Better to err with 'too soft' or 'too hard'?

Hi
In the market for a queen pocket coil mattress. Have been sleeping on a Kingsdown ‘Landmark’(which I think is the same as the ‘Still Wharton’, but after 2 weeks have developed some lower back pain.
So, still convinced to go with pocket coil, but firmer still.

Narrowed my choice down to either
1-Simmons Beautyrest Esteem
or
2- Simmons Beautyrest Granite(hardest pocket coil available)

If I’m not sure between the two, is it better to err with a mattress that feels a bit too soft, or too hard?

Hi eco_bach,

It’s always better to err on the side of too firm. This can be fixed with a mattress pad or topper after the foam goes through the initial softening if it’s still too firm. With a mattress that is too soft … it’s very difficult if not impossible to add something to make it firmer because the soft foam underneath will still be too soft and adding additional layers can make the support qualities of the mattress even worse (you will sink down to far and be out of alignment).

Having said all that … I would suggest reading this before you choose a Simmons or any major brand. It’s a lot of money to pay for materials that have lower quality and durability than many other options you may have available to you and regardless of the quality of the coils … the foam on top of them is the weak link of the mattress.

I can’t find a link to the two models you are mentioning (they both appear to be quite old models) otherwise I would give you a breakdown of exactly why both these mattresses should probably be avoided unless you were getting an very low price to compensate for the lower quality 1.2 and/or 1.5 lb polyfoam they contain.

Phoenix