Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

Hi ronfla,

Welcome … and I’m glad the forum could help you.

As you probably know from your reading here (including the comments about the “simplified choice” mattresses in post #2 of this topic) you are certainly looking at a great quality/value choice.

You are right that it’s very unlikely that you will find another mattress that uses exactly the same design with the same type of materials in the same combination, the same layer thicknesses and firmness levels, and with a “functionally similar” cover that will be the same so your own experience will really be the only way to know for certain whether any mattress choice is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP. Of course this is also the reason that a good return policy is more important with an online purchase so you can test the mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom with little risk.

You’ve probably seen this already but there is some good information about their firmness choices on their page here that can help you decide between their different firmness options. If you are still undecided then it’s good to see that you plan to talk with them (either on the phone or through their chat) because when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (such as Brooklyn Bedding) who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattress and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept well on and liked that they are familiar with, any special considerations you may have, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs or firmness options to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding once you pull the trigger.

Phoenix

I know that Brooklyn Bedding owns Dream Foam(or vice versa) and we’re looking at both. Before we buy anything i want to gather as much info as possible to make the best choice.

Hi ronfla,

They are “sister companies” with common ownership.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way.

We ordered the king size medium firm mattress from Brooklyn Bedding last night. I felt that the price for the mattress versus the quality and components of the mattress were in line. The person I chatted with also threw in 2 king size pillows which was nice. The 120 day trial period also was a factor for deciding on this mattress.

Now for the fun part. We talked about a platform for the mattress last night and he gave me a link to a Dream Foams platform sold on Amazon but of course I didn’t save the link. I want to ask them if that platform will allow the mattress to ‘breathe’ which was mentioned here to prevent moisture build up. That would be something to consider since we live in Fla. I’ve done some research on here for a platform bed but I haven’t found anything yet. I need to know a bit more about this. my wife wants something with a headboard. we have a frame now but it has no slats so that’s going with the rest of the current set up. if you folks can offer a few tried suggestions let me know.

Hi ronfla,

Congratulations on your new mattress :).

You certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

I’m guessing that the platform/bedframe that they mentioned to you may have been this one and if it was then it would allow good airflow under your mattress.

There is also more information about the different types of support systems that generally work best for different types of mattresses in post #1 here that also includes examples of each of them as well that may also be helpful.

Phoenix

ADMIN NOTE: this was originally reply #158 in this topic but I amalgamated it with this topic which is more suitable because it has the same subject matter.

BB gave me another link. i’ll get it from them tomorrow. I was on the page you referenced (post #1 here) and found this link Hayneedle - Walmart.com which looks interesting. some of those links on that page for foundations aren’t valid anymore

Hi ronfla,

Thanks for the heads up … I appreciate it.

URL’s or websites that change or disappear and broken links are always a challenge to keep up with on a forum but I’ve gone through the reference post and fixed all the links that were broken.

Phoenix

i’m a programmer so I know how it is to stay on top of ever changing links that are out of your control. The platform beds in the link I left seem ok but I have no idea what the spacing is between slats. i’ll find out tomorrow

So far for a frame and platform i’m looking at
Platform - Amazon.com?
or
King Wood Foundation, Wood Foundations
I’m not sure if I should get wood or metal in the platform.

Frame - Latex Mattresses On Sale - Latex Mattress Toppers - Phoenix, AZ

Let me know your thoughts on these. I have no idea what I need so I’m doing the best I can

Out of the three choices you presented I personally would lean toward the wood foundation.

Hi ronfla,

The first two are foundations that would require a steel or wooden bedframe as well while the third one is a combination foundation and bedframe.

The wooden slat foundation would provide the most even support and there would be less risk of the mattress sagging into any gaps in the support surface because it has the largest load bearing surface area. The Simple Life foundation with a steel bedframe would probably be stronger and more supportive than the last one you linked (you can see some comments about these type of platform foundation/bedframes in post #10 here).

The “bottom line” though is that while any of them would be a suitable choice for your mattress … the risk in the longer term would be inversely proportional to the cost in the three options you linked.

Phoenix

PS: I can see that Jeff’s post was written while I was writing this one and that his thoughts are similar to mine :).

Ah now you see my confusion. i thought the third link was a frame only. From looking at the wood foundations i have to agree with you guys. If i go with a wood foundation what frame would i use? The second link is the wooden foundation. do i use a normal frame to put it on? i would think i would need a frame with support in the middle such as a bar and legs.
I’m still confused the more i look into this which is why i haven’t had the mattress shipped. If i get a bed with slats do i need a foundation?

BTW my wife went to an Ashley store and they showed her ‘Platform beds’ with slats. The guy at the store told her the platform goes on top of the slats then the mattress. Is this what i’m looking for?

Hi ronfla,

There is more about choosing a bedframe in post #10 here. The Simple Life foundation or the wood slat foundation would both need a suitable steel or wooden bedframe to raise it up off the floor. If you are buying a wooden bedframe instead of a steel bedframe then I would make sure that it has at least 5 hardwood cross slats with a center support beam with good center support to the floor so it would be suitable for supporting a foundation.

If you are buying a platform bed that has a support surface (similar to a foundation) with enough slats to support the mattress and the distance between the slats are less than about 5" apart (4" or less would be better) so that the mattress doesn’t sag into any gaps in between the slats and it also has a center support beam with good support to the floor then it would be suitable for your mattress and wouldn’t need a separate foundation.

