Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

We purchased the BME (medium) about 4 months ago and we are overall very happy with the mattress. We have been sleeping really well on it and it seems to be the right firmness for us. I thought initially I would need to switch for a softer mattress but then tried the soft firmness one that my sister bought and felt the medium was better. I do think however I will need to add a topper- maybe a feather topper to make it a bit cozier to sleep on; I realized I was wanting more of a plush feel, rather than a softer mattress. Overall though, I think the bed is a great value for the restful sleep it provides. And like many of the other reviewers posted, I realized I have less pain now.

The pillows (albeit free) are way too thick/dense to sleep on, though my boyfriend uses them without a problem. They are a nice prop up to read however.

I bought a pair of sheets as well and they are super soft and a pleasure to sleep on.

Hi Sm2323,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments … and congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

We just got a full size firm for our son. For some it may be overkill but he’s only 2 so we sometimes have to sleep with him. We bought a tempurpedic bed few years back and really like a firm sleeping mattress. We originally tried Leesa which is very high quality product but the one size fits all didn’t work for us. I woke up with really bad back pains. But tried the 30 days to give it an accurate test and just couldn’t adjust. We got in the BB mattress and being able to select what your needs are instead of trying to conform to the mattress is awesome. We let it air out for a few hours but honestly didn’t smell much to start with. We’re a fan and will recommend Brooklyn Bedding to our friends. This is a long term investment and really like that the warranty is backed by an established company!

Hi asindragon,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … I appreciate it…

As you know you certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

Your son is fortunate that you purchased a “big boy” mattress for him (and of course partly for you as well).

Phoenix

We purchased a Brooklyn Bedding medium firm Best Mattress Ever about 3 months ago. We will be returning it and I want to both provide our feedback for others, as well as get suggestions on what to buy next.

As background, this is a mattress for our vacation home (we’ve slept on it 20+ days in 3 months). At home we sleep on a firm pocket coil innerspring mattress with a 2" memory foam topper. We both sleep on our stomachs and I am 6’0", 165lb and my wife is 5’4", 130lb. We like our home mattress except for the fact that like all innersprings, it began to get depressions in it. We wanted to try something different for the vacation home with the idea that if it worked out we would buy the same mattress for home.

Good things about the Best Mattress Ever:
-GREAT breathability. Compared to the home mattress with memory foam topper, this mattress sleeps very cool. I love that!
-Delivery was SO convenient for a vacation home, since it could be left on the front porch in box!
-New smell dissipated quickly
-Very nice quilted cover appearance and feel
-Soft top feels great initially lying down.
-Great bounce

Things we don’t like:
-Lack of support. While it is very comfortable lying down in initially, I wake up with low back pain (the “deal killer” for me). Another very significant problem with the support is that each of us creates a “well” in the mattress such that it is difficult to sleep near each other, otherwise we get pulled downhill towards each other (the “deal killer” for my wife). We have to sleep either in each other’s arms or consciously make an effort to sleep far apart–the in-between doesn’t work.
-Poor motion isolation. Reviews I have read stated the opposite, but compared to our pocket coil with memory foam on top, this mattress transmits a lot of motion. Even my 2 year old hopping on the bed is far more noticeable than in other mattresses.

In retrospect, we would have been happier with a FIRM rather than a MEDIUM version. I bought the medium because my wife normally prefers a little softer bed and given my height and weight I didn’t think I’d sink in too much on a “medium” mattress. However, I don’t think we’ll try to exchange it for the firm, because I am worried that the motion transfer problem won’t be much better. Also, it’s unclear to me which layers change going from medium to firm. Ideally I’d want similar top layer softness but much a firmer support layer. I know that Brooklyn Bedding uses convoluted foam for the support layer–is that the problem?

So I’m back to square one, trying to figure out what mattress to buy. For our vacation home it would be very convenient to get another mattress-in-a-box. Any suggestions?

Hi Mattress4Matt,

You certainly made a great quality/value choice but I’m sorry to hear that your mattress didn’t work out as well as you hoped. The good news is that Brooklyn Bedding has a great trial period and refund policy so that you can return the mattress for a refund and start over again to find a mattress that is a better “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences).

Latex in general is “good” at motion isolation but it’s not as good as memory foam so it’s not surprising that you are experiencing more motion transfer than you would with a pocket coil mattress with memory foam comfort layers. Your “poor” rating is probably because you are using a reference point that comes from sleeping on memory foam because in general terms most people that sleep on latex don’t have motion transfer issues but of course some people are more sensitive to this than others.

Most of what you feel on a mattress will come from the top layers so if you were to purchase another mattress with top layers that have the same general firmness from another manufacturer it would most likely have the same firmness rating. The top two layers of latex in their firm version would be firmer.

Having said that … I would also keep in mind that there are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for mattress firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer.

Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

Probably not … at least not by itself. All the layers and components in a mattress (including the cover) will have an effect on every other layer and component above and below it and on the mattress “as a whole” so if a particular mattress isn’t a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, or PPP then it’s generally the result of the combined effect of all the layers and components in the mattress not just a single one.

