best latex mattress set-up for muscle disorder

hi phoenix,

i think i’ve decided on the latex mattress i want and looking for a foundation

i am very interested in getting away from the whole box spring thing and getting more storage

in an earlier post you cited this as a good option: http://www.usa-beds.com/glideaway_space_saver_frame-25958.aspx

are there any cons to going this route???

thanks!

Hi Missy,

None that I can think of for a lower budget foundation. My only “hesitation” would be that there is not as much of a supportive surface as wooden slats but this is the most closely spaced of this type I know of and many manufacturers I’ve talked with think it works just fine. The only other possible “con” would be for those who for whatever reason want to avoid having metal in their sleeping system because they believe that the electromagnetic fields that they generate is not as healthy as using wood but like many other things this is a personal preference and depends on each person’s answer to the question of “how safe is safe”. I personally would think this was an issue.

Which mattress did you decide on?

Phoenix

i think i’m going with sleep like a bear and putting together 2 twin xl’s that match the nature and nutrition models.

maybe, just may i might order the 6" core someplace else and then the top layers from sleep like a bear. what you you think of that plan?

thanks again phoenix!

Hi Missy,

I would personally work with a mattress manufacturer and target my specific needs and preferences rather than “target” another mattress. It’s less risky and also better value than the path you are taking but if you are comfortable with the direction you are considering and it works out well for you … then the value would be better than the PLB although not in the same range as some of the other choices that are available to you from some of the online manufacturers here.

So overall my thoughts/opinion is “better than some of the choices you could make but not as good as others”.

Phoenix

in your opinion, what would be the better choices?

thanks again!

hi missy,

Some of my thoughts about buying local vs working with an online manufacturer vs completely doing everything yourself are in post #15 here.

If I was going to buy a mattress through an online source … i would work with one of the manufacturers in post #21 here (or another online manufacturer that has the equivalent knowledge, experience, and value).

Phoenix

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!!!

just tell me what you would do if you wanted 2 twin xl’s like the nature and nutritiion!!!

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssse!!!:pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Hi missy,

I would follow the guidelines that I mentioned.

Option #1: If the Nature and Nutrition were my target and for some reason I didn’t believe that another design would provide the same degree of pressure relief, posture and alignment, and meet my personal preferences … I would buy the Nature and Nutrition in spite of the higher price. This would be the “safest” choice but you would pay more for the safety.

The Nature and Nutrition are different heights though so if they were meant to be two halves of a king size bed then I would also put an inch of very firm foam under one of them to make them the same height. If they were meant to be separate then I wouldn’t add the extra foam.

Option 2: If I believed (which I do) that another type of layering could produce the same results in terms of PPP even though it would be different layering (or at least close enough to satisfy my needs and preferences) and I could save about 20% or more by working with a reputable online manufacturer that offered better value and also had a way to correct any “mistakes” I made through some kind of exchange after I had slept on the mattress for a while … then I would go in this direction.

Option 3: If I had the knowledge and skill to know for sure (or at least believed) that buying separate components on my own without the guidance of a manufacturer would produce the results I was looking for AND it would save me a significant amount over option #2 … then I would go in this direction.

The risk you take with option #3 is that if for some reason your layering doesn’t work out to be what you expected because of differences that you didn’t know about or account for or if for some reason what you felt in the store on the Nature or Nutrition didn’t turn out to be what you need and prefer over the long term in “real life” … then you have not only spent more than you would have with option #2 … but you have less options to “fix” any mistakes in layering and it would involve some inconvenience (you have to return an item before getting a new one) and cost (return shipping and 25% restocking fee) and again you won’t have the same type of guidance to help you get closer to your ideal (although SLAB is certainly more helpful than most in this regard and their customer service is great).

So I would choose the option that offered the least risk and the best value according to my personal level of confidence, risk tolerance, and knowledge and my own “value equation”.

