by online retailers/manufacturers are always “best efforts” based on their experience and on the “averages” of other couples that are similar to you but not everyone or every couple fits the “averages” of others that seem to be similar and they also can’t feel what you feel on a mattress so in the end the only way to know for certain how any mattress choice will turn out for certain in “real life” is based on your own actual sleeping experience.

If you are looking at local options then your own careful testing (with both of you on the mattress in your normal sleeping position) will be the most reliable way to know whether a mattress is a good match for both of you and your sleeping style.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix1
I had to read your response several times to get the breadth of it and very slowly…I never knew so much went into a mattress until the last couple of months1
We oworked it out with the aforementioned provider and Dewey made an exception and did (3) 3" layers the full width to avoid the split down the middle using medium firm firm with a wool cotton 1& 1/2" topper…All the latex is organic chemical free…
Lastly, I did tell the salespeople at the store tryouts how we slept and then we showed them…then they had to cut the lights out and send the kids out…lol.laughter…you gotta lighten up a bit Phoenix…
So many thanks for you and everyones assistance!
CD

Hi cdisracerx,

It’s great to hear that they were able to work with you and make some custom changes that would help you. That’s one of the advantages of working with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer like Flobeds.

Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Perhaps more stores should have a separate room for “X-rated mattress testing” just for their customers that are similar to you. It might even help some of their customers make some better mattress choices or at the very least they might enjoy mattress shopping a little more!

I’m 6’ 5 1/2" and I weigh about 200 lbs and most of my friends and family tell me that if anything I need to add some weight even though I can eat like a horse so I’m not so sure they would agree that “lightening up” would be a great idea :slight_smile:

Phoenix