Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

Hi Dr.Ake,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thank you for the feedback to Sleepyinva on your new BME mattress – and congratulations to you on your new mattress as well! :cheer: I’m happy that you’ll provide us updates as time goes on with your experience with your selection.

And I’m glad you found the information presented here on the site useful.

Phoenix

Quick update after three nights. Extremely happy with the mattress! Wifey is happier now, too. I realize that three days isn’t much time, but quite honestly I LOVED it after just the first night. I had done most, if not all, of the research and knew what to expect. My wife, despite my explaining the differences between what we had (memory foam) and what we were getting (latex with slight plush/pillowtop) were, missed the more soft-top feel of the memory foam, and felt that this was firmer. She’s adjusting nicely and I honestly don’t see the need for any adjustments, returns, etc. in the future. My back hasn’t felt this good getting out of bed (at home) in a long time. I have felt tension and mild soreness in my lower back in the mornings for quite some time, and that is gone. We’re both side sleepers. I’m 6’ 180 lbs. and wife is 5’10" 150 lbs. The BME soft really seems to have been a good choice for us!

Now to buy a protector. Looking at this. Made in Spain, and looks like it won’t interfere with the feel and touch of the mattress.

Hi Dr.Ake,

Thanks for the quick update on your mattress. I’m glad both you and your wife are adjusting well in such a short timeframe. I’m hoping that you’ll be able to share more updates after you’ve had a chance to use the mattress for a while longer.

Regarding the protector, it looks to be a pretty standard design using a polyurethane film under the top panel for the waterproof capacity. It’s similar to many of the mattress protectors discussed in post #89 here.

Phoenix

What exactly makes a surface/foundation appropriate for this mattress (or any foam mattress)?

We bought a “platform” bed from Costco which is quite nice aside from I don’t think it provides proper support. It has the traditional three slats with two support legs on each slat and five “planks” that extend the entire surface creating what looks like a complete platform surface. The 16 or so inches at the foot of the bed is a solid frame that has drawers underneath. The issue is that the planks are like quarter inch particle boards and are flexible. They’re less flexible when screwed to the slats and end of frame. However, I can press down on the planks and there is noticible flexing, particularly between the slats.

When I first assembled the bed and was immediately concerned by the planks, I created three additional slats from pine boards to narrow the gaps between slats. Due to some variances in measurements (the stock slats are a bit less tall then boards I can buy), this created issues with the two sets of slats having different heights. As a result, the plank surface was actually less stable than with just the three. The mattress felt different in different places, as the platform surface appeared to flex more in different places (when pressed down on without the mattress). In some places (like my side of the bed), the mattess felt quite firm and getting firmer as the night went on to the point of feeling almost bottomed out and hard. This was particularly the case around my lower back which felt lower than my feet or head by morning My wife’s side felt quite a bit softer and she didn’t have issues to this extent. .

I’ve since ditched the extra slats going back to the stock three slat setup with the planks. The mattress on this setup does feel better and more stable. It’s not quite as firm and hasn’t seemed to have sagged/bottomed out as the night goes on. It still doesn’t feel as nice as on the floor and I worry that with time it’ll get worse. We put the mattress directly in the floor last weekend. It felt quite nice and soft on the floor.

So, what makes a good surface for the mattress and how might I best test the surface to determine if it is appropriate? I’ve debated ditching this mattress (we’ve had it maybe 70 days) and just cutting my losses and going with a traditional box spring and inner coil setup. However, I don’t think want to give up quite yet.

I’ve thought about ditching the stock slats and creating 10 or so pine slats (~3" apart). However, the two rail supports that the slats screw into ends maybe 8" before the headboard meaning that the 8"'or so of the mattress at our heads would be unsupported. Unless we used the planks, I suppose. But there would be some flexing in that spot. I also thought about trying to find a bunkie board locally but am not confident in that. I’d want to be able to return it if it doesn’t work out., so I wouldn’t want to buy online. The last thought was buying a box spring (well, foundation…can you even buy box springs with springs in them anymore?). Will furniture stores just sell a box spring? Would it work well with this mattress?

What about this foundation? Would it provide a good surface? If so, would it best go on the three slats or the planks (with slats supporting underneath, obviously)?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OEXUB5I/ref=asc_df_B00OEXUB5I4889373/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00OEXUB5I&linkCode=df0&hvadid=168221741416&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1640949490629864674&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018952&hvtargid=pla-273778474460#productDescription_secondary_view_div_1489804077234

If it matters, I’m 6’0" and about 150ish pounds. Wife is 5’7" and a bit more in weight (currently pregnant).

Sorry for the super long post. I hope it makes sense. I could get pictures if they’d help. Thanks!

Hi atomheartmother-

Brooklyn Bedding says this on their FAQ page: “Any type of support system that provides minimal to no flex will work with our mattress.” That said, I’d think that a uniform distance of slats or planks around 3-4 inches apart would be best. We just set up a new Costco (purchased at 20% off!) platform bed underneath our three-week old BME. For under-bed storage, we put the whole thing up on bed risers, so we have a lot of room underneath.

Costco version of the bed:
https://www.costco.com/Blackstone-Upholstered-Square-Stitched-Platform-King-Bed.product.100306333.html

Same from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W4DCVLW/ref=twister_B01LA79EEO?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Risers:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N25SDI5?psc=1

You certainly want a uniform, level surface under the bed, The foundation you ask about looks like it has slightly larger gaps than ideal. Probably better to just build or buy. Ikea has what looks like pretty good ones:

Hope this helps-
Drake

Hi atomheartmother,

It seems as if the issue you have is with your platform bed, not the mattress, because as you stated the mattress feels good when placed upon the floor (which is representative of the type of surface that you’d want under your mattress). The appropriate style of foundation you’d want under your mattress is discussed in more detail in the foundation thread here.

In a nutshell, you want a surface that doesn’t flex, and unfortunately the bed that you currently have doesn’t provide that level of solidity, so I wouldn’t recommend using it with any mattress (innerspring or foam) unless you properly reinforce it. As I’m not completely familiar with the construction of your platform bed, it sounds like at a minimum you’d need to provide more reinforcement under the deck. As an example, you could choose replace all of the slats (so that the height is uniform) and reinforce these as T-slats. Even with more slats, you still might need to go with a thicker top deck than what you currently have.

You could use a flexible slat system like from IKEA as Dr.Ake recommended, but I still don’t know if your support slat system would be adequate, and a bowed slat system will slightly change the feel of the mattress. You certainly can purchase a foundation (like what you linked to – and there are other vendors listed in the foundation thread I linked to above), and it would provide an appropriate surface, but again I’m unsure of the adequacy of your slat network as it currently stands. For a mattress with a polyfoam base, you want no more than 5" between the top slats of any foundation, and 3"-4" is even better. I can’t speak to the quality of the item you linked, and the distance between their slats is 4.75", so it’s on the cusp of what I would recommend.

In the end, the mattress has no choice but to conform to what it is placed upon, and this will influence your comfort, so I would focus on addressing your support system and making this as solid as possible so that it mimics the floor, and then you should have an appropriate sleeping surface and your mattress should feel much better.

You’re welcome to post photos to the thread and I’ll do my best to comment upon what you provide.

Phoenix

Dr.Ake,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and your current setup!

Phoenix

Thanks for the help! So does a foam mattress need an inherently different foundation system than an inner spring? Every bed I’be ever had has had the simple three slats. I’ve only ever had an inner spring mattress with box springs (well, foundations, I’ve never seen one with springs). I’ve never had issues. So a foundation/box spring like you’d get with an inner spring mattress would be insufficient for a foam mattress? BB makes it seem like it would be since they list it as one of the possible foundation options. In fact, it’s what’s pictured as the foundation in the picture of the mattress on their website. So, I guess I’m confused.

Thoughts on these foundations:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01AS4WAB4/ref=psdcmw_3733071_t1_B01HIR5FYS

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01HIR5ENK#Ask

Final note: it looks like people who bought the foundation I linked in my precious post have added additional slats to decrease the spacing between slats. If I did that, would this foundation make my bed setup satisfactory? Or are there still deficiencies?

Hi atomheartmother,

Modern mattresses, whether one-sided innersprings or foam mattresses, need to be placed upon a firm and flat surface that has minimal flex.

I think you’re confusing the platform that a mattress would be placed upon directly with the support structure (bed se) used underneath a mattress and foundation combination. When a mattress alone is placed upon a platform bed, if it is a slatted network there should be no more than 3" between the slats if latex (no more than 5" if a mattress using a polyfoam core or an innerspring product), and those slats should be reinforced so that they do not sag. If you have a mattress set (mattress and foundation), ideally you’d want at least five cross slats in a headboard/footboard bed set to support the foundation, and you’d want to make sure that those slats had some sort of reinforcement so that they don’t sag. Unfortunately, many bed sets are shipping these days with only three slats.