Basically any combination of components that provides a suitable support surface under your mattress that has minimal to no flex, has good center support to the floor to prevent sagging in the middle, has a support surface area that provides enough support under the mattress to minimize the risk of the mattress sagging into any gaps in the support surface over time, that allows some airflow under the mattress, and that raises the sleeping surface of your mattress to a height that would be suitable for you for getting in and out of bed and/or sitting on the edge of your mattress will be fine.

The most common choices would be a steel or wooden bedframe (with or without a headboard that can be attached to the bedframe which is only for “looks”) in combination with a foundation or a platform bed which combines the function of the bedframe and the foundation.

Phoenix

Here’s a similar bed that my wife is looking at up at the Ashley store
this looks like it has a foundation and mattress and the guy at Ashley told my wife that they put foundations on the beds.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: flatfair.com/carta-contemporary-dark-bronze-metal-king-bed.html?gclid=CIHq0_Prn8cCFUeRHwodPPAIgA

Let me say that this has been one of the best sites i’ve found because you’ve help clear up a ton of confusion. Coming from a box spring and mattress that now looks like a lower case ‘W’ to this is mind boggling because i’m learning a new language or almost. One other thing that confused me is the term Platform Bed. here’s i’m thinking it’s a flat board that the mattress goes on but that’s not the case at all. Very confusing. the wooden platforms BTW look like sod pallets!

Hi ronfla,

[quote]Here’s a similar bed that my wife is looking at up at the Ashley store flatfair.com/carta-contemporary-dark...Prn8cCFUeRHwodPPAIgA
this looks like it has a foundation and mattress and the guy at Ashley told my wife that they put foundations on the beds.[/quote]
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: flatfair.com/carta-contemporary-dark-bronze-metal-king-bed.html?gclid=CIHq0_Prn8cCFUeRHwodPPAIgA

I can’t see the support surface in the picture but I “think” I can see a leg in the middle near the foot so it probably has a center beam with at least two support legs underneath it which would be fine. The description says “slat kit included” so if there are enough slats to prevent the mattress from sagging into the gaps between them then you could use the mattress directly on the slats or if you have a thinner mattress and need some additional height for your sleeping surface then you could also use a foundation on top of the slats as well. Foundations come in different heights that range from low profile which are in the range of 5" or so to a regular foundation which are in the range of about 9" or so and there are even bunkie boards which are about 2" thick but they all perform the same function.

If there are only 5 wooden cross slats then the gaps between them would be too wide to put the mattress directly on the slats and you would “need” a foundation to provide suitable support under your mattress (regular or low profile or a bunkie board) rather than the foundation being optional or you could also add more slats if you didn’t want the additional height.

I’m glad the site was helpful :slight_smile:

Phoenix

The link I showed you is for reference only since it’s similar to what my wife looked at. we’ll most likely go to the store this weekend and i’ll look at what they have. now that i’m armed with facts they could be in for a well armed consumer.

Update - I spoke with someone at HeyNeedle and he said that most of those Platform Beds are slatted with about a 2 inch spacing. Most of the Kings have the center support also. This would help since i don’t see a need for a foundation unless we want to give the setup some lift. My only concern then would be that they would have a better slatted foundation and we’d put a lesser one on top. I doubt that would happen but there’s always a chance.

Your thoughts on this bed? I know it’ll need a foundation. my concern is that it has no center support but there are 3 beams going from side to side:
ashleyfurniturehomestore.com/p/nashburg-king-metal-headboardfootboard-with-rails/b280-382/
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: ashleyfurniturehomestore.com/p/nashburg-king-metal-headboardfootboard-with-rails/b280-382/

I just ordered a mattress from Brooklyn Bedding. I research everything and have found latex is really the best material for bedding. I found a local shop that wanted $2,600 for a similar construction latex mattress. After speaking with Brooklyn Bedding customer support professionals, I found that they are very much the same. They have been great to deal with and I look forward to receiving our latex mattress.

Hi jervis64,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

Like the other members here that purchased it I think you also made a great choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

I’m thinking of buying this mattress as well but can’t find confirmtion of their Oeko-Tex certification. They told me on the phone that their Talalay latex was made by Talalay Global/Latex International. Latex International is listed on the Oeko-Tex website. They told me their talalay is 40% natural and 60% synthetic.

Their Dunlop latex is 100% synthetic and made by a company called Mountain top Foam. Spoke to someone there today who said they are Oeko-Tex certified class one for infants but I can’t find verification of this at the Oeko-Tex website.

Also find nothing on Brooklyn bedding at Oeko-Tex website.

Oddly, on the Brooklyn bedding website, they list the Talalay as Oeko-Tex certified but don’t explicitly list the Dunlop as certified. But if you talk to them on the phone they say all their latex is certified.

Is there a better list of Oeko-Tex certified companies. Am I right to be suspicious? Want to verify this before I order. My wife is going crazy that I"m researching the mattress for so long. Need ot get something ordered. It’s for our 4 year old son.

Also spoke to someone at Jones Fiber, who makes their Fire Retardant material which is “cotton, inherent fR rayon, and low melt polyester.” even though Brooklyn Bedding talks about being made in the USA, Jones Fiber told me they get the materials for this fabric “from wherever is the cheapest” not necessarily the USA.

Heard that the production of rayon includes some pretty nasty chemicals. Any thoughts on that re: this FR fabric?