Stomach sleepers will generally tend to do better with a firmer mattress to reduce the risk of the hips and pelvis sinking down too far and sleeping in a swayback position (which leads to back pain and discomfort) so your experience could be a result of the thickness/firmness of the upper layers and/or the firmness of the deeper layers but it’s much more likely to be a combination of how all the layers and components interact together with your body type and sleeping style.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … it’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

If you are looking at online options then the mattress shopping tutorial includes several links to lists of many of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types and categories of mattresses in a wide range of budgets, firmness levels, and with different return/exchange policies that may be worth considering.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

Just wanted to give my review of Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever. We purchased this mattress about 4 months ago now and can say this really is the best mattress I have slept on. My wife and I had just finish building our first house and she didn’t want to bring either of our old bedroom furniture sets left over from college into our brand new house. So after spending weeks looking at all the furniture options we had finally made a choice that we both could live with but what is the use of having a brand new bedroom set with an old, cheap mattress. So in comes The Mattress Underground with it wealth of knowledge to help us find a mattress that will fit both of our needs. I had read enough reviews and gone through the many threads here about mattresses, but with the great return policy I figured I would give the “Bed in a Box” concept a try. After weeding through the extensive list of reputable companies provided on this site I decided that Brooklyn Bedding would be on the top of my list. I ordered up the mattress with the discount code that was on this website and also received 2 free pillows which was a nice bonus. The box came and the mattress was vacuum packed just like I had seen in the video of the tour of the Brooklyn Bedding Facility. We torn into the box and let the mattress rest a full 2 days before we tried sleeping on it to make sure we had an unbiased opinion of the mattress. After the first night my wife and I were hooked on this. No more back pain and both of us could sleep through the entire night and we were waking up refreshed and ready for the day. This has been the story for the past 4 months now and whenever we travel we always say how much nicer our bed is than mattresses at high dollar hotels that we are staying at. We were ready to spend many thousands of dollars on a mattress from a big box store but decided to give this new “Bed in a Box” concept a try and were pleasantly surprised that it only took us 1 try to find a mattress that works for both of us.

Jon L.

Hi Jon819,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … and congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

It’s great to hear that it worked out so well for you and now that you are through the break in and adjustment period it would be reasonable to expect that you will be sleeping well for many more years to come.

Phoenix

We purchased a CA King medium firmness mattress last week and are absolutely loving it. The delivery was lightning quick, unboxing and set up were incredibly easy, and Mario was always available almost instantly for any questions. He was even willing to retroactively apply a promotion that appeared just after I made the purchase - talk about customer service!

The bed: not your traditional ‘memory foam’ style mattress. I don’t like that sinking feeling that memory foam mattress can cause in addition to the lack of mobility once on the mattress. The latex in the #bestmattressever does give it more bounce than other memory foam mattresses, but I find that more comfortable and nicer for, er, ‘bedtime activities’. :whistle: As far as design, it’s very elegant looking. I think many of the other reviews here can go into specifics, but basically the bed is comfortable and supportive and allows my husband and me to sleep closely together on our sides or separately on our backs. There was no off-gassing or other smells that people seem to find with competitors.

I just recently went back to order two king plush #bestpillowever and #bestsheetsever since I’m sick of walking into Bed, Bath, and Beyond and being overwhelmed by the crazy options, colors, prices, brands, thread counts, ahhhh. So far, Brooklyn Bedding has earned my trust and so I expect those items to be of quality. I’ll update on those later to give the trifecta of reviews for the products on offer from Brooklyn Bedding.

Thanks also to this site (especially Phoenix) for providing more information than I even knew was available on mattresses and for the personalized advice!

Happy sleeping!

Hi aaronjtaber,

Thanks for your comments and feedback and for letting us know what you ended up deciding.

As you know you made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I just wanted to extend a shout out and thanks to everyone here who has provided and shared feedback surrounding their experiences with Brooklyn Bedding and the BME.

I would like to especially thank Phoenix for creating this invaluable research website. I can honestly say that deciding who to purchase a mattress from was the hardest purchase I have ever had to make. Purchasing cars I have always found to be relatively easy but mattresses was not the case.

Also, special thanks to Mario at Brooklyn Bedding for all his help and assistance. I can’t say enough good things about Mario and plan on sending all of my family and friends to him in the future for all of their mattress buying needs.

Hi ActionJackson,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you decided to purchase … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Like the other members here that have purchased it I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it as well.

Phoenix

Hey fellow sleep seekers,

The reasons I went with Brooklyn Bedding were simple,

#1. For various reasons I decided to live in an RV for a year (a fun experience in and of itself), however the mattress that came with the RV was terrible (to put it mildly). Initially I got a mattress topper (one of those memory foam deals you can find almost anywhere) but that didn’t last, and before I knew it my back was killing me again.

#2. I couldn’t find any other foam mattress company that provided the Queen Short size!!!

