Best affordable mattress for shoulder and back pain?

I currently have an original Tuft & Needle queen size mattress we bought in 2015. So it’s about 9 yrs old. We have loved it, but i think it’s time for a new mattress as my wife is having back pain and I’ve been getting shoulder pain for about the past 2 months.

We don’t have a budget per say, but would love to stay under $2500 or less. The less the better. That T&N $600 mattress taught me you don’t have to spend thousands for a good mattress.

We prefer firm. The T&N was just about perfect if maybe a tad bit too firm. We don’t want to be enveloped by a mattress. We liked that the edge of the mattress was firm too, so i could sit on the edge.

I’m about 210lbs and wife is about 180lbs, so not small people. We’re also considering upgrading to a king.

We like to sleep cool as well, so hopefully something that isn’t too hot.

We’re located in Dallas, TX so open to locally produced mattresses too, if they exist. So far, I’m reading good things about Brooklyn Bedding? Any suggestions? I’m guessing hybrid is the way to go now?

Also a Costco member in case they offer anything that is good.

Thanks!

Hi globe9,

It sounds like you’ve really made the most of your investment with that original T&N mattress. Considering your weight has remained consistent since then, your assumption about investigating a Brooklyn Bedding actually will offer a step up from what you have been using. The BB Plank Firm seems plausible and aside from it being a bit more firm, it would make a logical choice.

Luckily, the mattress market offers a plethora of options nowadays. If you haven’t already explored all-latex mattresses, there are some excellent medium-firm to firm choices available from brands like @Latex_Mattress_Fact1, @Sleep_EZ, @Arizona_Premium and mattress makers like Coronado with their cushion firm model.

I personally own a Plank Luxe, which is nearing its second year, and it’s been nothing short of fantastic for us. The plank luxe offers an edge to edge thicker gauge support layer, and has an excellent edge support that I would offer provides a long lasting more durable edge support option.

If you’re open to exploring beyond all-foam mattresses, you’ll find even more possibilities to consider.

While Costco’s return policy is convenient, it might be worth consulting with a Trusted Member here at TMU for tailored recommendations. Their expertise in profiling sleepers and making precise mattress suggestions has proven successful over 90% of the time, making them a valuable resource in finding your perfect match.

If you would like to move beyond an all foam mattress, the few Trusted Members mentioned offer hybrids of the all latex options they offer.

You can look at some options other than latex @DLX and @EngineeredSleep have some fantastic options in the hybrid non latex category. They both now offer latex options in their lineup as well.

Shoulder discomfort, neck ache, and even some back pain might suggest the need for a new mattress, yet they could also signal evolving needs and preferences as we age. Nonetheless, it’s vital to ensure that any new mattress you select is complemented by a pillow that suits its feel and firmness, aiding in maintaining proper posture and alignment.

It is suggested that for those passing the 200lb mark, you look for HD foams of at least 1.8lbs, and ILD of the mid 30 range. When choosing memory foam, which I am not sure I would recommend based on your past preferences, you need to stick to foams of 4 or 5lb or more. We also like to keep any mattress to less than 1" of lower quality foam as a mattress will only be as good as its weakest layer.

Rest assured that the majority of offerings by any TM will meet most of those minimum suggestions.

Hopefully, this can get you started on your search for your next mattress. If you have any more specific questions, you know you can use the @ symbol as a prefix to any TM’s name for their advice and support.

All the best in your search,

Maverick

@globe9, as you explore your mattress options, it might be worth considering the DLX Classic in the 12" or the DLX Essential. Both work well for people with similar builds and comfort preferences. However, we don’t have a showroom or any locations in Texas.
Both of these mattresses don’t have too much upholstery foams, which strike a balance between comfort and support while providing a firmer feel and helping to eliminate the sinking feeling. Even on a firm mattress like our Premier Hybrid, you’re going to sink in more. For example, a 2" piece versus a 5" piece of identical foam in every way; the 5" piece would provide more sinking and sleep warmer than the 2" piece, provided the coil unit underneath it is the same and supportive.
Additionally, mattresses with springs and less upholstery foams tend to sleep cooler because there is more airflow. Plus, the firmer the mattress, the cooler it will sleep because there are fewer points of contact with the mattress.
The DLX mattress, like other pocket coils used in hybrid mattresses, uses a narrow diameter coil along the edge for a seating edge.
Keep in mind that what is underneath the mattress will impact the feel of the seating edge, the firmness, and support of the mattress.

2 Likes

@globe9 thank you for the information. That is very helpful! There are a lot good mattress options out there.

In our lineup I would suggest the DUO Latex or the DUO Memory. They both check all the boxes that you mentioned. Both DUO options have the same support. It is a firm, supportive pocketed coil with great edge support. One side of the support uses a 1.5" HR Foam. This allows you to flip just the support to achieve a slightly softer or slightly firmer feel.

Basically, you are choosing between the initial feel being latex or memory foam. Because these are firm mattresses and the firmer options use 2 inches of latex or memory foam - they will both sleep cool.

They each have a little sink, but you are not at all enveloped by the mattress. You feel very supported.

Because the DUOs are made with the Support & Comfort separated you have 2 unique feels to choose from when you receive the mattress, you also get 1 Comfort Exchange during the 100 Night Trial. Then down the road you can replace just the comfort layer at a very cost effective price.

Good luck in your search! Happy to help or give insight in any way I can. So many mattresses out there!

2 Likes