Berkeley Ergonomics Malmo

Hi everyone,

I’m slightly computer illiterate so I don’t know if this is the right place to post this question.

Looking for anyone who has experience with the berkeley ergonomics malmo as seen in the link below:

The Malmo has a 2 inch talalay latex layer in either firm/medium, and 5-6 inches of honeycomb nested pocketcoils (1908 for the king size) to form an 8 inch mattress.

My body type is medium to wide shoulders with narrow hips, 6 ft 1", and around 300 pounds. I sleep on my stomach with my head under/over arm. My question is, is this mattress with its 8" of material enough to support me? I have laid on the mattress and it felt comfortable.

Thank you!

Hi scrubs,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :).

Thanks for the post, and you are not “computer illiterate” at all if you made it thus far. :). I moved the post to a new thread about Berkely Ergonomics mattresses.

Other consumers have asked and commented about the Malmo, so take a look at this link Berkeley Ergonomics Malmo vs Oslo where consumers comment about this particular model and about the company itself. If you have more questions after reviewing please don’t hesitate to post again in your thread.

Thanks again for posting with TMU and I look forward to your future questions.
Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix, appreciate the feedback.

We went back today to lie down on the Malmo and really let our bodies sink in that puppy.
After a while we felt that we would like a little more than 2" of latex in between our bodies and the coils. And the sides of the mattress were not as sturdy as others we have tried.
We have been in touch with Ken from mattresses.net, and hope that the shipping to Canada isn’t too much money.
Thanks for all your help!

Hi scrubs,

You are very welcome, and nice work going to test out the Malmo and spending the appropriate amount of time testing it out. It sounds like a very logical conclusion with wanting a bit more latex between your body and the coils. Many consumers feel the same way.

Please message us if you have any other questions, and let us know if you have any updates.

Good luck!
Phoenix

Is it me or do you suspect that the malmo is designed for low profile platform beds. 8" is very aesthetic minded

Hey Cheepomcgee,

I think it was still designed to go on both low and regular height profiles. I can see how it fits into the “style” you reference, but many people choose high profile bases when buying lesser height mattresses, so you really never know, it’s so …particular individual’s style choice.

Thanks,
Sensei

I apologize for posting this here as it’s not completely relative, but I can’t find a way to create a new post. Even the instructions I found from Phoenix only mention to try replying to an active post ofa similar topic, so here goes.

I am so glad to have found this site! Thank you for the wealth of information you provide here. My husband and I are currently in the trial period of our Purple 3, and while he loves it, it’s far too firm for me. As a lightweight side sleeper, I’m waking up tossing and turning because of the pressure on my hips, shoulders, and oddly enough, rib cage. We previously were sleeping on my old memory foam mattress and I loved the way it conformed to my body, but for my husband who is 60 pounds heavier than me, he experienced too much of an “I’m drowning in foam” feeling. We will be returning the Purple, and I’m now on the hunt for a new mattress. Because of how we each felt about the Purple and the old memory foam, a hybrid is sounding like the way to go. A soft comfort layer for me, a good support layer for him.

I originally started at the chain mattress stores looking at the big S-brands. Then I stumbled across this site, learned more about mattress quality and construction, and was lead to the one mattress store in my area that seemed to carry the right quality of mattresses: The Organic Bedroom in Raleigh.

I stopped by today and tested out two mattresses that seemed to fit the bill and be within our budget (there were lots of other options, but well above our budget):

1. Berkeley Ergonomics Highland
  • 2" natural Talalay latex comfort layer
  • Interactive pocketed coil base
  1. Whitney Snow (Whitney is The Organic Bedroom’s own brand)
  • 3" natural Talalay latex comfort layer
  • 4 zone pocketed spring core
  • Hip zone is firmer than other zones. This does concern me because when mattresses are too firm, I have hip pain, but I can’t tell from 20 minutes or so in the store whether this will be the case. Afterall, our Purple 3 felt like it cradled my hips fine when we tried it in store. Then again, will the firmer support layer on the hips be fine as long as I have that 3" comfort layer to cradle them? ( I realize you can’t answer that for me - just thinking aloud here).

I can’t find the Berkeley Highland anywhere but on The Organic Bedroom’s own site, so haven’t been able to read a lot about it, but here’s the info: Berkeley Ergonomics Highland Interactive Coil with Latex Mattress - The Organic Bedroom

As for the Whitney Snow, since Whitney is their house brand, again there’s not a ton of info out there about it: Whitney Snow - All Natural Soft Latex Mattress with Coils - The Organic Bedroom

While I have learned a lot on this site, I only recently discovered it so please consider me to be fairly a newbie. Are there other questions I should ask the store about the above options? Also, what’s your take based on the product info you see for these two? I plan to go back at least a couple more times to lay on them both again, but wanted a more knowledgeable person’s opinion about the construction of each and what major differences may be. Unless others are in my area, there’s probably little experience anyone can share about the Whitney. As for the Highland, I’ve read great things about Berkeley on here: I just have never seen any mention of that particular model and can’t find it listed anywhere else online. The only other Berkeley model they had in store was the Fairmont Gold 7 (man that felt good!), but at $3300 for a king it’s outside of our budget.

I am new to TMU. I have a couple of questions. My hubby and I are looking to buy a natural or organic latex mattress and an split CA King or King adjustable bed. I have been on this site for the better part of two days and I have read lots of great advice, but still not quite sure what to buy.

Me: 53 years old, 5’5", 140 lbs, back & side sleeper
Him: 50 years old, 5’8" 175 lbs, stomach and side sleeper
Both of us are evenly proportioned or possibly narrower in the hips.

Looking at Cozy Pure 10", Sleeping Organic 10& 10", Foam Sweet Foam 13", SleepEZ 13", Zenhaven (Bliss) and Plushbeds.

I feel like I would like a thick mattress with 4 layers because it sounds luxurious. However, is this overkill? Can we get away with 2 or 3?

Any preference in how to layer each of our custom sides?
Based on info I found I am thinking…

me: Soft/medium/medium/firm (assuming 4 layers)
him: Medium/medium/firm/x-firm (assuming 4 layers)
or take out the 1st medium if 3 layers.

We want natural and/or organic 100% latex that if we don’t like it we can easily return or swap out layers - no hassles.

For adjustable beds: I want a zero gravity button, wall-hugger, lumbar support that is ergonomically correct (bends at the proper place. I sometimes need to incline my knee (it swells up). I like to watch tv in bed. The tv is wall mounted high on the wall. Is the pillow tilt a must? I would like good quality components and read that a German Motor is the best. Any suggestions on brands?

Hey jenninsb,

Welcome to our mattress forum :).

Thanks for the post. Great questions and I think you are on the right track for a very nice mattress.

Have you had a chance to lie down on any latex mattresses recently? Regarding the number of layers, it really depends on a lot of different things. It really is about the number of inches. Some manufacturers may use 6" firm as the base mattress then use 3" med, and 2" soft and this three-layer is really nice for them. Another option is to try one of the companies you discussed and use 9inches (3 3" layers) and then decide if you want to add a 2 or 3" topper on top of the mattress.

Most importantly I see that you are getting help from Sleep EZ, which is really the main thing I would have told you to do. Good luck and let us know how it works.

Thanks,
Sensei

Hi Jenninsb, I’m wondering which mattress you ended up purchasing, Berkeley or Whitney Snow, and what the outcome was. We’re in the Raleigh area and thinking of one of those mattresses as well. Thanks!