Big guy seeks best bed at a reasonable price

At the beginning of the year I began searching for a mattress. I searched chains, regional bed stores, and Costco, as well as other stores ( including Amazon) online. The result was overwhelm and over saturation with all the choices, knowing full well that most of them would be bad ones for me.Then I got busy . Now, I’m returning to the search. Today, I saw the sale offer from Sleep EZ (http://sleepez.com/specials.htm) offered for a huge 40% off normal reasonable prices, and another interesting Amazon deal on the Ultimate Dreams (Amazon.com) . To me, I am thinking, regardless of the claims, that I need to focus on what is going to help me remain COOL ( I sleep very warm or hot, even in our mild CA winters). I am also built like a lineman ( 6’2", 300 lbs, with extra weight around my stomach, but generally ht/wt proportional- i.e. I’m built thick and solid from my head through my 22 inch neck all the way down to my size 16 feet). So, I was at Costco last night where I saw Road Show featuring a Spring Air “Back Supporter w/ Gel”, which the reps are trying to pass off as latex, but it isn’t…as it has a measly 1" of BIO H GEL INFUSED latex under 1.5 inches of (plush certipur foam ( which Phoenix has said elsewhere is not so good where MORE than 1" covers the latex). So that got me curious about whether or not Latex NEEDS infusion of GEL to be cool enough for a hot sleeper like myself, OR if the natural latex is fine by itself. IF I keep the climate of my bedroom at 65 degrees or less ( my body temp is ok then). Anyway, I am both a side and stomach sleeper, but 85% of that is on my side. Some years ago, I injured my right sacrum ( between the back and pelvis), so despite my weight, I cannot tolerate a pressure point near the hip and have spent more than a few nights in my lazy boy recliner because of it keeping me from being able to lay down. So, I may also consider an adjustable base with a good bed.

I realize I present a lot of information here. I am interested IF there is a best “configuration” of Latex ( or American made memory foam or a hybrid of both) for my size AND that will both protect me from pressure points at the hip and shoulders while side-sleeping, AND still provide a plush/ Euro feeling of comfort ( I realize my size will pulverize any pillow-top), but have firm enough support for my size. Generally I have enjoyed a medium-firm bed, but the old-school steel spring mattress I have now is failing and I need to get shopping. I had hoped to spend closer to $1,000, but will consider spending $2,000 or more if I can get some assurance of longevity while getting the issues addressed as best as possible. I really wanted to shop at Costco due to their return policy, but What they are offering online looks suspiciously HOT or low quality to me.

Of course, I am prepared to hear that there is NOTHING that can withstand my weight. But it never hurts to ask questions. :slight_smile:

Thank you

Hi sleptaway,

The first place I would start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices.

Post #3 here and the posts it links to also has more information that would be helpful for those that are in higher weight ranges that will likely need more durable and firmer materials.

Both SleepEZ and Dreamfoam are members of this site which means I think very highly of both of them and they compete well with the best in the industry. They would both be well worth talking with on the phone and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy any mattress from either of them that I believed was a good match for me in terms of PPP, durability, and the other parts of my personal value equation that were important to me.

Post #3 here and the adjustable bed thread it links to has more information about buying an adjustable bed that may be useful and includes some good sources that you can also use as a pricing reference as well.

The short answer is no. There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved to use any formula or “theory at a distance” to predict which mattress someone may do best with out of all the thousands of choices that are available. Your own careful and objective testing or experience is the best way to know whether a mattress is a suitable match for you and if that’s not possible then a more detailed conversation with an online retailer or manufacturer is the most reliable source of guidance about which of the options they have available may be best for you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Phoenix

I have read the tutorial. I had tried some memory foam beds (which seemed “sturdier” or “firmer” than Latex) under my weight, and I do realize I would need the higher density foam if I go that route. Can you recommend any local mattress stores (manufacturers) to the North Bay region of Northern California (Sonoma County or Marin County), or San Francisco (proper) for further testing (whether I buy from them or not, I will need to understand the best quality materials if I order online)?

Hi sleptaway,

Post #2 here should help. You have some very good options in the area.

Phoenix

Hot sleeper here. Consider wool in the top layer, it is working for me.