Best places to test mattress near Tacoma Washington and mattress recommendations for side sleepers

Phoenix,

I am in the process of researching/looking to purchase a new mattress set. I have been reading your website, went to one store that carries Lady Americana, and talked on the phone to Rocky Mountain Mattress. I am trying to figure out what type of mattress to really consider and where locally to better try ones out to narrow it down (would like to consider ordering online but still need to test drive in person).

I live in Puyallup WA (near Tacoma).

This would be a queen bed for a couple that like to sleep on our sides (currently have a Costco Novaform that is failing but initially liked it a lot until it started deteriorating…)

We are:
41 yr old female, 130 lbs (problem with trigger points on my hips when side sleeping – have hip issues)
45 y old male, 180 lbs (whiplash from 2 car accidents causing problems with neck and lower back, side sleeper)

Talked to on the phone Rocky Mountain Mattress and their Brighton model (or possibly Cloudcroft - not sure if the latex hybrid is worth the additional price) might be an option

Specs on Brighton: $1630 for queen
2" of pressure reducing Bayer Ultracel Supersoft Foam
4" of five-pound Bayer Softcel Memory Foam
6" of Bayer Ultracel Polyurethane Support Base Foam
CoolMax by DuPont Damask

Specs on Cloudcroft: $2500 queen
2" of pressure reducing Bayer Ultracel Supersoft Foam
4" of five-pound Bayer Softcel Memory Foam
6" of Bayer Ultracel Polyurethane Support Base Foam
CoolMax by DuPont Damask

Tested a Lady Americana Essence model locally at MFC in Tacoma…but need to spend more time on it but initially it seemed good…though I might need a little more cushion on top for me
Essence specs: $1000 ish
3.5" G-flex 4 Lb density gel infused memory foam
2" eco flex quilt layer
7.25" high density eco flex foam support core
1" stabilizer base

Would any of these be a possibility for our situation? Wondering if stopping by the new Mattress Ranch in Puyallup to try out their memory foam or latex hybrid beds would be worth my time. I basically need to find a physical store where I could test beds that know their specs so I can figure out what might work. I really don’t want to have to buy and try out and return or pay restocking fees.
I need to keep the price reasonable (hence the ones I listed above). Any suggestions?

Thank you

Kim

Hi KBPuyallup,

I’m glad you found us … and welcome to the site :slight_smile:

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your mattress research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how to avoid the worst ones.

The tutorial post also includes some testing guidelines you can use which for a local purchase is the best way to choose a mattress that works best for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone else to be able to tell you which mattress is best for you based on what I call on “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here)

Other than PPP … the most important “quality” specs you need to know to make an informed choice are in this article and you can use the guidelines here to help you identify any weak links in a mattress and make more meaningful quality and value comparisons based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. Of course you’re also welcome to post the specs of any mattress on the forum and I’d be happy to make some comments about them but they would need to include all the “quality specs” I would need to make any meaningful comments about a mattress.

You would need to list the density of all the foam layers in the Lady Americana mattress you listed for me to make any meaningful comments about the quality of the materials but I do know that the foam specs in all the Rocky Mountain mattresses are good quality and all the polyfoam they use is at least 1.8 lb density and that none of their mattresses have any obvious weak links in their design or construction in terms of the quality of the materials.

If you are considering a mattress that is sold online where you can’t test the mattress ahead of time for PPP … then a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer or retailer who has your best interests at heart can help them to help you choose which of their mattresses is likely to be the best “match” for you based on the averages of customers that are similar to you.

The tutorial post also includes links to some of the better online retailers and manufacturers I’m aware of (which includes Rocky Mountain Mattress).

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Seattle/Tacoma area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix