Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

I know I’m late to this but My Green Mattress is one of the companies I’m considering purchasing from.

I was about to order when I found this post and noticed they use a small amount of polyester. I’m concerned not only by their lack of disclosure on their website regarding this, but also because I’m reading here that they’ve stated it’s less than 5%. However, another person that has contacted them about this has been told it’s 10-15%. It makes me wonder what else they could be hiding.

Hi fsumom,

I have known Tim and My Green Mattress for years and have had many detailed conversations with them about their mattresses and they are one of the most open and transparent manufacturers in the industry and I can certainly confirm that nobody there has any intention of hiding anything from their customers. I would keep in mind that we wouldn’t even be having this discussion except as a result of information that they provided.

Like other good manufacturers … they are also constantly looking for new sources for materials and components (including their wool) that can improve the quality and value of their mattresses but any good manufacturer will always make the performance of their materials and components and the best interests of the majority of their customers their first priority over other less important considerations (or the criteria or preferences of a much smaller percentage of their customers).

I have talked with Tim and in the case of their wool quilting their current wool supplier uses about 12% polyester fiber (which may vary slightly in either direction) in order to keep the consistency of the wool in their quilting more even and to prevent thicker and thinner spots in the wool. This would meet any reasonable definition of natural and their wool doesn’t use any chemicals but I’ve also edited the percentage in my previous reply to avoid any confusion.

They have experimented with 100% natural wool from different suppliers that doesn’t contain any polyester or “hot melt” but they found that when they used it to make their quilted cover the final result just wasn’t as consistent and given a choice between a less consistent material and possible customer complaints about “lumpiness” and consistency and performance they chose consistency and performance (and I think that the large majority of their customers would prefer that they made the choice they did). Their mattresses also aren’t being sold as “organic” mattresses (although they do use some organic components) and there would be little point in sacrificing the performance of a material or component for the sake of an arbitrary definition of “natural” that would have no practical benefit or value.

If you talk with them on the phone (which I would certainly encourage so that you don’t need to go by second hand information) you will also find that they will tell you anything that they know about all their materials and components and they also encourage their local customers to tour their factory so that they can see for themselves how their mattresses are made and all the materials and components that they use inside them. It would be difficult for any manufacturer to be more open and transparent than that.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix. I guess it’s just really disheartening because I feel this should be disclosed on their website. Someone that has really endorsed them recently found out about this as well and feels blindsided. I may still order from them. Kathy was prompt and professional in her emails to me so I do appreciate that.

Hi fsumom,

I don’t know any legitimate reason why someone would feel “blind sided” by purchasing a mattress from My Green Mattress.

Similar to my previous comments about “green” mattresses … natural also doesn’t have any specific definition (except that any claims about being natural are “reasonable”) and there are a wide range of materials that are called “natural” that also include a relatively small amount of synthetic materials or components. Even some organic mattresses (and they don’t even sell mattresses that they claim are organic) can include a relatively small amount of synthetic chemicals or materials. There is a great deal of confusion about this part of the industry and in some cases some exaggerated concerns that some people have come to believe based on incorrect beliefs or opinions that can end up spreading like a “virus” even though there is no legitimate reason for the concern.

No manufacturer would include every small detail about every layer and component in their mattresses on a website and they would quickly go out of business if they did because they would spend all their time explaining information that is mostly meaningless and would end up confusing most of their customers who really wouldn’t have enough knowledge or experience to understand or “translate” the information that they were receiving and would often attach more importance to it than it really has.

For those customers that for personal reasons have very narrow or specific criteria that would be unimportant to most people who would purchase a specific mattress then it would make much more sense to ask these types of more specific questions on a more detailed phone conversation (or in person if you are in their store) than to expect any manufacturer to include every small detail on a website and IMO a more detailed phone conversation is an important part of any online mattress purchase anyway. Websites are designed to provide more general information that would be of interest or would be significant to the majority of their customers and providing “too much” information can overwhelm customers who could end up not even considering them at all.

It’s also somewhat ironic that in some cases manufacturers that try to be as transparent and honest as possible can often become a bigger target for criticism than manufacturers that don’t provide any meaningful information about their mattresses at all. As you know I am a huge advocate for transparency but there is a limit to the amount of information that a manufacturer either can or should include on their website or that a consumer will fully understand or put into a meaningful context before it will do more harm than good.

You are a good example where they provided you with all the information you need to make an informed choice and were completely open and transparent about all the materials and components in their mattresses and yet you still aren’t happy with their website.

Phoenix

I actually found out about the polyester on this post and Kathy did confirm it. My issue is more that they are My “Green” mattress and polyester doesn’t seem very green to me. They were open and honest with me because I asked them about it after seeing it here. I would have never known had I not seen the post here. I don’t feel that’s very transparent to learn this from someplace other than the mattress company. With that being said, I don’t work in the mattress industry and have no knowledge of the manufacturing processes that are necessary to achieve a truly non-toxic mattress. I do know that Sleep EZ informed me that they do not blend any polyester fibers in with their wool. I guess my question is, if they can manage without polyester, why can’t My Green Mattress? I will call Kathy on Monday and get further clarification. However, I will say that I don’t feel like I’m being unreasonable although you’re making it seem that way. I am just trying to find the best, non-toxic mattress within my budget for my children. That’s my ultimate goal. I do appreciate the time you have taken to address my concerns and you have made me feel better that they are truly a reputable company.

Hi fsumom,

This is an example of the context I was mentioning in my last reply. They are much more “green” than the vast majority of mattresses that are on the market that only “call themselves” green (and there are many examples of this) and yet because of their transparency they have become the the subject of this type of “critical leaning” conversation.

Most of the information on this forum and in this topic about their mattresses originates from them and is available to anyone that talks with them and if that’s not “transparent” I really don’t know what is.

There could be many reasons for this (including their machinery or how their covers are made). They have even sourced wool from the same supplier that SleepEZ uses (and decided against it … although this also doesn’t mean that SleepEZ’s covers would be somehow uneven or “lumpy”) but they would be the best source of information about these types of questions. Of course that could take this conversation even deeper into the rabbit hole of more and more questions that spring from every answer or new “piece” of information. The bottom line for most of their customers would be that they are a great quality/value mattress that uses “natural” and “safe” materials (by any meaningful definition of both of these terms) that are well described on their website and that would be well worth considering as an option for those that prefer natural materials (even for their children) … but not for those that for personal reasons (rather than safety or performance reasons) are looking for a mattress that doesn’t contain any synthetic materials or any kind or a certified organic mattress (although some organic mattress do contain some synthetic materials as well). I would also keep in mind that an organic certification or how “green” a mattress may be has very little to do with the “safety” or performance of the materials.

I certainly don’t believe that anyone’s criteria for a mattress are unreasonable … they just are what they are regardless of whether they are based on any specific needs or are just based just on personal preferences. In some cases they may be based on incorrect assumptions or beliefs (which is part of why this website exists) but expecting to find every answer you may want on a manufacturers website isn’t generally a reasonable expectation in the industry. I don’t know of a single manufacturer in the industry that has a website that includes all the information that I could ask about on their website or that I couldn’t find some “fault” with if I wished to.

There is a great deal of information in post #2 here and the topics it links to about mattresses and children and “suitable” and “safe” materials including a link to some general guidelines for children in post #2 here. It also includes a number of links to the better forum posts and topics about mattress and children as well which have more information about many good options which would be well worth considering (including My Green Mattress).

Phoenix

I just wanted to update that I chose the full-sized Natural Escape from My Green Mattress for my 9 year old daughter. I am probably going to go with the twin Select Sleep 7" with organic cotton cover and organic wool for my almost 2 year old son. I just need to research appropriate configurations for him. Thanks again, Phoenix, for your help.

Hi fsumom,

Congratulations on your new mattress for your 9 year old :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

I’m also looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding for your 2 year old as well.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

For my son, I went with CozyPure’s 7" Natural Comfort kiss mattress in twin. I’m looking forward to receiving both mattresses and getting my children out of my bed :). Well, my 2 year old will stay a little while longer.

Hi fsumom,

You certainly made another great quality/value choice for your son … and congratulations on your second new mattress choice as well :slight_smile:

Once again I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it.

Phoenix

I have had the mattress for a week now and I am impressed. Although I had initially picked BBME I ended up going with another brand with turned out to be a mistake. I had read some criticism that the edge support on this mattress wasn’t so good, and as a side sleeper who sleeps near the edge, this support matters to me. I ordered a medium Queen & edge support is fine, in fact the support on this mattress is excellent, I don’t find myself “sinking” in as I did with the previous mattress. Mario, their customer service rep was also very helpful in answering my questions. As others have stated this, this is an excellent product & a great value as well.

Hi Loroi,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update and for letting us know what you ended up deciding this time around.

As you know you certainly made a great quality/value choice and it’s great to hear that your BME is working out so well for you.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix,

What is your opinion regarding this? This is from Quality Sleep Shop as well. Now, guaranteed this is completely my fault for not catching this or asking the question directly regarding these mattresses. Someone asked on Amazon if their wool was treated with anything and that even if the wool is organic it’s often treated. This was Quality Sleep Shop’s response. I guess this is why research is so important and that you need to know the appropriate questions to ask. I would have not thought bleach would be used in the treatment of wool going in a green mattress.

“My Green Mattress here. The wool goes through a cleaning process that includes a wash step, bleach step, a mechanical crimp/steam-cleaning step, then another wash. Although there is bleach used in the process they do not use any other harsh chemicals/heavy metals to process the wool. I hope this helps!”

Hi fsumom,

This is probably another example of “going down the rabbit hole” where almost everything you read can bring up some additional concerns.

Wool is usually bleached using hydrogen peroxide (not sodium hypochlorite which is what you usually buy when you are buying laundry bleach and will damage wool) and this is the same substance that is used in lower dilutions for washing wounds and for oral rinsing. It’s not something that I’m personally concerned about. I often wear wool socks and wool sweaters that contain wool that is most likely bleached.

Phoenix

Their comment does not say it’s bleached with hydrogen peroxide though. It says “although there is bleach used in the process they do not use ANY other harsh chemicals/heavy metals.” I guess that’s why this does concern me…because they’re admitting a harsh chemical is used. I understand that you’re saying, one thing leads to another and the customer starts complaining. However, first it’s the polyester fibers and now it’s bleach. What else did I not ask about that could be lurking in this mattress?

Hi fsumom,

Hydrogen Peroxide is probably a more “harsh” chemical than say the soap that is used to clean the wool but this is relative even if it isn’t something that would concern me or most people. Again … the type of bleach that you are most likely thinking of and are probably concerned about isn’t used with wool because it would damage the wool.

I’m not so sure that “admitting” or “lurking” would apply here or would be terms I would use and you would probably be surprised if you did a chemical analysis of many the most common products that you use on a daily basis or that are in your home that would probably be a much bigger reason for concern than the materials that are in the mattress.

In any case … the “bottom line” for me (and probably most people that aren’t looking for a “certified organic” mattress) is that I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase any of the mattresses that are made by Quality Sleep/My Green Mattress or have any concerns about their “safety” but of course each person may have very different criteria than my own.

Phoenix

Hi there! I work for My Green Mattress and I would like to clear up any misunderstanding or misstating of our products when it comes to the amount of polyester fiber that is blended into the wool. Our natural Joma wool is sources from sheep raised in New Zealand. The wool batting is processed with a small amount of polyester fibers that have not been treated with any flame retardants. The purpose of these longer fibers is to give the wool a more consistent weight and feel, and prevents the quilt in our mattress from feeling lumpy. The total composition of our finished mattress has less than 1% of this polyester fiber.

Thank you. I was informed of the same thing by Kathy. I received my daughter’s mattress this evening but haven’t had a chance to open it yet because, well, it is heavy and I need help carrying it upstairs ;).

My wife and I decided to upgrade to a king mattress at the beginning of this year. During that time both Leesa and Brooklyn Bedding had New Years sales so we ordered both. We ordered the Brooklyn Bedding medium and it arrived first so it was the first to go on the frame. We slept on it for 30 days and were both very happy with it. I’m a very hot sleeper and didn’t notice any heat issues. My wife was concerned with any foam mattress because she really didn’t want that sinking feeling (we have a new born and she is up at night a lot).

We then swapped it out for the Leesa. My wife was unhappy with it after the first few nights but we kept it on the bed for 12 or 14 days to see if she would get used to it. Again it didn’t feel too hot for me but could definitely tell the difference and the more sinking in feeling. My wife said it gave her lower back pain and she didn’t like that she had to “crawl out of it” to get up with the baby. And if she rolled over on her side she could feel the indent of where she was previously laying on her back.

We switched back to the Brooklyn and all is well again. We thought about trying out the firm just to see but have decided to just keep the medium. After reading some reviews on this site I’m happy to see that the Brooklyn has known good foam and the Leesa is questionable. I hope we are happy with it for years to come!

Hi samholton,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback and for letting us know what you ended up deciding … I appreciate it.

You’re right that the BME uses high quality and durable materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress relative to any weight range.

It’s great to hear that your BME is working out well for you and that both of you like it … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix