Brentwood Memory Foam

But why create a totally different identity to compete with DreamFoam, Lucid, etc., as they were already selling memory foam mattresses under the SilverRest name (and still are). I guess perhaps they could have just wanted a ‘memory foam only’ brand…

And yeah… didn’t know, or they were just spouting random numbers off the top of their head.

So if density doesn’t really relate to softness or firmness, than what does? I know IFD basically measures softness (deflection = resistance), but what determines how much resistance there is (as there’s plenty with mine - LOL)? I was under the assumption that since air compresses more than a tangible substance (especially when allowed to flow out of it), how many air pockets there are in the foam and their size (which sounds like your description of density) would have a lot to do with softness and overall compression? I mean, if there were no air pockets whatsoever, would it not be semi-rigid?

[quote=“Phoenix” post=40800]Hi dzignr_tastz,

With latex density is directly related to firmness (but only if you are comparing the same type and blend of latex).

With polyfoam and memory foam density is the most important factor in the durability of the material (see post #4 here and the posts it links to about the variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to a specific person) but any density of memory foam or polyfoam can be made in a wide range of firmness levels. Density does have more of a connection to the compression modulus of the foam which is also part of perceived firmness (see post #4 here) but it’s not directly related to comfort or firmness. There is also more about some (but not all) of the different foam specifications that can affect the feel or suitability of a mattress design in post #2 here. Resilience is a measure of the percentage rebound when you drop a steel ball on a layer of foam. Memory foam for example has almost no resilience regardless of its density because it’s a slow response material that “absorbs” energy (and turns it into heat) while latex stores energy (like an innerspring) and then bounces back and has a higher resilience than most other types of foam which is why it’s more “springy” or “bouncy”.

Phoenix[/quote]

Thanks for the explanation. And while I know when we speak of “comfort”, like “beauty”, it is in the eye of the beholder, I guess I’m more focused on the term “sinking in feeling” (as I was informed), which I assume would definitely be, at least partially, related to density, as that would have more to do with the “compression modulus”. And on that same note, I believe I meant to use “resistance” (thus opposing that “sinking in feeling”) as opposed to “resilience”.