Best Pressure relieving Mattress or Topper 8lb density 6lb? if its avaiable

Hi IM A DISABLED VET who can only sleep on my right side. I have used a 3" 5 lb density on top of a 4lb density and 3 lb base AND Still can only sleep 4-5 hrs in a 10 hr span. I get soreness on my shoulder and hip. I know i need more pressure relief and from what ive experienced and read the higher the densiyt the more pressure reilf and i do know of one bed co. Christeli which uses a 2" 6lb density with 4" 5lb density but its very pricey for me. They do have all great reviews which is uncommon in my research. i thought if i could find a 8lb density *( venus) or 6lb density and put it on my bed i would be better off at a less expensive price. I would appreciate any help and if another material other than memoryfoam would work id like to know. i did talk ith foamfactory.com out of Michigan and they have a 6lb density seat cushion and the cust. serv. rep said she would see it they could make a topper for me.

ADMIN NOTE:Retired Website | Archived Footprint: ebay.com/itm/7-5LB-DENSITY-QUEEN-2-MEMORY-FOAM-MATTRESS-PAD-TOPPER-W-COVER-/321892653410?hash=item4af24c1962

itā€™s sold by foambymail. the ild is really low at 9 ā€“ so i donā€™t know if it will give you the support you needā€¦ according to ebay buyer ratings, the people who have bought seem to think itā€™s great. but let other people chime in on foambymail, etc.

i know someone who has the same issue as you. he is using a soft latex dunlop core with 3 inches of 5lb denisty memory foam he bought off amazon. this finally did the trick for him ā€“ but again one canā€™t speak for anyone else. i donā€™t know if your body types correlate etc. heā€™s very thin and has several severe issues allowing him only to sleep on his right side too. he also several pillows to make himself more comfortable.

i wish you the best!!!

Hi AnointedMatt,

I would be cautious with the assumption that higher density memory foam provides better pressure relief because in many cases it certainly isnā€™t true. Any density of memory foam can be made in softer or firmer versions depending on the chemical formulation of the foam. There is more about the different properties that can be formulated into memory foam in post #9 here and post #8 here and there is also more about the different specifications that can affect pressure relief in post #4 here. The density of memory foam (up to about 6 lbs or so) is much more closely related to the durability of memory foam than it is related to the firmness or pressure relief of memory foam and itā€™s very possible that you would do better with a lower density and softer memory foam topper.

The choice of material for a topper is more of a preference choice than a ā€œbetter/worseā€ choice but the two most popular topper materials that both have great point elasticity and pressure relieving properties are memory foam and latex. There is more about the pros and cons of memory foam vs latex in post #2 here.

While they used to be more readily available ā€¦ I donā€™t know of any legitimate source for memory foam toppers that are currently available that are more than about 6 lb density.

The first ā€œruleā€ of mattress (or topper) shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress or a mattress/topper combination and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or topper or combination of materials and components would be the best ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€ or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or how a mattress or mattress/topper combination will ā€œfeelā€ to you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or ā€œtheory at a distanceā€ that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

While itā€™s not possible to make specific suggestions because of all the many variables involved that are unique to each person and your own experience is the only way to know for certain whether any mattress/topper combination will be a good ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of PPP ā€¦ there is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to that can help you use your sleeping experience along with the other information I linked as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. It also includes a link to a list of some of the better online sources for toppers Iā€™m aware of as well.

Choosing a suitable topper that is a good combination for both you and the mattress you are using it on (different mattresses will affect the choice of topper that works best for a particular person) can be almost as challenging as choosing a mattress that doesnā€™t need a topper in the first place (especially if there are health issues or other more challenging circumstances involved that may not be completely solvable with either a mattress or a topper) so the exchange/return policy for a topper you purchase can become a more important part of the ā€œvalueā€ of a topper purchase just in case a topper you purchase doesnā€™t turn out as well as you hoped for.

If you are planning to order from Foambymail (AKA FBM or Foam Factory and other names as well) then I would read this post and this post and this topic (about their polyfoam and sources) and this post (presumably from a past employee) before buying anything or considering them as a reliable supplier.

ADDED: I donā€™t believe the density for the FBM ebay topper that is mentioned in the reply before mine is legitimate and I would be very cautious about purchasing anything from them based on their descriptions.

Phoenix

didnā€™t realize FBM was so awful.

you can just remove the post if you like.

Hi mattress maven,

It would probably be more helpful to leave it so that it can act as a ā€œcautionā€ for others that are considering the same topper :).

Phoenix

Ty, mattress maven, i saw the 7.5lb on ebay. i have talked with fbm and they have been very nice, but they d have 50-50 reviews good and bad and one stated as Phoenix about not getting what ordered. But at 65 plus ship of 35 for a 7.5 lb density with 9 ild its hard to look away. maybe Phoenix can tell me what the specs are to see if it matches when i call them and ask about specs. on ebay reviews everybody loves the 7.5lb density foam it does say its a overrun production yet theyā€™ve sod them for one year , but when i ask the cust. service they donā€™t mention it although im supposed to talk with Connie or Carlo so i try that tomorrow. i googled the 5lb soft latex dunlap but didnt find anything but i always felt latex was to firm and im not feelin memory with gel because of off gassing and decomposing issues because gel and foam i donā€™t think mix well.

Hi AnointedMatt,

While I donā€™t know what the ā€œrealā€ density is ā€¦ they have a long history of misdescribing their products including listing the density of some of their ebay products as a weight per 2 cubic feet rather than 1 cubic feet (which would mean that the ā€œrealā€ density was 3.75 lbs). You can determine the density of a foam material by calculating the cubic feet in a topper and then dividing the weight of the topper by the cubic feet. It would also be highly unlikely that the ILD of a 7.5 lb density memory foam would be 9 ILD which is typically the ILD for much lower density toppers.

I personally wouldnā€™t do business with them based on principle alone much less the chance that what you are buying is being misdescribed.

Phoenix

What specific are you talking about when yo say they fbm donā€™t follow the law in their business something about fire code. when you you measure for weight per sq.ft. for a queen 60x 80 2inch foam i would figure of the to of my head that were talking about 6.5 sq ft so at 7.5 lbs a sq. it should weigh about 50 lbs.
ty, for your help Phoenix

Hi AnointedMatt,

Iā€™m not sure what you mean or what you are referring to with your comments here. I certainly donā€™t recall mentioning anything about ā€œfollowing the lawā€.

Density is calculated as weight per unit of volume so it would use cubic feet (not square feet).

Phoenix

Your post really hits home with me. Iā€™m not a vet - instead, I have an autoimmune arthritis, which has all but disabled me. Iā€™ve also had four spine surgeries in the last three months. Prior to the surgeries, I was in top shape, even though I used crutches.

Sleep is something that I rarely get enough of, due to the pain of sleeping on just about any mattress. Iā€™d finally had enough recently and began to do my research. I sent an email to Derek of the Sleepopolis about a recommendation for a mattress that would meet my needs. He wrote back, asking a lot of important questions, which I responded to - and he came up with a couple of recommendations tailored to my needs. Luckily, one of the recommendations was for a mattress at Nest Bedding - the Alexander - and Nest has a showroom in the Los Angeles area. I went there and tried out the bed. It was very nice for back sleeping, but I mainly sleep on my right side, since my left ribs and shoulder are too painful to sleep on. When I turned over on my right side, I couldnā€™t believe how comfortable I was. The bed molded to me, but didnā€™t sink in too far (I was on their medium firmness model). In fact, I was so comfortable that I fell asleep!

I ordered the Alexander immediately, along with two of Nestā€™s Easy Breather Natural pillows, since they were on the top of every review site as perfect and adjustable density pillows. You can unzip the pillow and remove as much of their latex ā€˜noodlesā€™ as necessary to tailor the comfort to the user. All of these items are showing up today - Iā€™m incredibly excited. You should go to Sleepopolis.com and send Derek an email, asking about your needs. All he asks is that you use the links that he provides, if you get one of his recommended mattresses. You get a discount, and he gets the credit with the mattress company.

If I were you, Iā€™d seriously consider the Alexander from Nest. But Iā€™ll report back after Iā€™ve used it at home for a while.

Hi Chapps,

While itā€™s great to hear that you made a good quality/value choice (assuming that you arenā€™t in a higher than average weight range) ā€¦ I would be very cautious about providing this type of very questionable advice to others.

While other peopleā€™s comments or reviews about the knowledge, service, and guidance of a particular business can certainly be helpful ā€¦ I would avoid using other peopleā€™s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) or ā€œso calledā€ review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

You can also see some comments about these types of sites (such as Sleepopolis) in general in post #1 here in the simplified choice topic (and the video here it also links to) and they are nothing more than revenue sites that in most cases have little to no experience in the industry, have very little knowledge about mattress materials or mattresses in general, and are only in existence to earn the revenue that has become available as a result of the ā€œnew breedā€ of simplified choice online mattresses that are entering the market.

There isnā€™t much difference between going into a chain store and buying a mattress based on the ā€œrecommendationā€ of a salesperson that is just out of high school, knows very little meaningful information about mattress or mattress materials, and is just repeating the ā€œsales and marketing informationā€ they have learned (most of which is meaningless) for the sake of making their commissions and the many so called ā€œprofessional review sitesā€ that are little more than an online version of the same thing.

As I mentioned ā€¦ Iā€™m certainly glad that you purchased a good quality/value mattress (again assuming that you arenā€™t in a higher weight range) but I would ask you to avoid providing this type of advice to others that is questionable at best and is also against the rules of the forum as well.

Phoenix

I certainly donā€™t understand that kind of hostility to the review sites. Sleepopolis is very well known and respected - and Derek does all of the reviews himself. And, frankly, Nest is on your own list of preferred retailers. Iā€™m also providing my own experience in searching for an appropriate mattress, due to my special needs. I really donā€™t know how else people are supposed to discuss something like this. So remove the comment about Sleepopolis and Derek if you like, but Iā€™m saying that the Alexander bed - their top luxury style - was an amazing feeling for me. My body is badly wounded from multiple spine surgeries, and my joints are in terrible pain - when I see someone else in pain, Iā€™d like to share my recent experience. But letā€™s just leave it at your own preferred list of retailers - Iā€™m glad to see Nest there, as Iā€™ve had a really good experience with them.

Hi Chapps,

Itā€™s not as much about ā€œhostilityā€ as much as warning others against following unreliable advice (yours and theirs) just like I would warn any of the members here about making other types of poor choices or following other types of unreliable advice as well. If you read the links I posted it will help you understand the reasons for the comments I made :).

They are anything but ā€œwell known and respectedā€ in the more knowledgeable parts of the industry.

I will leave it up as a caution for others.

As I mentioned I think you made a good quality choice and I think highly of Joe and Nest Bedding who as you mentioned is also one of the members here (and it took several years for them to qualify for membership here because this site has very different and more ā€œobjectiveā€ criteria for membership that excludes most of the business that request it) but your suggestions about ā€œhowā€ to choose a suitable mattress are certainly questionable.

Phoenix

This what you said on Nov11,2011 post#2 I believe they are operating illegally by skirting the fire regulations and I seriously doubt that they have prototyped the mattresses they are selling. While they (and others) try to skirt the regulations by claiming they are only selling parts of a mattress ā€¦ the way they are doing this (by ā€œde factoā€ selling mattresses) is also against the law.

yes i meant to say cubic feet but is that about right on weight 50lbs for a queen 7.5 lb dens or what is the formula to calculate.

Hi AnointedMatt,

Thanks for the clarification.

Just to put your quote in a larger context ā€¦the whole quote is this ā€¦

The comment was about their mattresses (as opposed to the toppers or components they sell) and if the mattresses they sell havenā€™t passed the 16 CFR 1632 and 1633 fire regulations then it would be illegal to sell them or promote them ā€œas a mattressā€ (as opposed to individual components). Every mattress should have a law tag that will tell you whether the mattress has passed the fire regulations and if you buy a mattress without a law tag it would be illegal.

