Brooklyn Bedding Smooth Fit (Value Line)

Hello everyone,
I just bought the 10" Smooth Fit from Brooklyn Bedding. Yes I know that isn’t exactly their premium line but my son is 14 and doesn’t care if he gets a new mattress or not. The reason I want him to have one is his Sterns and Foster is sagging several inches in the middle and I think he isn’t resting well when he sleeps. When I lie on it the sensation is like being on a mountain side. In fact, once my 3 year old was laying in the center I felt that if a comforter had been completely over her she would have been next to invisible!
The expected lifespan of the Smooth Fit is 8-10 years but for $379 (queen) I get to see if he sleeps better and/or likes medium-firm memory foam…If not, I’ll move it to the guest room.
I"ll give some sort of review after we take delivery in-case there are some readers who cannot or will not budget for a mattress over $400.
Otherwise, Brooklyn Bedding continues to be excellent in the customer service department and pleasant to deal with in all things.
Regards,
Jeff

Hi jefmoody,

The Smooth Fit is a new line for them and I think you are the first on the forum to share any feedback about it.

I’m looking forward to hearing about your experience when you receive it and as you mentioned there are probably many others whose main or in some cases only priority is cost and who would be interested in your feedback as well.

Phoenix

The Smooth Fit arrived today.
I opened her up and allowed about 4 hours before putting the mattress cover (Sleep Tite) on. I will add the sheets in a few moments; however, my son will be away for the weekend so it’s possible no one will sleep on it for a few days.
There was no noticeable off-gassing but the mattress is much lighter than my Aloe Alexis.
I may try it myself one night just to review it… either way, I’ll give some feedback on its comfort at a later time.

Hi jefmoody,

That would be great … I guess you could call that “taking/sleeping on one” for the team :slight_smile:

Phoenix

My 14 year old son slept the first night on his new bed. He reports that it is much better than the old Stearns and Foster.
He says that “the old mattress was too soft and this one is much more firm.” He claims to “Really like it.”
I tried to dig a little deeper but was not successful getting any more explanation out of him… I’ll ask him again in a few weeks.
BTW - I paid $379 for a queen so I’m not expecting it to last forever; however, I’ll be watching closely for sagging and/or defects of any type.

The first week is in the books and I have not slept on the mattress; however, my son says that it seems like he is more rested than before and he doesn’t notice any defects (such as sagging or otherwise). There are no complaints of it being hotter than the mattress before. Looks like the $379 was money well spent up to this point.

I know the foam is 2.5 lb foam and it is only 2.5" thick so the memory foam will begin to fail before the 1.5 lb base.
Here is the question… If after a few years the memory foam has completely collapsed, would it be possible to add a 5lb memory foam topper since the base should still be good for several more years?
I ask because Brooklyn Bedding’s 5lb queen memory foam topper was just over $200 and could potentially be used for many years.

Hi jefmoody,

If you add a topper over a mattress that has developed soft spots or impressions then the topper will tend to dip into the soft spots so it wouldn’t be a very effective “fix” if there were alignment issues. If the biggest issue was the loss of comfort or pressure relief (feeling too much of the foam underneath the memory foam) then it could help but at the risk of exchanging a pressure issue with an alignment issue.

There are a few other suggestions that may partially or temporarily help a mattress with layers that have softened or broken down in post #4 here but the “best” way to fix it would be to replace the layers that have softened or broken down.

Phoenix

Finally, I had an adult sleep on the Smooth Fit while my son is on vacation…
The subject is in his 60’s and has a bad back, Diabetes and general fair-poor health.
Here is the story:
He was staying with us for one night and when I heard him complain to his daughter that his back was killing him I suggested he try the smooth Fit. Since the bed in the guest room is my old one that hurt me daily he gladly accepted. When he awoke the next morning he was standing upright and looked normal. His first comment was not “good morning” but My back feels great!
I asked what he had at home since I knew it was purchased about a year ago. He said it was one of the “S” brands and costs over $1000.
This review may lack detail but he didn’t say much; however, what this man of few words did say meant a lot to him.
Regards and pleasant dreams,
Jeff

Oops, I forgot to mention his bed at home hurts his back also…not just my old one!

Hi jefmoody,

Thanks for sharing the story :slight_smile:

Given your friend’s experience … It wouldn’t surprise me if Dreamfoam had another sale of the Smooth Fit in the same firmness level as yours.

Phoenix