Brooklyn Bedding: Questions and Comparisons

Been doing my research over the past few weeks and think I’ve narrowed my mattress search down considerably. I know I want a latex mattress and Brooklyn Bedding’s Bamboo Bliss is my #1 choice right now, followed by the Aloe Alexis at #2.

However, I’m struggling with a few issues still. I sought out a few places that sell latex mattresses in Atlanta in order to get a better feel for latex. Tested out some Pure Latex Bliss models: Mezzanine, Vitality, Nature, and Beautiful. Nature was the one I liked the feel of the most, but it is also all-latex. Unfortunately, Brooklyn Bedding’s all-latex model is probably a bit out of my price range at $2100.

Out of the PLB models, the Vitality was my next choice. It has a 4" talalay comfort layer and a 7" bonded foam / latex (not totally sure what that means) support core. PLB gives the Vitality a “plushness rating” of 8, but not sure how meaningful that is. Trying to figure out how the Vitality might compare to some of the Brooklyn Bedding models. The Bamboo Bliss model has a 3" talalay comfort layer and an 8" foam support core. Would these two models be somewhat comparable?

Was also curious about the ILD ratings. On the Bamboo Bliss, I think I would either go with a “6” (medium) or “8” (plush), but not quite sure which one yet. However, the ILD rating was 19 for the “plush”. Is that a bit low? I know I’ve read a few threads on this form mentioning the ILD ratings for the latex comfort layer, and just wanted to know how much of a difference there might be between ILD rating of 24 (medium) vs ILD rating of 19 (plush)?

Finally, wanted to know how much difference the 2nd layer of latex in the Aloe Alexis might make? Since I did like the all-latex PLB model, I’m not sure if that means that the Aloe Alexis might be a better match for me. Even though it’s not all latex, it does have 6" of talalay latex vs 3" for the Bamboo Bliss.

P.S. Once I finally buy my mattress and test it out for a week, I’ll probably be back and review the mattress, as well as do a big Atlanta area write-up. Been to a few of the stores Phoenix has recommended, so I can provide some insight on those.

Hi Diderot,

The PLB hybrid mattresses have a different design with a non quilted cover than the BB mattresses which have a quilted cover (with a little over an inch of polyfoam quilting) so this alone would make a difference between how they feel and perform even if everything else in the two mattresses was the same. There is more about quilted covers in post #12 here.

You can read more about the bonded polyfoam / latex support core that is used in the PLB mattresses in post #6 here but it would be an “approximate equivalent” to a polyfoam support core that had a similar ILD.

There would be too many differences between the PLB hybrids and the BB hybrids to make exact comparisons based on specs even if you knew the ILD’s of all the layers in both mattresses although they would be useful as “one data point” that you could use in your more detailed conversations with BB to help you choose the firmness level that had the best chance of success. The PLB firmness ratings would also be another very general data point you could use in your conversations with BB and while firmness ratings aren’t consistent between manufacturers or between different people (what feels too firm for one person may feel too soft for another depending on their body type, sleeping positions, preferences, and sensitivities) … they can be useful as one part of the more detailed information that you can provide them to help them help you decide on your firmness choices. One of the advantages of component mattresses as well is that you aren’t “locked in” to your initial choice so you can use your actual experience (which is the most accurate way to assess a mattress) to decide if you would prefer comfort layers that are either softer or firmer than your original choice. Most people tend to be happy with their initial choices but some may need or prefer to make a layer exchange.

The ILD of a comfort layer that works best for someone depends partly on each person’s body type and sleeping position, on preference and on the overall design of the mattress. ILD is only one of several factors that affects how soft or firm a layer feels (see post #4 here) and every layer or component can affect the feel and performance of every other layer or component in a mattress. Having said that … 24 ILD Talalay latex would normally be rated as “soft” and would be a relatively small difference from 10 ILD Talalay latex which would be one step softer. The Latex International ILD range for their blended Talalay and their “word ratings” for the softness/firmness of each is here but I would be very cautious about using the ILD of a single layer alone in a mattress as a reliable guideline.

It can make a significant difference for some people and less of a difference for others (and this would also depend to some degree on body weight, sleeping positions, and preferences). There is more about the differences between a latex hybrid with a single layer of latex and an all latex hybrid and the Aloe Alexis (which is somewhat "in between) in post #2 here. With an online purchase that you can’t test in person … the best way to decide on which mattress would be a better match for you would be based on a more detailed conversation with the manufacturer (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding and of course your feedback about the Atlanta area as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix