Brentwood Home Palmetto Specs

Hi Phoenix,

I’m looking at the Brentwood Home Palmetto mattress, sold on Costco.com. I actually took a tour of their design studio/showroom and got to test out their mattresses and the Palmetto was my favorite.

Now I’m poring through the specs and referencing your durability guide. One thing has me concerned - third layer under the latex is an “Airlux” foam layer, with just 1.5LB Density. I confirmed with them that it’s polyurethane. Your guide said 1.8 is the minimum for normal BMI (which we are). What is your advice? Here are the specs:

2-Inch Soft Natural Latex (4.7 LB Density)
2-Inch Medium Natural Latex (5.3 LB Density)
2-Inch HCFM Airlux Airflow Layer (1.5 LB Density and 30 ILD)
6-Inch Therapeutic Support Base (1.8 LB Density and 30 ILD)

Link: costco.com/Brentwood-Home-Palmetto-Euro-Pillow-Top-King-Mattress.product.100314517.html

ADMIN NOTE: Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: costco.com/Brentwood-Home-Palmetto-Euro-Pillow-Top-King-Mattress.product.100314517.html

Hi otm_shank,

Yes, I would have a concern with a foam of this 1.5 lb. density with more than “an inch or so” in a mattress, and ideally would like this to be 1.8 ln or above, as you mentioned. It is located deeper in the mattress and you may not notice it as much initially, but it could impact the amount of a “virtual” or “phantom” body impression in the mattress as time goes on. The latex used in the mattress is a good quality material, and as you mentioned the polyfoam core at 1.8 lb meets the minimum durability guidelines, with a caution for those above 200 lb. or so. One other concern I would have would be the amount of compression in the quilt of the silk blend fiber layer. There are no specifications about this on the site and layers like this can be problematic depending upon synthetic content and the amount of loft (of lack of pre-compressing/quilting) and there can be a potential for excessive impressioning over time.

Hopefully that information is helpful for you.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix. The fact that they’re not members probably should’ve been a red flag. I did give them a call to confirm specs and they said that the Airlux layer was updated and now 1.8lb, but they can’t confirm specs on the units that Costco will ship.

And you brought up a good point about lack of details on the silk blend layer. I think I"ll pass on this. Thanks again.

Hi otm_shank,

There are many fine establishments out there who are not members of the site, so please don’t let the fact that a business is not a member of the site be the primary determining factor in your decision. I would focus first on the quality of componentry, which it seems you’ve been very good at doing.

Good luck as your search goes on. Please let me know if I may be assistive with other questions.

Phoenix

I’m going to give the Brooklyn BME a shot. I’ve chatted/spoken to Mario & crew several times over the past few months. I’ve been hesitant to buy a product I can’t feel or sample and read a few accounts about a quirky returns process, but your advocacy for them has reassured me, Phoenix. Thanks again.

Hi otm_shank,

Congratulations on ordering your new mattress! :slight_smile: As you’re already aware, Brooklyn Bedding is a member here which means that I think very highly of them and Marion, and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

I’ll look forward to your comments upon the product once you’ve had a chance to sleep on it for a while. Which firmness version did you order?

Phoenix

I got the medium version in king. My wife and I are both have normal BMIs and similar sleeping positions. We start off sleeping on our backs but eventually roll onto our side. We prefer firmer mattresses and in the past have shunned medium and plush versions in mattress stores, but Mario convinced me that their firm would be too firm for us, and that medium would be just right. I hope he’s right. We shall see.

Hi otm_shank,

Thanks for the update. I certainly would trust the advice Mario provided you, as he is quite knowledgeable about his product and can draw upon his results and experience of fitting the BME to thousands of people.

Phoenix