Been sleeping on a SleepEZ 360 Hybrid Pillowtop

HI friends. I’ve been sleeping on the SleepEZ 360 Hybrid Pillowtop since July 2021. The mattress is made from (bottom up) 2" firm latex, 8" pocketed coils, 3" Soft Talalay comfort layer 19-22 ILD, and quilted top. I’m 175lbs female, side sleeper. I’m having terrible shoulder pain. So much that when I get up in the mornings, I can barely lift my arms. It seems like a softer comfort layer would really help my shoulders so I tried unzipping the mattress cover to allow the soft talalay to be even softer; this didn’t make a difference. I also removed the tayalay later, flipped the mattress, then put it on top like a mattress topper. This felt slightly better but just like a 5% improvement.

I need advice from you all. Should I buy a second soft talalay later and make it a mattress topper, thereby sleeping on 6" of soft tally (half inside the mattress cover, the other half on top). The great guys at Sleep EZ thought that may cause me lower back issues since that would be 6" of really soft comfort layers. In my mind it seems like the right way to go since my shoulders are absolutely killing me. Is there another configuration of materials I can add that will solve this issue? I’m totally dumbfounded here and need your valuable advice. Thanks.

Hi Suzycol! Hopefully you get a range of responses because I know you intended to get the opinion of the forum members and not just Sleep EZ’s opinion on this, but I just wanted to chime in really quickly and ask if you’ve considered getting a medium Talalay for inside the cover and then you can use the soft Talalay layer as a topper?

[quote=“Sleep EZ post=91114”]Hi Suzycol! Hopefully you get a range of responses because I know you intended to get the opinion of the forum members and not just Sleep EZ’s opinion on this, but I just wanted to chime in really quickly and ask if you’ve considered getting a medium Talalay for inside the cover and then you can use the soft Talalay layer as a topper?
[/quote]

Suzycol it looks like SleepEZ has a good suggestion but not sure on your BMI (that helps choose proper support layer firmness for you) since we’d also need your height to calculate that. Given what we have so far I would suggest either a 28 or 32ILD talalay (depending on your BMI and sleep position) to go inside the mattress then try the soft talalay as a topper. Later if you are still having trouble with pressure on your shoulder then I would suggest also zoning the talalay layer inside the cover in just the head/shoulder area with soft talalay. What you want is for your torso to be fully supported then your shoulder to push into the bed with very little pressure (zoning in the shoulder area allows this while just doubling the soft layer would not achieve the same result). Zoning does require cutting the foam layers but the end result can help you solve difficult conformity issues you couldn’t otherwise. Again try the support layer first then move to zoning if that doesn’t work.

Mattrebuild, i appreciate your response. My BMI is 28.2 and I’m a side sleeper… Does your recommendation change knowing my BMI?

At that BMI and being a side sleeper I would try the 28ILD talalay first then move up in firmness if you have any issues with support.