So I jumped on board and ordered. Delivery was quick (as advertised) and the box came as described. I won’t bother to describe the process of getting an old mattress out of a cramped RV and a new one in (If you ever watched Friends - think of the episide with the mattress being moved…Pivot! Pivot! Pivot!)

So now it’s been about 5 months and both my wife (side sleeper) and I (back / side sleeper) are still very happy with our purchase. Soft enough for her (with the pillow top), and firm enough for me. We’ll be buying another one here in a couple of months when we move back into a house.

RVSleeper

Hi RVSleeper,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … and congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

As you know the Brooklyn Bedding BestMattressEver uses high quality and durable materials and now that you are past the initial break in and adjustment period it would be reasonable to expect that you will be sleeping well for many years to come.

Phoenix

Hi, just wanted to weigh-in on Brooklyn Bedding’s “BEST MATTRESS EVER”.

Last year we were in market for a new Queen sized mattress for a vacation rental property we own in Florida. After months of research, visiting brick & mortar mattress stores, reading reviews, etc. I somewhat hesitantly ordered the “BEST MATTRESS EVER” from Brooklyn Bedding - Queen size, Medium firmness.

Within days the grey box arrived at front door and we carefully unpacked the compressed mattress onto bed and watched the “explosion/expansion” occur. Within hours the mattress had expanded to it’s full size and height, had NO odor what’s-so-ever and seemed very comfortable.

Since last year, we’ve had dozens of Guests stay and enjoy them mattress and everyone has RAVED about it. We have a latex Vera Wang Queen in another bedroom that Guests also love but it was more than twice the price.

Since then , we have order a King BEST MATTRESS EVER for our own bed and we LOVE IT, not hot, firm without being stiff, sound sleep, I also LOVE the Brooklyn Bedding pillow although my wife likes her old frumpy pillow.

At the end of this season we plan to replace two twin and a King mattress at the rental property with BEST MATTRESS EVER also and we have family and friends who now are planning on purchasing these mattresses for themselves.

I would NOT hesitate to recommend this mattress to anyone. Great quality, excellent service and delivery, awesome customer service and your purchasing a Made in USA Natural Latex mattress for HALF $$$ what others charge.

Anyone looking for a GREAT night’s sleep…do yourself a favor and buy the “BEST MATTRESS EVER” from Brooklyn Bedding - you’ll thank yourself in the morning!!!

Happy sleep :silly: .

John

Hi jphughes,

Congratulations on your new mattresses as well :slight_smile:

It’s great to see that your choices worked out so well for you.

Phoenix

Just wanted to thank everyone on the site for all the advice. I have have had very firm traditional mattresses all my life. Initially tried a Leesa and returned it as it caused us pain. I them researched the Brooklyn bed company. Emailed Mario and he recommended a soft mattress. I was very skeptical but he said that based on the weight of my wife and I (105/150), we should try a soft bed. We have had it since late January and it is awesome. No pain at all and don’t wake up in the middle of the night much at all. Does not sleep hot either. Plan on purchasing one for my mother. Great mattress.

Hi robd19,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

As you know you I think you made a great quality/value choice and it’s great to see that the firmness level you chose is working out so well for you.

Phoenix

We are currently mattress shopping, and we finally settled on Brooklyn. While I know the message of this forum is that you can’t be sure until you’ve slept on the mattress, we feel like we can at least be sure that it’s very good quality product at this price point. We are currently sleeping on a memory foam mattress (Serta or Sealy?) that has severe indentations after just two years, so we’re basically sleeping on top of each other at this point! It’s been such a rough few months that we’re even upgrading to king just to be safe!
We’ve decided to try medium - my partner values support, and I value softness (my arm falls asleep almost nightly now!), so we hope it will be the best of both worlds, or at least a ready compromise.
Once we finally get the mattress, I’ll make sure to share some additional insights, but for now I wanted to thank you for this great website that really helped us in our search and mention that, so far at least, the Brooklyn team has been a delight to work with, both on social and through their chat function. We really hope this continues through the entire process and can’t wait to get to sleep on the #BestMattressEver

So the mattress itself didn’t work out for my wife and I, I won’t get into what I did and didn’t like, but I’ll instead go over what I experienced in the return process.

I was around 90 days in when I decided to return the mattress. If there wasn’t a good return policy I would have been fine keeping it, but I also probably wouldn’t have purchased it to begin with. Probably like a lot of you, I was a little skeptical and hoping for the best with the return process.

To begin, I emailed customer support. Mario asked me what I didn’t like about it, and I politely gave him my reasons. He sent over a link for an onlne return form to fill out… After receiving the form, Mario let me know someone would be calling me to setup a pickup. It took about a week, but a moving company finally contacted me to schedule a pickup. I did end up picking up a cheap mattress bag < $10 just to hold the mattress and the free pillows that I received. Once they picked up the mattress I emailed Mario. He emailed me back within one business day and confirmed that I had been refunded through paypal.

All in all it was pretty painless to return. I just wanted to let people know if they were skeptical of the 120 day return policy / no shipping fees.