Berkeley Ergonomics Alpine = Design Sleep Riviera?

Hello All,

First post from a new member. This site has been extremely helpful for me in understanding how to buy a new mattress. I have read the tutorial a couple of times and followed a number of the threads as well, and I now feel very well informed in approaching the buying process.

My wife and I are in the Columbus OH area, so the list of places close to Columbus in Post #2 was very useful. A few days ago, we drove over to Design Sleep in Yellow Springs, where we spent about an hour and a half with the store manager, Stacy Arnett. The mattress that felt best to us in our initial testing was the Riviera, with separate levels of firmness for her side and my side. It is an innerspring mattress with 2" of Talalay latex on top. Stacy did not pressure us, and he answered questions well (and in ways that matched up entirely with what I had read here). However, when I got home and did some research, I discovered some threads and some pictures that make it look like the mattresses Design Sleep is selling are the same as the BE. Can anyone confirm this or offer information about it? I will give him a call and ask him directly, but I wanted to do my due diligence here first.

We will look at some other mattresses as well, as this one is a little more than we intended to spend, but it was startling to us to discover how much different this mattress felt that the “S” mattress we have been sleeping on for years. Also, we tried the mattress with the adjustable foundation, and we are both in the group for whom the adjustments made a clear and noticeable difference.

Second question: since industry membership is by invitation only, has Design Sleep been invited? if not, please count this as encouragement to do so.

Thanks,

David

Design Sleep and Berkeley are related companies

Thank you, Benson86. Do you know any more about the relationship, or where I can find more information?

Hi Sams Dad,

Thanks for the feedback about Design Sleep … I appreciate it. I also think highly of them and some of the other forum members have had good experiences there as well.

Design Sleep is a dealer for Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses (you can see a list of the retail stores I’m aware of that carry them here) and their Riviera mattress is the same as the Interactive on the Berkeley Ergonomics site. They also have other dealers that use different names as well including the Alpine (see here).

I have talked with them enough to know that they are knowledgeable and helpful and they would certainly fit the profile of a retailer that would be welcome as a member here (and there are currently two BE dealers that are a member of the site) but they have never asked me and our conversations haven’t reached a point where it has even been discussed because I normally don’t “seek out” or “recruit” membership (see post #2 here and post #4 here).

Phoenix

Thanks so much for your quick response, Phoenix. We haven’t entirely made up our mind, but we will keep you posted. Again, interesting and surprising what a clear difference we experienced between firmer and softer latex over innersprings or latex. Looking forward to better sleeping. We will let you know what we decide.

David

Hi Sams Dad,

That would be great and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up choosing … and of course your comments and feedback when you’ve had a chance to sleep on it as well.

Phoenix