Best mattress and foundation for an invalid who is in bed about 16 hours per day

Can you recommend the best latex mattress (twin size) and foundation for an invalid who is in bed about 16 hours per day?

I’m seriously considering a box spring because of the pressure points issue; and he also has a very bad back. Some of the time he needs to sleep on his side (until his shoulder starts hurting) then he switches to his back. He also has sleep apnea and plans to use a bi-pap machine, then sleep primarily on his back.

Do you agree that a box spring, as part of a total sleep system, is the best option?

And have you heard of the Simple Life Fully Assembled Mattress Box Foundation, sold by Amazon? Is it a good option for a box spring for a 100% organic latex mattress?

I look forward eagerly to your reply, as we need to made a decision ASAP.

Many thanks in advance!

Hi mvdsegal,

For someone who is in bed 16 hours a day, I would suggest an adjustable bed with your latex mattress. This will give him the freedom to change his position at will, and allow him to find comfort when needed. As our bodies spend long periods of time in an horizontal position we tend to develop sore points, even in the most comfortable mattress. However if you are able to change the angle of the back and leg rest you will be able to relieve pressure on the body by transferring the weight to other areas. Having spent over 1 month in a hospital bed in my younger days, I really appreciated the fact when the nurse would change my position in bed, by adjusting my back rest.

Hope this will help you make a wise choice

regards

Thanks for your quick reply.

I forgot to mention that he doesn’t spend 16 consecutive hours in bed but gets up for 1 hour, then lies down for 1 1/2 during the day, throughout the day until he goes to bed for the night. Therefore, he’s only in bed for 7-8 consecutive hours.

So my question is what kind of mattress and foundation are recommended for someone whose sleeping patterns are as I described?

Is a 100% latex with a box spring foundation a good match? What kind of box spring foundation is recommended, and by what manufacturer? Should a bed rug be added?

Thanks to whomever can give me input on this.

Hi mvdsegal,

[quote]So my question is what kind of mattress and foundation are recommended for someone whose sleeping patterns are as I described?

Is a 100% latex with a box spring foundation a good match? What kind of box spring foundation is recommended, and by what manufacturer? Should a bed rug be added?

Thanks to whomever can give me input on this. [/quote]

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and know how to avoid the worst ones.

Like MFC Memory Foam Comfort … I would also suggest an adjustable bed for someone that spent a long time on their mattress (consecutive or not) because it can allow them to use the different positions for activities they may want to do in bed (watching TV, reading, working on a computer etc) as well as being able to use different positions for sleeping to change the pressure distribution and alignment of the mattress which may also be very helpful. There is more about adjustable beds in post #3 here and the adjustable bed thread that it links to that can help you choose the features and brand that would be best for them.

If you decide against an adjustable then the most suitable foundation would depend on the type of mattress they choose and the foundation thread here will be helpful. A box spring wouldn’t normally be the best choice for a latex mattress (if you mean a box spring with springs in it) and a non flexing slat foundation that is strong enough for their weight and has gaps between the slats of less than 3" would normally be the best choice. A bed rug probably wouldn’t be necessary unless you were to choose a solid surface foundation or a wire grid type of foundation/bedframe that needed more ventilation or more even support under the mattress.

Latex is a great material for mattresses and can make a very high quality and durable choice but like all materials it may not be everyone’s preference so it would be helpful if they would be able to test different types of mattresses to see if they are comfortable with latex or would prefer another type of material or mattress type more.

If either personal testing or reading (if testing isn’t possible) indicates that latex is his preference (or likely to be) … I would suggest a latex mattress that can either be exchanged for a different firmness level or has exchangeable layers along with a good return policy so that he can make adjustments after a purchase to change the support and/or pressure relief of the mattress based on his actual experience in lieu of testing the mattress in person beforehand. There is a list of the members of this site that sell online in post #21 here and many of them make a wide range of latex mattresses in many budget ranges with different features and options that compete well with the best in the industry. If local testing isn’t possible then these are the ones I would talk with and focus on.

It would depend on the specific mattress but with a latex mattress (with few exceptions) probably not.

Phoenix

When you say 16 hours a day, I immediately think of bed sores and the supernatural power of wool to prevent them. Perhaps because wool is so akin to our own bodies being made of keratin as is our hair, perhaps because it can bend and flex thousands of times more than any other fiber without breaking down, it is the choice of recovering patients from surgery and wheelchair padding and much more. Studies have been done on wool’s ability to prevent pressure sores by 58%.

I realize you didn’t mention the person’s inability to move, but any condition that requires much bed rest will certainly benefit from something that will work with the body. I see where you’re going with natural latex’s ability to relieve pressure points.

What about a wool topper on top of whatever mattress you choose? Or at least quilted wool ticking on top of a natural latex mattress?