Best mattress fit for us?

Hello, we are very encouraged by all the information on this site, but are still confused and seeking advice!

Although we are a newly married couple who are on budget (grad school loans, saving for honeymoon), we are also a bit on the older side (early 40’s) and are becoming more prone to sleep related ailments such as sciatica and insomnia. Our current mattress is a 5 year old Ikea, and we are looking to upgrade to a latex mattress that makes use of Talalay latex at least at the top.
We think we will end up buying online, either with one of the manufacturers on this site, or with Plush Beds (botanical bliss) or perhaps on mattressexpert.Com., which sells Pure Latex Bliss or EverEden.

Here are our concerns:

It is easy to get overwhelmed by the myriad of similar choices, and from what I’m reading it seems that the brand is not of utmost importance. Is the combination of materials the most important consideration? If so, I’m wondering if you could give us some suggestions of where to start considering possible layer combinations, as well as value for our money.
My new husband has all sorts of body aches-lower back pain, hip pain and a bum shoulder. He seems to like a firmer mattress than what we have, so maybe firm or medium firm.
I always like the soft cozy feel of “hotel” bedding, like a Beauty Rest with a pillow top, and wonder what might be a comparable latex combo to that. Firm might be ok for me, as long as it is cushy on top.
So, how many layers of each kind of latex foam might we need? And how many inches high total? We were thinking 9"?

Also, Do you think we should go for a Talalay pillow top in addition? I have always loved the feel of the more traditional pillow-tops, but not sure it is necessary if we have a Talalat top layer anyway.
And finally, do you know of any place we could try out these beds in the Brooklyn/metro NYC area?!

Thanks, any thoughts would be appreciated!

Hi Ecann1,

While I can’t help with “what to choose” because there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved … the mattress shopping tutorial here can certainly help with “how to choose” and has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

The tutorial post includes a link to a list of the members here that sell online (in the optional online step) and they include many that make or sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses with a wide range of different designs, options, features, and price ranges.

You’re right that the name of the manufacture isn’t particularly important because all manufacturers have access to the same or very similar materials. Outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) the quality of the materials followed by the other parts of your personal value equation are the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase. There is more in post #13 here about how to assess the “value” of a mattress compared to your other finalists.

The choice between different types of material is a matter of personal preference and the most effective way to find out the types of materials you tend to prefer (memory foam, latex, innersprings etc) would be based on your own personal testing and experience.

These would all be choices that you would make based on your personal testing and preferences or in the case of an online purchase with a more detailed conversation on the phone (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). Most hotel beds wouldn’t have latex comfort layers so I would use your careful and objective testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post as your reference rather than trying to compare a mattress to your “memory” of how another mattress feels which is very subjective. I would also avoid trying to design your own mattress ahead of time based on specs and let your body tell you which design or combination of materials is best for you. The only specs you will need are the “quality specs” (see this article) that you can compare to the guidelines here to assess whether your mattress has any obvious weak links and so you can make more meaningful comparisons to other mattresses.

Again this would be a preference issue based on your own personal testing. Some people like a separate topper on top of their mattress because it can “feel” softer than having the same layer inside the mattress (see posts #3 and #4 here).

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the New York City area are listed in post #2 here.

If you follow all the steps in the tutorial post one step at a time you will have the best chance of making a great choice that is “perfect” for you :slight_smile:

Phoenix