I would personally tend to go with option #2 if I was choosing between the Nature and Nutrition and one of the online manufacturers in the list because the lower cost would justify the extra risk (for me).

I would not personally go with option #3 unless the savings over option #2 was significant enough to justify the even greater risk and the lower ability (or higher cost) of “fixing” any mistakes…

Phoenix

hi again phoenix ~ so, just to be clear, you’re saying that slab is option #2???

i just have trouble deciphering :frowning:

Hi missy,

SLAB would be one version (and a better one) of Option 3. They supply components and latex layers but they don’t make mattresses so while they certainly would have good knowledge about the components they sell and they have great service … they don’t have the detailed knowledge or feedback from a customer base about specific mattresses and layering combinations and how certain combinations would work together in a specific mattress and interact with different people. They are very good at what they do which is selling mattress components … not mattresses.

My main “concern” as I mentioned is not so much that you wouldn’t come fairly close to the PLB (the differences in foam would be fairly minor and assuming that the other components are close enough that they are also similar) but that your testing may not reflect your long term needs and preferences and then you would have real difficulty knowing what to do next and what to change.

SLAB is also great because they offer all the different foams (or at least the fast recovery ones) that are made by Latex International in different thicknesses so their selection is probably the best for those who are looking for very specific thicknesses and ILD’s. this is their biggest value. They are also more expensive though than buying the same materials (where possible) from others that have a less limited selection but sell what they have for lower prices.

So you may do fairly well in duplicating the PLB’s (barring any unknowns or surprises) … but that may not turn out to be the best outcome in the long term and then your recourse is more limited and your costs are already higher than some of the Option 2 choices that you have (working with an actual mattress manufacturer).

Phoenix

the thing is, i did talk to a few of them and they really weren’t all that helpful in the task of trying to duplicate the pbl models. it was pretty frustrating actually which is why i was trying to go it on my own.

my thoughts were as follows:

-the metal frame mentioned in an earlier post
-the 6" core w/cover from sleepez
-the remaining layers from slab including 1" of 36ild to put on top of my husbands to even out the mattresses
-2"-3" covers from arizona premium for the top layers

although my husband chose the nature in the store it was only because i made him choose one. he states and i confirm that he can sleep on anything.

i want my layers in separate covers so that i can put my wedges or sleep genie under them to achieve the zero gravity position that i need. this is also why i thought that the 6" core would not make that much difference in my case.

so, that’s the story. now what do you think?

thanks so much…again!

Hi Missy,

That’s because they don’t make PLB mattresses. They make their own mattresses which are different. Their mattresses may provide the same PPP with different layers but they are still different. They will give you guidance about their mattresses and use your experience on the PLB as a guideline … not as something they will duplicate (which isn’t possible anyway so they wouldn’t even try). Their goal is to use the information that you give them to help you decide on which of the mattresses they sell which would have the best odds of meeting your needs and preferences, not to duplicate another mattress which someone else sells (which they don’t offer anyway).

As I mentioned … using the PLB or any other mattress as the only “good” end result is not usually the most effective approach for the reasons I have suggested. If the PLB is the only mattress that you believe will work for you or be close to your “ideal” and you are “locked in” to this layering … then of course you should buy the PLB or go in the direction you are going in spite of the costs and risks.

I think the same as I mentioned in my other posts. You are taking a risky approach without the normal cost and value benefits that are connected to Option 3 vs option 2 that would normally offset the extra risk.

The most important thing though is that my suggestions are only that … suggestions … and if you truly believe that the approach you are taking is the best one for you according to your “value equation” then regardless of what I or anyone else thinks … that’s what you should do :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi missy,

When I was reading through your post again … I think you were suggesting that you would put your mattress genie or wedge under the top layers rather than under the whole mattress itself. I thought I would add that I’m not sure how good an idea this may be because it may stress the topper more than it’s design is meant to accomodate. In thinking about this it’s probably better to “bend” the whole mattress and keep all the layers together than having only the upper layers do all the bending … assuming I understood your idea correctly.