It depends upon the internal construction of the foundation to make sure that the top slat network of the foundation (if a wood foundation) has gaps no more than 5". Metal semi-flex foundations are often used with polyfoam core mattresses, but over time the foam can press into the grid network. This is explained in more detail in the foundation thread I linked to in my earlier reply.

I’m not completely familiar with the Zinus foundations you looked at but there appears to be larger gaps between the steel beams than I would recommend, and the thin wire on the other foundation looks to have a large unsupported span where it could sag over time.

I’m not familiar with and I don’t know how you would add slats to the other foundation that you linked to previously, and I wouldn’t recommend purchasing a foundation that you potentially had to modify. I’d instead recommend to purchase a foundation that is sufficient construction to meet your needs, like something along the line of this.

Phoenix

Thank you for you help. I probably wasn’t clear in describing the bed frame vs the foundation. I understand the difference. The Zinus foundation (the 4" one) looks nearly identical to the one sold by Brooklyn Bedding, but I suppose it’s not worth the risk or hassle.

At this point, I don’t know if any of this is worth the hassle. The foundation you linked looks nice, but really too much at $340. I’ll likely just return the mattress and picked up a traditional inner spring/box spring combo at a local furniture store. I’ll chalk it up to being mislead by Costco into thinking this bed was an appropriate platform bed. I’d honestly return the bed, but it seems to be the biggest hassle by far.

Thanks.

I’m reconsidering the US Box Spring. What would I have to do to make sure that my bed will be sound, sturdy, and supportive enough for this foundation? It’s a king sized bed. It has three slats that each have two support legs (about a foot apart, 6" each from center). The last 18" of the bed leading to the foot is a solid piece under which are drawers. So, it’s probably more the equivalent of 4-5 slats.

I’m attaching pictures. They’re not good but they’re the best I can get without taking the mattress of and disassembling the bed. First picture is near the headboard to the footboard. The second is the opposite starting just forward of the footboard/drawer section.

Before I drop another $340, I’m hoping to make sure that this is a solution that will provide proper support for the mattress.

Hi atomheartmother,

Thank you for the photos of your bed set.

If you chose to use the foundations like the USBoxSpring you mentioned, those would work fine upon your existing set up as pictured. The main support would be from the three cross slats with the legs down to the floor that you showed in the photos, and the “sagging” that you’re getting from the thin decking would not be noticed. I would just make sure that you choose the appropriate thickness of foundation so that your mattress doesn’t sit up too high, and also be sure that your leg height is adjusted appropriately if there was a glide adjustment at the bottom of the support legs…

Phoenix

Thanks for your help. I order the foundation. We’ll have to check it out Friday when it arrives.

Should I leave the fiberboard deck planks on or pull them off (foundation directly on the slats)? I suppose the decking really wouldn’t be adding anything.

Is there any value to replacing the slats with nice hardwood slats (the current ones are some painted plywood)? Or are they fine assuming they don’t flex and don’t break?

Hi atonheartmother,

I would leave them on, as in your bed set it seems as their primary purpose is to keep dust from getting to the contents of the items in the drawers under the bed.

If they’re performing well I would see no need to replace them at this time.

Phoenix

The Brooklyn medium is MUCH closer to the Brooklyn soft than it is to the Leesa.

We’re also returning our Leesa due to shoulder pain (side sleepers). We were a couple weeks outside their 100 nights but they still honored it, no questions asked. It’s also a quality product, just too firm.

Coincidentally we’re in Phoenix this week so we went to a Brooklyn store and actually laid on them. Soft and medium both had much more of a pillowtop feel compared to Leesa.

Based on your lower back complaints we’ll be going Brooklyn medium FWIW.

Hi logantv,

I’m sorry your Leesa mattress didn’t work out well for you. I advise caution to anyone considering the Leesa, as the 2" of 3 lb memory foam is a potential weak link in this mattress. You can read more about Leesa in post #2 here .

I’m glad you were able to test out these mattresses in person, as nothing can replace your own personal experience and opinion. The BME models use a total of 4" of latex on top, versus the 2" of high performance polyfoam and 2" of memory foam, so the BME would have more of a “buoyant” comfort, which I think is what you are referring to when you say “pillowtop feel” (pillowtop is a tailoring process and not a comfort designation). There are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings, and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than other manufacturers, so I’m glad you were able to test these items in person (see post #15 here).

Congratulations on purchasing your new mattress! :cheer: I’ll look forward to any feedback you have upon the product once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Phoenix

Here’s the story: Bought Queen BBE Soft and have had it for about two weeks. Synopsis: Worst back ache and hip pain ever!!! Wake up every morning with a sore back and bad hip…side sleeper, figured I probably should have chosen the Medium firmness. Wife, who thought she loved a soft mattress…ditto but less pain.

This Friday I swapped beds with my “old reliable spring mattress” in spare room; put that on my foundation in Master (foundation was a new 5" foundation/metal frame that came with a Saatva bed I returned). I kept it since it was sturdy, new, and decent price. I put the BBE on my old box spring with old metal support frame in spare bed.

Situation occurs where son has to sleep with wife so I get booted out of the bed; have to go sleep on the BBE on the old box spring. Guess what? Beautiful sleep!!! No aches, no pains, just great sleep. Happened again the 2nd night…no aches and pains, great rest.

Am I missing something here? Obviously the old box spring was the key, but it seems kinda reversed.
I’m thinking of moving the BBE and the old box spring into the master and run with it. Thoughts?

Being one who has a BME Soft…I use a wireframe base (Inexpensive) and I sleep so good on it. Of course, I’m a side sleeper and we need a soft mattress. How do you sleep?
I would also ask Phoenix how you sleep well on the box spring.

Hi azcards4ever,

I’m sorry your current BME mattress seems to be a bit too soft for you. The good news is that you did choose a product that allows for an exchange/return should that become necessary.

Unfortunately your question doesn’t have any specific answers and there are a few “it depends” that are part of the answers that I might be able to provide you with, but I’ll do my best to see if I can help you figure things out.

First, there is information about the many different symptoms/pains that people may experience on a mattress and some of the most common causes behind them in post #2 here. Generally speaking, the most common reason for lower back pain is a mattress that has comfort layers that are too thick/soft or a support core that is too soft.

Starting with your BME, it is recommended that this be placed on a surface that is flat and firm. The foundation from your Saatva is a basic wood platform construction, so that generally would suffice. Your bedframe should also be fine, and you’d want to make sure that the center support for that is in place. So I’m assuming that the frame/foundation set up in your master bedroom is appropriate for the BME mattress and gives a more accurate representation of how the mattress is supposed to perform.

Moving to the guest bedroom, you describe the old bottom part of your mattress set as a “box spring”. Is it actually a true coil box spring that has quit a bit of flex to it? This is not too common, even going back a few decades ago. Is it a folded torsion system that flexes a bit but not as much as a coil box spring? And does the frame in that room have a proper center reinforcement?

The reason I’m curious about the actual construction of the guest room “box spring” is that it would provide some insight into what you’re experiencing. Assuming that it is an actual coil box spring, it might be allowing your BME to sink in more than when placed upon a proper flat surface, allowing you to sink in more deeply, which could point toward you having a “learned alignment” where you prefer to have your hips sink in more deeply with an accentuated lateral curvature. As you’ve only had your current mattress for two weeks, it might not be enough time for your body to adjust to a better alignment. An “active component” under your mattress generally impacts your deep support characteristics, and not so much your perception of surface comfort. It could be that you respond best to having something under your mattress that does allow for some “give”.

Another difference is dynamic of who is sleeping in the mattress. I would test out both of you sleeping on the BME in the guest room and see if you still sleep well, as having two people in the mattress also can impact your alignment.

Besides those two thoughts and the link I provided above, these are just my best guesses and “theory at a distance” as to the “why” of what is happening, and without more specific information I wouldn’t have a much better idea than those thoughts.

I’m curious to learn the actual configuration of your “box spring”.

Phoenix

Ugh. I wish I didn’t have to say this, but our (Soft) BME will be going back (or donated, or whatever.) My wife, the impetus behind the search for a new mattress, has not been able to adjust to the BME. While I am very happy with the mattress, it’s too firm for her and she has decided that it has to go. The motion transfer quality of the mattress is also a big problem for her. That bouncy feeling of latex is not what she wants.

We would like to stay with a 10" thickness so we don’t have to replace all of our great sheets and we already have the bed frame up on risers for storage underneath, so if we had to go with a 14 inch mattress, we’d have to jump up to get on the bed. We’re now looking at the Helix in the softest configuration. Any other suggestions?