Phoenix

yes that does give me a concern if they donā€™t follow the law, on the fire code. ty, for clarifying. Im assuming toppers arent as regulated and dont need a tag.

is there a formula to know how much a topper should weigh?

ty, Chapps for your input and experience with Nest and Alexander. I too can only sleep on right side i weigh 225lb 6ft tall. ( need to lose 25lbs) my issues is tendititus on l/shld. I did feel Phoienix was harsh with you , although his reason was that sleepopolis.com is in sorts a saleperson for certain bed cos. and buyer beware. i did look at the nest alexander med firmness and i will look to find local store. I researched a bit for reviews and they look to be mostly good but not all( as far as feel) my thinking is that they use 1.5ā€³ super soft foam in the cover( why they donā€™t clarify i have no idea) , 2ā€³ visco foam (4 pound), 2ā€³ gel foam (4 pound), 8ā€³ support foam.
Im looking at the Christeli which tells you exactly whatā€™s in everything and they use 6lb density 2" foam with cashmier tuffting cover and 5lb 4" density w/ memory foam core or latex if you need more support. a bit more than your bed price wise King size for Charleston is 1599 w/mem. core or Lux is 2395 which has latex core for bigger people according rep. They did have some clearance or floor models on sale last week and they were 20% off abouts. Mike the rep said he would look and see if i can somethin next week after stating my budget. It feels like you holds his ground on getting top dollar but after 2 weeks and 3 times talking to him I think he feels im not going to buy unless i get the lower price. I have only seen great reviews except for a few delivery issues with BBB.

i hope the alexander works for you im not a fan of the gel infused and i know the i comfort felt great in store but had bad reviews after months of use as did tempurpedic and the sleep number. for such a large purchase its wise to be patient and research. ty again and i wish you well.

Matt, youā€™re close to my height and weight. Iā€™m 6ā€™2", 215 lbs (lost a ton of muscle and gained fat during all my surgeries this year), so I had to find a mattress that would easily support me. Something like the Leesa mattress would have been awful for me - that and others like it seem to be better for smaller folks.

The info on the Alexander mattress is there on the product detail page, but itā€™s just diffused out in a couple of paragraphs. It would be better if they showed a cutaway image with info on each layer. I think they have only three showrooms (?) - L.A., San Francisco and NYC? Itā€™s really difficult to choose correct mattresses if you have medical issues. Some feel great in the showroom, and then wind up being disastrous at home, even after a 60 day break-in period. A friend of mine has the Alexander, and is pretty darned happy with it after a few months (canā€™t recall how many, exactly). I think all of this is highly subjective. I have other friends who are extremely happy with their $500 mattress after three years. Others need extremely specialized beds for comfort. Regardless, thereā€™s a 101 night return window for the Alexander - if I have any doubts in that time period, I can return it.

Hi AnointedMatt,

Yes ā€¦ they donā€™t need to pass the fire regulations or include a tag that says they have.

If you calculate the volume of the topper (in cubic feet) and then multiply it by the density that itā€™s supposed to be then you would end up with the weight that the topper ā€œshould beā€ (excluding the weight of any cover).

For example a 2" queen size topper that is 60" x 80" would be 60 x 80 x 2 = 9600 cubic inches which divided by 1728 (the number of cubic inches in a cubit foot) = 5.56 cubic feet. If you multiply the cubic feet by the density of 7.5 lbs/ft3 then that would equal 41.7 lbs which ā€œshould beā€ the weight of the topper excluding any packaging or the weight of the cover.

I would keep in mind that the better manufacturers and retailers donā€™t generally ā€œnegotiateā€ (see post #6 here) or have ā€œfake salesā€ based on the time of year or holidays (see the guidelines here and post #5 here) and I would treat retailers or manufacturers that negotiate their prices or have ā€œmajor holiday salesā€ as a red flag because manufacturers or retailers that sell good quality/value mattresses donā€™t need to negotiate or have ā€œfake salesā€ to create a false sense of urgency and sell good quality/value mattresses every day of the year at prices that are already very reasonable.

Phoenix

I bought the 7.5 lb density 9 ILD topper 2" from fbm 100 bucks. im concerned about the low ild after reading a blog, but whats done is done.

what is the best pressure relieving density and ILD ONE SHOULD LOOK FOR.
i notice that a lot of beds have high density top layers and than taper down as they get to the base. Is THIS IDEAL AND IF I WAS TO MAKE MY OWN BED WOULD i do this and just put them together?
i currently have a 9" mem. base probably 3lb very soft yet not very pressure relieving i than have 4" 4lb soft and bet better pressure relieving so what would i want to put on it ( im goin to try the 7.5lb i bought w/9 ild) i was thinking to buy a 5lb 4" to put underneath so any help would be appreciated ty , Matt