Bought a new latex mattress from Sleepez and my wife hates it...help! :)

Hi ThaiGQ,

[quote] We do not really have many local options (49837 zip)

She had a shopping trip on Friday and stopped at WG&R in Green Bay, WI[/quote]

There isn’t a forum list for the Gladstone area but I did take a look around the area and the only retailer I saw that I would consider as a “possibility” and the manufacturer they carry that I would focus on (subject to the “value” guidelines here) is …

http://www.heynssensselins.com/products.html Escanaba, MI. They carry Restonic mattresses made by Clare Bedding in Escanaba which are generally more transparent about the materials they use in their mattresses than most larger manufacturers.

Some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Green Bay area (subject to the same guidelines) are listed in post #2 here.

The materials in a mattress are always a preference choice rather than a better/worse choice and like any material some people will prefer the “feel” of latex over any other and some people won’t. The most important part of a mattress choice is that it provides good posture and alignment, good pressure relief, and that it matches your personal preferences in terms of “feel” (which is more subjective) but no matter how well a mattress may otherwise suit you, if you don’t like how a material feels then you may be better off choosing a different type of mattress that uses different materials.

I would also keep in mind that with any new mattress purchase there will be an adjustment period and it can take some time to get used to a different type of sleeping surface and this may also change your experience over the course of the next few weeks (see post #3 here) so it may be worthwhile waiting for a few weeks before deciding what to do but other than this or adding a topper that can change the “feel” of the mattress (and keeping the benefits of latex underneath it) if you really don’t like how latex feels even with a topper then at least you had the foresight to buy a mattress from a company that has a good return policy.

I would be very cautious with an Aireloom purchase and at the very least make sure that you are able to find out all the specifics of the type and quality of all the materials in the mattress (see this article) because this mattress uses lower quality and less durable materials than your SleepEZ mattress. You can see some of the specific layers here but they only add up to 11.5" and the other 3" would likely be lower quality materials (probably polyfoam) that could be a weak link in the mattress in terms of durability. It may also be very difficult to find out the information you need about the materials in the Aireloom you would need to make an informed choice (see here) and even if you did for most people it wouldn’t be in the “best value” range compared to other mattresses that use similar or better quality materials.

The Aireloom is a pocket coil mattress that has a combination of different foam layers above the pocket coil … (latex, memory foam, and probably polyfoam) so it would be quite different from a polyfoam/latex hybrid. It would be “somewhat similar” to some of the innerspring/latex hybrids listed in post #2 here but most of them don’t include memory foam or polyfoam in the comfort layers.

There are some suggestions about adding forum attachments in the help section here but if all else fails then you can send them to me and I will attach them to your post.

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one in post #9 here but even if you are able to find out the specifics of all the materials it’s unlikely that you will find another mattress that has exactly the same design and materials as the Aireloom you are considering so the only way to know if another mattress would feel similar to the Aireloom to you would be based on your own personal testing and experience.

I would also make sure that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices.

Two of the more important links in the tutorial are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to buy a suitable mattress that can help you assess and minimize the risk involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

Phoenix