Bob's Furniture- Retreat Mattress

Hi All,

I’ve been reading through the vast knowledge on the site for the past few weeks, and finally have built up the courage to post in this fantastic forum.

My wife and I have just relocated to St. Louis, MO. We upgraded from a 1 bedroom to a 2, and are now looking to add a king size mattress for our master bedroom. In the research I’ve done on the topic, I have decided that a hybrid latex/foam mattress is our best bet in terms of comfort/price/reliability. Reading some of the posts about the St. Louis specific vendors, I don’t recall many of them focusing on Latex, unless I’m mistaken. I value latex due to its durability and longevity, but cannot afford a 100% latex mattress.

Specifically I am a stomach sleeper, and my wife is a side sleeper…both with BMI"s between 27-30. We’ve slept in memory foam mattress’ before. While we thought that they were very comfortable, they didn’t provide enough ‘bounce’ during activities, so I’d prefer something with a bit more spring to it.

Originally being from the East coast, I am familiar with the Bob’s Furniture mattress’, and own a few of the Bob-o-pedic’s at my parent’s house. As I’ve never had an issue with them, I’m intrigued by a new hybrid eurotop mattress I see offered from them.

Quilt Layer:
-Luxurious stretch knit cover
-Natural cashmere anti-microbial safeguard fiber
-1" Supersoft comfort layer
-1/2" Plush Comfort layer

Comfort layer:
-1" Plush Talalay Latex
-1" Firm Talalay Latex
-1" Plush Talalay Latex

Support Layer:
1" Support Form
8" Soy based support core

When asked in the store about the density of the foam, I was told that “all foam is 2.0 density”. From what I’ve read here, that would be great from a density perspective, but I’m not 100% confident that the salesperson was being honest in his assessment of each of the individual components of the mattress.

I am also skeptical of the quality of the eurotop layer, and don’t want to purchase something that will drastically degrade in quality in the next 5-10 years.

Based on the guidelines I’ve read, I think optimally we will need something with 3"-4" of soft comfort layer (for my wife), a soft top 1" (for me), and then a firm support layer for both of us…things that this mattress has on its surface; 4.5" of total comfort split between foam and latex (does it matter that the Talalay is in individual 1" components?)

My wife prefers to actually got a store and try out the mattress before we buy. When we slept on this one, we felt comfortable and noted that the mattress provided plenty of bounce for us. I know the online vendors have generous return policies and would be willing to try something like that out, but know that it would be a challenge to get my wife to agree to trying something like that.

Have any members of the forum purchased this mattress before? Would anyone have any advice about my situation and provide and suggestions in the area? Overall, am I thinking about this process correctly, or is there something else I should be thinking about as well?

Thanks!

Hi behavinat0r,

Thanks for taking the time to post here, and welcome to the Mattress Forum!

[quote]
Quilt Layer:
-Luxurious stretch knit cover
-Natural cashmere anti-microbial safeguard fiber
-1" Supersoft comfort layer
-1/2" Plush Comfort layer
Comfort layer:
-1" Plush Talalay Latex
-1" Firm Talalay Latex
-1" Plush Talalay Latex
Support Layer:
1" Support Form
8" Soy based support core
When asked in the store about the density of the foam, I was told that “all foam is 2.0 density”. From what I’ve read here, that would be great from a density perspective, but I’m not 100% confident that the salesperson was being honest in his assessment of each of the individual components of the mattress.
[/quote]I too would have my suspicions about such a blanket statement from a salesperson (especially based upon my history trying to find out specifications from this company), plus you have no information about the latex blend used within the product, which you’d want to help you make a good value comparison.

A good post where you can read a little more about Bobs Discount Furniture (mybobs.com) in post #4 here . Overall I would tend to be cautious here since they aren’t very knowledgeable or informative about their mattresses. A forum search on mybob (you can just click the link) will also bring up a few more comments about them.

I would be cautious about making any purchase until I knew the information listed here about every single foam layer, and then could compare it to the durability guidelines listed here.

No, that doesn’t necessarily make a difference.

You may have already seen this list, but just in case you haven’t, subject to confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list you wish to deal with is completely transparent about the materials and components in their mattresses (see this article ) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the St Louis area are listed in post #6 here .

Regarding using other people’s opinions, while their comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful, I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words, reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

As far as following a process, the first place I suggest starting is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

If you come up with more detailed information about this mattress or any others, I’ll be happy to do my best to provide meaningful comments upon those products.

Phoenix