Bedinabox

Hi elotrolado,

This is certainly a very good option to have IMO. There are quite a few of the manufacturing members of the site which make mattresses that offer various options to choose your own layering and switch out layers either to change the feel and performance or to replace a layer that may soften faster than the deeper layers in the mattress. They are listed in post #21 here.

Unfortunately your $1000 budget for a queen is generally too low for a layered latex mattress and even a little on the low side for a high quality 6" latex mattress but you are well within the range for a latex hybrid which has a few inches of latex over a polyfoam support core.

A few examples of these include …

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_home-garden?_encoding=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Dreamfoam%20Bedding&node=1055398

There may also be similar mattresses available to you locally.

Phoenix.

Ok, so I have read more on your site and I’m about to test out latex @ BayBeds where I live. I still want a mattress with the swap out option of layers. It seems I could get this kind of mattress in high quality memory foam for significantly less than latex (Queen @ $800 on sale at Rocky Mtn versus $1195 at SleepEZ), but the latex may be of better valuable due to it’s superior durability.

So, since I’m trying to stay within budget, $1000-$1300, I’m wondering how much difference the profile and number of layers actually makes. For example, what would be the difference between these two mattresses from SleepEz, aside from the price. In other words, is the $450 increase worth it for the more expensive mattress?

1. the 7": two 3" layers of either Talalay Blend or Dunlop plus cotton/wool cover $1195

2. the 8": a 2" Talalay Blend and 6" Dunlop core plus cotton/wool cover $1675

thank you, kaleo

I was in error, the memory foam mattress I cited from Rocky Mtn, is the Cool Comfort, with four layers, on sale at $999 for a queen. 10 inches thick:
Two 3 inch layers of high-density Reflex foam in the core
2 inch layer of 5 lb. Sensus brand memory foam
2 inch layer of 4 lb. Aerus brand memory foam
Removable Zippered CoolMax Cover

Hi elotrolado,

While it’s true that latex in general is more durable than memory foam … they are also an apples to oranges comparison. Memory foam and latex are about as different as two materials can be and the choice between them would normally be based on preference and the many differences in feel and performance rather than “value”. Value comparisons would be more meaningful between mattresses made of the same materials.

Besides the differences in materials … the many different combinations of layering and is the most important part of creating mattresses with different type of feel and performance. Even small changes in layering can make a big difference in how well a mattress meets the needs and preferences of a particular individual. Post #2 here has more about this and the “putting the layers together” section of the site has more as well. Layering is critical to creating the feel and performance that makes one mattress “better” than another for each unique person.

This is something that can only be answered by each person but the 2" of softer material on top can make a large difference in the feel and performance of that mattress and in it’s ability to relieve pressure. For someone that couldnt feel a difference (which would be very unlikely) or for someone where the 6" version worked “perfectly” for their body type, sleeping positions, and preferences … then there would be little benefit or value in choosing a thicker mattress with a softer comfort layer. In the same way … for someone where a 9" mattress with certain layers worked “perfectly” there would also be little benefit in choosing something thicker. For those where the 6" mattress was too thin to produce the feel and performance they wanted … then no matter what the cost difference the thicker mattress would be worth it. There would be little value on a personal level to a mattress that didn’t fit your needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences).

I would rather have a mattress that fit my needs and preferences but used lower quality and less durable materials (so it would fit my budget) than have a mattress that didn’t but was better quality and more durable. There is little value IMO of sleeping on a mattress that doesn’t “work” no matter what the quality or value or the materials in it.

Phoenix

Ok, I’m getting close to making a choice, I promise. I will go out and test a latex mattress locally, but want to see what you think of these 2 low price mattresses by DreamFoam, sold I think, only on Amazon. Below are the product descriptions from Amazon, but first are my specific questions:

1. The second bed, though more expensive, $900 versus $600, might fulfill my desire for replacing layers when the top one wears out, thereby extending the longevity of the mattress and overall cost over time. Does this make sense to think this way?

2. Is the HR Base foam of sufficient density (2.35lb) and what might I expect in terms of longevity compared to most latex mattresses?

3. The first bed is really only 33% latex, the second one even less, as the core in both are “2.35 pound high density convoluted base foam”. The more expensive mattress having this at 8 inches versus 5.5, the rest of each mattress seems to be exactly the same. What would be the differences other than the obvious profile between these two?

4. What do you think of the quality and comfort of the bamboo cover and what is “1.5” of super soft reflex foam"?

5. Any idea how they do this: “custom tailored to your desired firmness”?

6. Any other important questions I should ask them?

$600 Queen 10" Ultra Plush Latex Mattress with Bamboo Cover. All our latex mattresses are custom tailored to your desired firmness. After purchase every customer will be contacted by customer support via email to discuss a firmness level on your latex mattress. All of our latex mattresses are made to order, it is tough buying a latex mattress online and with this option you can have a firm, medium firmness or soft latex mattress custom made for you. 3 inches of Talalay Latex foam instantly conforms to each unique contour of your body for exceptional, orthopedic support and pressure relief. Quilted Bamboo cover contains 100% biodegradable bamboo fibers with 1.5 inches of super soft reflex foam. Softer than cotton but with four times the moisture absorbency of cotton for a drier, cooler more comfortable sleep. 5.5 inch 2.35 pound high density convoluted base foam for increased air flow and conformability. The gentle conforming support of latex foam reduces high-pressure areas that shut off capillary blood flow causing a person to toss and turn. This alleviates pressure and helps bring oxygen and nutrients to your muscles, so you awake feeling recharged and renewed. -Ideal for allergy sufferers, Talalay latex mattresses are hypoallergenic and breathable -Optimal orthopedic support, naturally conforming to body contours. -Luxurious resilience and feel -Enhanced breathability -Resistant to moisture and heat -Superior pressure relief that helps bring oxygen and nutrients to musclesQueen 10" Ultra Plush Latex Mattress with Bamboo Cover
Talalay Latex and 2.35 pound high density HR Base foam 100% Made in the USA

$900 Queen 12" Ultra Plush EuroTop Latex Mattress with Bamboo Zipper Cover. All our latex mattresses are custom tailored to your desired firmness. After purchase every customer will be contacted by customer support via email to discuss a firmness level on your latex mattress. All of our latex mattresses are made to order, it is tough buying a latex mattress online and with this option you can have a firm, medium firmness or soft latex mattress custom made for you. The 3 inches of Talalay Latex foam instantly conform to each unique contour of your body for exceptional, orthopedic support and pressure relief. Quilted Bamboo cover contains 100% biodegradable bamboo fibers with 1.5 inches of super soft reflex foam. The 8 inch 2.35 pound high density convoluted base foam for increased air flow and conformability. The gentle conforming support of latex foam reduces tossing and turning. Ideal for allergy sufferers, Talalay latex mattresses are hypoallergenic and breathable -Optimal orthopedic support, naturally conforming to body contours. -Luxurious resilience and feel -Enhanced breathability. The Queen 12" Ultra Plush EuroTop Latex Mattress with Bamboo Zipper Cover is a unique mattress because it allows you to change the comfort level (softness) of the mattress by adjusting the density of the Latex. The Zipper Cover on this mattress cannot be washed or dry-cleaned. If you purchase our mattress and are not satisfied with the comfort level, we will allow you to exchange the density of the latex for a small fee. We will still contact you to customize your latex mattress, but you now have an option if you are not completely satisfied.

Hi Elotrolado,

Dreamfoam (Brooklyn Bedding) is a member of this site which means that I believe they are among the best quality/value in the country. There are many dozens of posts about them in the forum including many reviews by members who have bought them. A forum search on Ultimate Dreams (you can just click this) will bring most of them up (there are a lot of posts).

This is what is called a latex/polyufoam hybrid. The comfort layers are usually the weak link of a mattress and when this uses latex and has a good quality polyfoam base under it then it will be a very durable mattress. The quilting layer is 1.5" of soft polyfoam which is used to add to the surface softness or “hand feel” of the comfort layer and lower the resilience slightly compared to sleeping directly on the latex. It is already very soft and thin enough that further softening of the polyfoam won’t affect the durability of the mattress. The base polyfoam used in the support layers is very high quality (equivalent to the polyfoam used in Tempurpedic for example).

All the various versions have a 3" latex comfort layer and their customers can choose the ILD (softness/firmness) of the latex to customize the feel of the mattress. They have a 1 - 10 scale which they use to help keep the choices simple and the ILD of the choices ranges from 19 to 36. They can also customize the quilting layer for “in between” choices.

The Ultimate Dreams Ultra Plush is a finished mattress so it’s important to choose well (I would call them to discuss your choice) because there is no exchange on the mattress. They are good at helping their customers make good choices though as the feedback indicates. the Eurotop has the benefit of a zip cover so if for any reason you need to change your comfort layer choice you can do so at a very reasonable cost They charge you either $200 for a king size or $150 for smaller sizes and then ship the new layer. When you receive it … you ship the old layer back (shipping is prepaid) and then they refund you half of the original charge. While the cost of the Eurotop is higher … the risk is lower. They can also use a different ILD on each side of a king size for couples who may wish to have different firmness levels.

As you mention this also allows you to change out the latex layer down the road if necessary (although this wouldn’t be through the comfort exchange policy of course).

These are very good value for those who don’t have the budget for an all latex mattress and want a high quality alternative that still has many of the benefits of latex in the comfort layers.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

PS: if you do order this mattress … make sure you let them know you are a forum member so you will also receive your free shredded latex pillow.

Hi, Phoenix. So, after getting sidetracked with other priorities, I’m back at searching for the right mattress.

I did go out and try latex and memory foam mattresses at my local store recommended by MU, BayBed and Mattress. I loved the owner who was laid back and very helpful. After trying a number of beds, the one I liked best was the Queen Royal Plush. It has an unusual construction: bottom spring coil followed by 4 layers of Talalay latex: the bottom layer is a spring coil “individually pocketed spring unit with heavier gauge coils in the center third. the coils are encased in high density foam for a firm, yet comfortable edge for both sitting and sleeping.” the next 3 layers are of Talalay latex of different firmnesses, or, my favorite was the top layer being soft memory foam. All 4 foam layers are exchangeable and interchangeable as they are enclosed in a zip case. The only problem with this one is the price: $1400

So now I’m trying to decide between this one which is over my budget and the latex/polyfoam hybrid from Dreamfoam for $900. It also has a zip cover which allows for swapping out the $3" comfort layer.

I like the idea of buying local for a number of reasons, and I don’t get to try out the Dreamfoam a head of time as it is mail order only, but can swap out the comfort layer for a different density if I’m not satisfied, though for an extra charge. However, the $400 price difference between the two is significant.

Any last thoughts you’d suggest considering as I choose between the two?

thanks much.

Hi elotrolado,

Both of the mattresses you are considering are exceptional value and you are choosing between some of the best value in the country. The BayBed has more costly components and is a more sophisticated layering which of course is the reason for the higher price.

I would personally tend to lean towards a mattress that I had personally tested … particularly with a layering that was more sophisticated and that you wouldn’t be able to duplicate with just a latex/polyfoam hybrid … if the value was as good as BayBed and where the layering seemed to ft your needs and preferences as well as they did.

This is one of those choices that only you can really make but I can tell you that I would put them both in the “best value” category and I would put an extra “value” as well on a mattress that I had personally tested.

Phoenix

Thank you, Phoenix. As always, your information and advice are superb.

I think I will try to negotiate a deal to get the Bay Bed mattress, including the MU discount of course.:slight_smile:

Best to you and MU!

I buy into the fact that maybe with bedinabox’s 3lb foam in there Pacbeds may be on the weak side. Did I ask you about there new 100% Natural Latex bed and if this is a quality construction with no weak points?

Hi Wrewster,

You can see my comments about their Purity mattress in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix and I’ll take a closer look into Spindle and some of the others as well!!!

I am new here and looking to find a new bed to replace my 2 year old Bed in a box mattress. Twice now they have taken down my bad review on there site so now you know why they only have good reviews. I spend over $1700 on a Tranquility Gel mattress and foundation. I am in constant pain sleeping on this mattress and their warranty is a scam as mentioned on here (mattress has to show an in of sag for warranty). Maybe I can flip it over to get a little more life out of it? Or put on a topper but I really dont think I can bear sleeping on it much longer as it is.
I found this forum (from this thread https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/tuft-and-needle-vs-bed-in-a-box) as was possibly looking at Tuft and Needled mattress mentioned on Slickdeals from one of the US mattress sales but will do some more research.

TIA for all the great info on here.

aviator79:

Are you able to provide more specifics about what was found defective (if anything) about your Bed in a Box mattress? Those comments could prove to be useful for others, as opposed to saying your comments were removed from their site and that you are uncomfortable. It would be interesting to hear your exact experience.

Regarding warranty, it is commonplace in the mattress industry to measure defect as a certain amount of a measureable depression in the mattress (usually .75" - 2", depending upon the brand). They need an objective standard, so this is one that they use. Comfort, which is subjective, is not an easily quantifiable standard and it is common boilerplate in most mattress warranties to state that comfort preference is not a reason for a warranty replacement.

As for flipping your mattress over and sleeping upon the firmer base core, some people actually do that. However, your mattress will certainly have a firm feel on top and the use of a memory foam or latex topper, depending upon your preference, would be a common addition.

Good luck in finding a solution to your issue!

Hi aviator79,

I’m sorry to hear that you aren’t sleeping well on your mattress. I would also be interested in the content of your review that was removed (using terminology such as “scam” or other inflammatory language is sure to get your review removed from almost any manufacturers site).

In all fairness I certainly wouldn’t call their warranty a “scam” because all warranties in the industry only cover manufacturing defects and don’t cover comfort issues such as choosing a mattress that is too soft or too firm or foam softening which leads to the gradual loss of comfort and support over time unless they also have visible impressions that are deeper than the warranty exclusion (which is usually between .75" and 2" with 1.5" being the most common). Their warranty actually has a smaller exclusion than most manufacturers in the industry. There is more about mattress warranties in post #174 here.

Unfortunately it’s not possible to “diagnose” mattress comfort issues on a forum with any certainty because there are too many unique unknowns, variables, and complexities involved that can affect how each person sleeps on a mattress in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or any “symptoms” they experience but there is more about the most common symptoms that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress and the most likely (although not the only) reasons for them in post #2 here.

The most common reason for lower back pain is a mattress that is too soft or that has developed soft spots or sagging in the foam under the heavier areas of your body (typically the hips/pelvis). This would also be more likely with 3 lb memory foam which is generally a less durable material than higher density memory foam. I would also make sure you check your support system under the mattress isn’t the cause of your issues (you can do this by putting the mattress on the floor for a few nights to see if it makes any difference)

If your mattress either is or has become too soft then there are some suggestions in post #4 here that may be helpful (including flipping it over but you will likely need a topper if you try this).

While a topper can certainly help to soften up a mattress that is in good condition and has no soft spots or sagging in the sleeping surface and just needs some additional softness or pressure relief … it’s much more difficult to firm up a mattress that is too soft or that has developed soft spots or is sagging because a topper will generally just follow any sagging or soft spots in the mattress underneath it. At best a firmer topper may provide a partial or temporary solution and at worst it could make things worse (it could make the top layer you are sleeping on too firm in terms of “comfort” and pressure relief and the layers underneath it may still be too soft to provide good support/alignment.

Phoenix

I bought this mattress 7/11/13 with platform:

Super Saver Special! Tranquility GEL King

• Choose Pillows: None
  • Foundation Option: Standard 1-2 Days $1,349.00 1 $1,349.00
    8" American Hardwood Foundation
  • Size: King 1-2 Days $399.00 1 $399.00
    Sub-Total: $1,748.00
    Total: $1,748.00

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: BedInABox® Official Store - The Original Mattress In A Box

My original review posted on 12/30/13.

[quote]So I bought this because I sleep hot and I prefer firm mattress’. My wife prefers plush but I figured it would not help my back issues and it would sleep hotter. Ive now had this bed since the end of July and have had worse lower back problems, which is unfortunate. At first I assumed there was no way the new mattress was the problem and figured it was something else causing the pain. But my lower back has been in so much pain lately I finally figured out that it is due to sleeping on my stomach on this mattress. On my back I do not have issues but I always toss and turn and find myself waking up on my stomach in the middle of the night with excruciating pain due to the bed causing my lower back to pinch. I would have thought if anything my back would arch up when on my stomach but it is arching down and after a while like that my back is so stiff that I have to take almost a minute just to roll over onto my back (I am 33). I sleep on my stomach because I am a snorer. Ive past the 120 day limit and not sure what bed would be better anyways as I bought this thinking the higher end and firm would be better. Maybe I should have get the even more expensive plush serenity and that would have made it so I could sleep on my stomach and back without getting too hot. I just need to find a way to stay on my back on this bed as I am in pain all day long now and cant afford a new mattress. I will see if I can get a mask to help with snoring and tie myself down so I dont flip over and I will be good.

Obviously I am one of few on here that has this issue so not trying to dissuade others, I am just disappointed after spending so much on this to be worse off than I was on my spring mattress that was 10+ years old and falling apart.[/quote]

My second review was shorter and I posted it 8/11/15. Stated same issues but it had gotten worse. I did not mention scam, just that bed had become extremely uncomfortable… I did not take a screen shot but I cannot find the review anywhere but I recall it being in a new format using facebook. As you can see they now are using yet another format on their site with only 32 reviews on that bed.

This time they immediately called me and send me info for a warranty asking me to take pictures. I have yet to take the pictures because it says I need to have 1" indentation which I do not think I have.

Basically the bed is too firm in some spots so it does not evenly support me or my wife and causes us to ache.

I have an IKEA mattress that I got for free in the basement that is basically like a futon material which is much more comfortable than this bed that cost $1450 without the platform. Its just a crazy amount of money for a bed that lasted 2 years.

Hi aviator79,

I don’t see anything in your first review that I would call “inflammatory” but it also appears to clearly indicate that your mattress wasn’t the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) when you purchased it.

Your comments about the issues you had with stomach sleeping are fairly typical of stomach sleepers who tend to need a firmer mattress to prevent the heavier pelvis from sagging into the mattress and sleeping in a swayback position (which is a common cause of back pain for stomach sleepers).

In very general terms and based on “averages” … side sleepers tend to need a softer mattress because the body has more curves that need to be “filled in” to provide suitable support (such as the waist) and more “pointy parts” (such as the hips and shoulders) that need to sink in more to relieve pressure when you are on your side and generally need thicker and softer upper layers that can contour to the shape of the body more effectively and more deeply. Back sleepers have less curves that need to be filled in (such as the small of the back or lumbar spine) and less “pointy” pressure points and generally do best with a little bit firmer mattress that has either thinner or firmer comfort layers to reduce the risk of their pelvis sinking into the mattress too much which can put the spine out of alignment and cause lower back pain. Stomach sleepers have the flattest and least “curvy” sleeping profile of all and so they tend to need a firmer mattress yet with thinner and/or firmer comfort layers to reduce the risk of their pelvis sinking into the mattress too much and sleeping in a swayback position which can put considerable strain on the lower back and also lead to lower back pain. Stomach sleeping is the “riskiest” sleeping position in terms of back and neck strain (the head is turned sideways which can strain the neck). Putting a thin pillow under the pelvis/lower abdomen may also help prevent stomach sleepers from sleeping in a swayback position

For combination sleepers the best choice is generally a mattress with comfort layers that are “just enough” in terms of the thickness and softness of the upper layers to relieve pressure points when you sleep on your most pressure prone position (generally the side) but not so soft that the pelvis will sink into the mattress too deeply when you are sleeping on your back or stomach which can put your spine out of alignment.

“Support” is often misunderstood and many people believe incorrectly that “firmer is better” or “more supportive” when the real goal of a “supportive” mattress is to keep the spine and joints in good alignment and this requires the type of contouring support that allows some parts of the body to sink in more (softer) and some parts of the body to sink in less (firmer) and this will vary on an individual basis. There is more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support/alignment” and “comfort/pressure relief” and “feel” and how they interact together.

It can be very difficult to change habitual sleeping positions but some people have found that taping a tennis ball to the front of their pajamas have helped them to avoid stomach sleeping because it wakes them up when they switch to their stomach.

Based on your comments and the timing of your first review your issues are clearly be a “comfort” issue (as opposed to a defect or quality issue) that is the result of choosing a mattress that wasn’t a suitable “match” for you in terms of PPP. These types of issues are the reason for their 120 day trial period so that you can try the mattress at home to make sure that you sleep well on it and if you don’t then you can either return the mattress for a refund or exchange the mattress for another one with a different firmness level that would be a more suitable match for you.

Unfortunately if you aren’t sleeping well on a mattress and you decide to keep the mattress longer than the trial period without initiating a return or an exchange then you would lose the exchange/return options that are available to you which are designed to give you enough time to confirm that the mattress you purchased was a suitable choice. In some cases if you call and talk with them and you are only a little over the trial period they may make an exception but it would certainly be too late now to exchange or return your mattress unless it qualifies as “defective” (which as you mentioned is unlikely).

Having said that … it may still be worth calling and talking to them on the phone to see if they have any suggestions that may be helpful.

Phoenix

aviator79:

Thanks for filling in some of the details on your experience.

I would agree with Phoenix that this seems to be a comfort issue and a product that perhaps is inappropriate for your sleeping style. I would follow up on some of the suggestions that Phoenix made, including a call to the company. Taking the time to phone and politely asking if there’s any way in which the company may be of assistance goes a long way, as opposed to the rude and aggressive approach that too many consumers use. It certainly can’t hurt to try.

Also (with variations allowed for your somatotype, level of core strength, fitness and pre-existing conditions) a product with good support and bit of a firmer sleep surface tends to do well for those who sleep mostly upon their stomach, as Phoneix mentioned.

Good luck!

So I bought a topper from Costco. Flipped the Bed-in-a-box mattress over on the Costco bed frame that I had added support beams to because the original were junk (utilized legs that would give out). Sorry for crappy pic but can see that it is solid. I also got a mattress pad from costco to protect the topper. Total of $175. I had been looking at overstock too but figured I would try one from costco first. I am happy to say it seems to have solved the bed problem for now as both my wife and I slept thru the night for the most part last night.

Hi aviator79,

That’s good news … and thanks for the update :slight_smile:

Phoenix