Bed Supports/ Foundation

Just a quick question to the community. I have a slatted wood foundation with lumbar support (slats 3 inches apart) to support a bed with a firm polyfoam base. My foundation is half an inch too narrow for the bed. Is this a problem? The bed is a queen sized latex/foam hybrid.

Hi mocmclean,

No … 1/4" of “overhang” on each side (or even 1/2" on one side) won’t be an issue and it’s not uncommon that there are small differences in size between a foundation and a mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix.

I have also just realized that it is 1 inch too short. I am hoping it is not an issue length wise, as we are slightly shorter than average, so maybe that mattress could hand a little near the bottom. Are we right in thinking this?

I should also note that once we add the cover to the foundation, it adds an extra half inch in width and length-- though obviously no support making it 60X79.5. is this typical in foundations that state they are 60X80?

Do mattress manufacturers typically measure the mattress after the cover is on the mattress–so would a 60X80 potentially be more like 59.5X79.5? Anyway we are hoping this will work.

Hi mocmclean,

Mattresses typically can vary +/- 1" compared to the ISPA industry standard dimensions for mattresses that are listed here.

There can also be some variation in the size of foundations or box springs between different manufacturers and it’s not uncommon at all that they are a little smaller than the mattress so that they can fit more easily into a bedframe (they can’t “squish” like a mattress).

Small differences between the width or length between a mattress and a foundation isn’t an issue at all and won’t compromise the support of the mattress.

Phoenix