I would probably also put the extra inch for your husband under the mattress instead of over it because it may be too firm for him otherwise (and an inch of very firm polyfoam under the mattress may work just as well or even better if polyfoam itself wasn’t an issue). Of course it’s also possible that he may prefer a thin layer of firmer foam on top (you did say he could sleep on anything :)) in which case your idea may be fine.

Phoenix

aawwwww ~ thanks so much for your thoughtful reply!

when you say “stress”, do you mean wear it out faster?

the reason i had thought to do this was that i am currently doing this on top of my mattress with 2"memory foam and a lanoodle topper. i love the feeling and it helps soooo much with the problems that i have with my muscle disorder.

i would be willing to replace my topper more often to get the relief that i get. providing of course that the topper that i get will be similar to my present set up.

you are so sweet to reread! thanks again!:slight_smile:

Hi missy,

Yes. If the wedge is in between the mattress layers … the thinner layers will have more air “gaps” under them where they are not supported and will be more subject to stretching and shear forces (tearing) which may wear them out faster. In addition to this … the wedge itself will not be resting on a solid surface which may cause more wear on the upper layers as well. If the wedge is under the mattress … then the softer surface layers will have the deeper layers to support them and absorb some of the compression of lying on the mattress.

With a material like latex … even firmer layers are flexible enough to bend around the wedge as long as the mattress itself is not too thick (I probably wouldn’t go much beyond about 12" or so). A thicker mattress will conform less than a thinner mattress just because of the amount of material in it. An “average” latex mattress is usually in the range of about 8-9" which leaves plenty of room for a 6" core and a suitable 2 or 3" comfort layer. For some people … particularly if they are lighter or are OK with a firmer mattress (either no comfort layer or an inch or so) … then a 6" mattress may be fine. For those who are much heavier or if a special design requires it … then up to about 12" or so can also be beneficial. More latex than this isn’t normally necessary even for much heavier people but may still be a preference.

The LaNoodle topper is very nice to have and is a good way to add softness without compromising support. With 2" of memory foam in the mix and any soft layers in the mattress itself … it would be a very soft comfort layer indeed. If you were planning to add these to your new mattress and you were testing mattresses without these two layers for softness … then you may end up with more thickness/softness than you need which could compromise support and spinal alignment.

So overall … the “comfort” of a mattress comes from the upper layers and the “support” comes from the lower layers (and how close to them you are) and having the wedge under the mattress itself … as long as the mattress wasn’t too thick to conform to it … would provide the same comfort with the same materials and the same support as well and still be able to bend itself around the wedge to achieve the zero gravity position.

Phoenix

alrighty then! back to the drawing board for me!

thanks!

hi phoenix,

just wanted to say thanks for all your help.

i ended up building 2 mattresses duplicating the layers found in the nature (husband) and nutrition (me). i got all the layers, the covers and the foundation from sleep like a bear.

although i did not end up saving as much as i had set out to, i did save $400 over the cost of the mattresses in the store.

the monetary savings of course was great but the best part is that i have more storage under the bed with the metal frames and also that i have the ability to switch layers around or get different layers.

after the first night my husband was grateful to me as he said his back was better than when he went to sleep. yay.

mine was great also and i am able to use 2 mattress genies to create a therapeutic zero-gravity position. it looks just like the adjustable beds at literally a fraction of the cost and no worries about the mechanics.

just wanted to give you feedback after all your fantastic help.

couldn’t have done it without you so massive gratitude coming your way!!!:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi missy,

Thanks for the kind words. In effect you built your own mattress and sleeping system part by part and layer by layer which is quite a DIY project. Best of all though it worked out great.

You asked lots of questions and made some good choices and ended up with exactly what you wanted for both of you.

I appreciate the feedback and you sharing the journey with us.

And congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix