Brooklyn Bedding vs. Dreamfoam Bedding

Oops, I haven’t rotated my Aloe Alexis…I asked my wife to help me do it but she said “it’s too soon and that mattress is so heavy.” Thanks for pointing that out, it will be done tomorrow!
Yet another reason to continue reading this forum.

just wanted to thank everyone here for this thread - it really helped my understand and decide between the dreamfoam eurotop at 999 and the brooklyn bedding bamboo bliss at 1199. I went for the latter just because I like a really soft comfort layer and I am around 220 so the denser base layer was important. I had a long chat with carlos about the second talalay layer available on the aloe alexis for another 400. In the end we agreed I could wait and see how the bamboo worked and if I felt i needed another layer he would send me a heaver one and topper cover and I would use my current level 8 comfort layer as the topper.

Just for those who had asked above - I got the mattress underground 5% discount plus the free pillows for the facebook like

Thanks again all for helping me reach the right decision for me

Hi,

Just wanted to update:

Mario had asked us to take some pictures of the bed with everything (sheets, etc.) off of it, which we did this past week. Looking at the pictures, the bed looks fine (depressions not visible), but my wife said she still felt that when she pressed in those areas that were depressed when she had everything on the bed, it felt “softer”. I wasn’t there when they did this, so can’t say first-hand, but was wondering if that might be “normal”?

Anyway, we’ve rotated the bed 90 degrees and I’ve sent the pictures to Mario for his review and comments. He had actually also suggested (before we did all this) to try removing the top layer and sleep on the bed, but we haven’t done that yet, but want to try the bed now after rotating it (and planning to rotate every couple of weeks as Phoenix recommended).

Jim

Hi ohaya,

All materials will go through some initial break in period and softening and change to some degree and the covers will also stretch and loosen to some degree as well. Latex will do this less than other types of foam. Softness and firmness is very subjective and the “feel” of a mattress when you press in with your hands is not an accurate test and is very different from the “feel” when you sleep on it. This is why you can’t test the softness of a mattress in a showroom by pressing on it with your hands … only by lying down on it.

It’s also possible that the mattress was “on the edge” of the most suitable softness level and that even a very small amount of change can have a more significant effect for some people (see post #2 here).

I’m not quite clear what you mean here by “top layer” but I’m guessing you mean the quilting layer and cover rather than a mattress pad or protector on the mattress or the top layer of latex?

Phoenix

Hello everyone, like so many people I have come here for mattress education and reviews. After weeks of research I feel as though I’ve narrowed my choices down to two mattresses often compared in this thread: Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams Eurotop Latex and the Brooklyn Bedding Bamboo Bliss.

The wife and I tried a fairly plush1.5" fibre-filled bamboo cover / 3" talalay latex topper / 6" HD foam base at a local manufacturer and liked it quite a bit. The problem for us is the price is $1900 and we’re not going near that with so many competitive online offerings. I feel as though the two mattresses I’ve listed above should be comparable in overall feel with a correctly chosen latex layer.

For me, the wool fibre in the Bamboo Bliss is something I can certainly do without. The 120 day policy with BB is also something that is not a huge factor for us given the ability to swap out the latex layer with Dreamfoam at a reasonable cost should we pick a firmness level that is not well suited to us.

So Phoenix, I suppose my main concern is whether or not the 2.35lbs base foam in a king sized Bamboo Bliss is right for us (over the 1.5lbs base in the Dreamfoam) as a couple who share the following characteristics: 5’8-5’9", 170-180 lbs, mostly side sleepers, mild back problems, and 26-30 in age. I should also note that the lady is quite curvy. Is there any advice you could provide in this situation as to what would better suit our needs? I’m not opposed to spending the extra money on the BB model if it can be justified, for instance, that it is better suited to handle a total weight load of approx. 340lbs across the bed.

*if anyone is interested, the difference in price between the two is going to cost me about $300 with CAD/USD exchange and HST tacked on (TMU discount applied for the BB mattress).

Hi Matt ress,

While I can’t tell you which one to choose … I can share the thinking process I would use if it was me making the choice (keeping in mind that your priorities or “personal value equation” may be different from mine).

There are 3 main differences between them which are the cover and quilting, the exchange policy, and the density of the base foam (2.17 lb vs 1.5 lb). These three together with my own more cautious and less risk tolerant approach and my tendency to buy higher quality if I don’t need to “stretch” my budget to do so and can comfortably afford it means that I would personally lean towards the BB Bamboo Bliss.

Having said that … two of these three are non issues for you (unlike me) so for you it would really boil down to the effects of the base foam density.

The difference would normally come into play for body types that are either heavier overall (I tend to use about the low 200 lb range as a very rough guideline) or where the weight distribution or sleeping position of the person concentrates their weight more which would compress the base foam under the heavier parts of the body more deeply. These are the type of people you will often hear about that seem to be tougher on a mattress even though some of them are in lighter weight ranges. Because of your side sleeping positions and your wife’s curvier body type this would probably result in the foam compressing and softening more under her hips/pelvis which would likely mean that there would be some difference in durability between them although it wouldn’t be as significant as it would if you were in a higher weight range. It would also depend on how sensitive either or both of you were to foam softening overall (some people are more on the “I can sleep on anything” end of the range where it wouldn’t make much difference and others are more on the “princess and the pea” end of the range where they are more sensitive to any changes or softening in a mattress).

Since there is really no way to quantify what the specific difference in their useful lifetime would be in “real life” or where the cutoff point would be where you began to notice that you weren’t sleeping quite as well and you were begginning to “tolerate” the mattress a little more … it would really depend on your risk tolerance, your history with mattresses, which end of the “sensitivity” range you think you are, and and on how much a smaller durability difference between them (compared to if you were in a higher weight range) was “worth” to you even without the other benefits that would normally go with the BB Bamboo Bliss.

I believe that smaller differences in sleeping quality over a longer period of time are “worth it” because I think that in a decade or so when you look back on the purchase, a relatively small difference in price (particularly on a yearly basis) will mean less than how well I slept and how long I slept well before the mattress began to lose the comfort and support and I began to “tolerate” it a little more and enjoy it a little less.

While this difference will be less than if you were in a higher weight range, there will be some so it will really depend on how you feel about the pros and cons of each and on how much smaller differences are worth to you. I also think that either one would make a great choice that you wouldn’t “regret” making.

I know this didn’t answer what you were asking specifically (and it can’t really be quantified) but hopefully it will give you some sense of how I would approach it if it was me making the choice.

Phoenix

From what I’ve read they’re basically the same company.

Hi Sailcal,

Yes … they are “sister” companies with common ownership (see post #4 here and post #3 here).

Phoenix

Well Phoenix, it was certainly food for thought and that’s helpful in making a decision.

I wanted to add some food for thought of my own for those visiting this site/thread for help in deciding between these two models:
The Dreamfoam Eurotop Latex’s description on Amazon reads “The Zipper Cover on this mattress cannot be washed or dry-cleaned.” Where as the Brooklyn Bedding Bamboo Bliss reads “…all Brooklyn Bedding mattress covers come standard with DuPont KEVLAR thread for added safety & durability and can be removed for easy dry cleaning and sanitation.”

For me, the ability to be able to wash/dry clean the removable zipper cover is the factor that tips the scales towards purchasing the BB Bamboo Bliss over the Eurotop Latex. The ability to clean the quilted cover (which is responsible for wicking away perspiration and may experience spills) seems like a huge bonus when you consider that your mattress is likely to be around for 7-10 years. I don’t know if I am over estimating the importance of this factor, so I welcome feedback from all on this matter.

Phoenix maybe you can shed some light on this - are you aware of what in particular would allow the BB cover to be washable while the Dreamfoam isn’t? Dreamfoam’s cover seems to be very similar to the BB Cotton Camilla, which is washable according to BB’s description.

Hi Matt ress,

Nice catch … I’d never noticed this before :slight_smile:

While most people would use a mattress protector which would protect the mattress either way … it’s nice to be able to dry clean a cover and it’s certainly a bonus if it’s ever needed.

Outside of the obvious that dry cleaning could damage one in some way and not the other … I haven’t asked them why so I don’t know what the specific reason is but it would be interesting to ask them.

Phoenix

Thanks for all the info on this post (and the board/website in general). Looking at making a similar decision between these mattresses and great to have this resource.

Hi mrrr,

Welcome to the site … and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Longtime lurker, first time poster. :slight_smile: THANK YOU for this website and all the incredibly helpful, unbiased information. My husband and I would have gone into a big box furniture store without any idea what to look for if it wasn’t for this forum and I NEVER would have thought about latex mattresses. All I knew about was innerspring, memory foam, and the Sleep Number beds.

Instead - as a result of lots of reading here - we’ve narrowed it down to either the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop or Bamboo Bliss like a few others before us. My husband in particular is very, very unsure about this whole concept of ordering a bed online without trying it first but just yesterday he finally came around to it after we went to OMF to try their latex mattress and it was around $1900 for a king. I’m leaning toward the Bamboo Bliss b/c the cost difference is relatively small after factoring the 5% TMU discount and 2 free pillows.

I think I recall from reading the BB site that there’s a charge of $75 to send a replacement top layer if the one we order is too soft or too firm. DH isn’t crazy about the idea of that charge since this seems like such a big risk to him but I guess it’s better than having to pay a re-stocking fee or similar charge elsewhere, right?

When I explained to DH that’s how it works if we don’t like the firmness - we order a replacement top - then he was concerned that this is some kind of mattress with a bunch of different layers that will shift around and bunch up. I assured him that I haven’t read about any of those complaints but it might help if someone here could confirm for me that it isn’t an issue. (I hope!)

Thanks again for all the help!

Hi ItsMyNaptime,

You are right on all counts :slight_smile:

There is no such thing as a “free” exchange policy because all exchanges are built into the cost of a mattress and if they are “free” then the people who don’t exchange a mattress are paying for the ones who do. There is more about exchange policies in post #9 here and in many cases in the mainstream industry or in chain stores they are just an additional profit center or marketing trick disguised as a “benefit”.

Even if you were to add the $75 cost to the price of the mattress and offer “free” exchanges then it would still be a great quality/value option compared to most other mattresses that used similar materials or had similar options.

Latex is quite “sticky” and tends to stay in place and the latex is in its own separate compartment so there wouldn’t be any issues with shifting (see post #2 here and the post it links to). In the worst case if for some reason the latex layer was to shift (such as transporting the mattress on its side) it would be very easy to open up the compartment and move or “wave” it back into position again.

Post #16 here also has more about the comparison between the Dreamfoam Eurotop and the Brooklyn Bedding Bamboo Bliss.

Phoenix

Wow, you’re really good at responding to all these questions so quickly! The explanation about the latex layers generally not shifting makes a lot of sense. I’m crossing my fingers that DH is comfortable enough with the online purchase that we can place an order soon and start sleeping through the night again. Our old, broken down spring mattress has us both waking up with sore necks and backs almost every day.

For what it’s worth, he and I are both pretty average sizes. He’s around 5’ 9" and 175, I’m around 5’ 7" and 135 so weight shouldn’t be an issue with the Bamboo Bliss I wouldn’t think. We both sleep on our backs, sides and stomachs but that might be in part from tossing and turning out of discomfort. I hope this is the perfect mattress for us so I don’t have to hear him say “I told you so!” about the not-tested-in-person purchase. :slight_smile:

Thanks so much.

Hi ItsMyNaptime,

One of the benefits of a component mattress is that you have good options after a purchase to make comfort changes and if you are looking at a king size then you also have the option for each of you to choose your own comfort level on each side of the mattress so he can make the choice for his side :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hello. I’ve read this thread, and done some searches, and it seems to me that while Brooklyn Bedding and DreamFoam are sister companies with similar products, with the caveat that in general, the Brooklyn Bedding mattresses are of slightly higher quality.

BUT: all I’m in the market for at the moment are a couple of memory foam mattress toppers–a Queen 5 LB 3 inch topper, and a King 4 LB 3 inch topper.

So, with such essentially simple products, I’m wondering if there would be any quality difference between buying the toppers from BB or DreamFoam (the latter through Amazon). The DreamFoam toppers are about $40 - $45 cheaper each than the BB ones, and if they are sister companies, then I’m hoping they are equivalent products.
but
Amazon doesn’t supply as much technical info. as BB…but parts of the description wording are very similar to what’s on BB’s website. So, am I correct in assuming these DreamFoam toppers are identical or nearly so to BB’s; except for costing a total of about $85 less? Or am I missing something? Thanks!

These are the two DreamFoam toppers:

1. Amazon.com

2.Amazon.com

Hi gaeila,

I believe they are the same with the difference being the exchange and return policies (Brooklyn Bedding has a 30 day exchange/return policy for their toppers with a $50 shipping cost) but I would check with them just to be certain.

Phoenix

Here’s an update:

I bought two different DreamFoam toppers from Amazon. They are OK, but not great.

First, there is a 5 lb 3" queen size, which cost $162.00. You can see it at: Amazon.com

PROs: Low price, reasonably fast shipping
It is firmer than the 4 lb King. But not by a lot.
Cons: Doesn’t look like the photo. The color is a dar tan, and the foam itself looks like small bubbled swiss cheese. It is not a smooth foam expected from memory foam. My husband was not happy with how it looked. I wasn’t thrilled either.
The topper weighed only 32 lbs, so the weight is short, not really a fully 5 lbs.

Next, there is a 4 lb 3" King which cost $199.58

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EQJBQT0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pros: It’s very VERY soft, (which works for me)
The price was pretty reasonable
It was smooth, as expected, no “swiss cheese look.”
Cons: The topper looked nothing like its photo. It is GREEN. Not white/light beige as in the photo.
This topper will probably not last very long. Within a week, it started opening many tears and rips.
The topper weighed only 40 lbs, so, again it’s not really a full 4 lb topper if you do the math. Short weight.

Both toppers have helped both my husband’s and my backs, but not as much as hoped. My husband has tried sleeping on both toppers, and can’t decide which one is better for his back.

Also, I checked with Brooklyn Bedding, and THEIR 4 lb 3" King only weighs 35 pounds–even shorter than DreamFoams weight. At least according to the chat guy I spoke with.

Kind of disappointing, given the favorable reviews here for Brooklyn Bedding and DreamFoam. Maybe I just got a bad batch, or maybe they’re going downhill. Dunno.

So, the next step is to gamble more money on a 5 lb 3" king Sensus from either rockymountainmattress or sleepwarehouse.

Will update on that whenever.

gaeila

Hi gaeila,

The pictures are just “stock” pictures that are widely used to depict the “hand in memory foam” idea. The color or “look” of memory foam isn’t particularly important and memory foam comes in many colors and versions.

Foam densities aren’t exact and when a mattress manufacturer orders foam from a foam pourer it is ordered with a spec tolerance. For example if you order a 5 lb memory foam and the tolerance is 5% then it could be anywhere from 4.75 lb to 5.25 lb. If the actual weight of your topper is not reasonably close to the density it should be (keeping in mind that Amazon or courier weights aren’t always correct) then I would always call the manufacturer because it’s possible they shipped you the wrong one. A queen size that is 79" x 60" x 3" for example would be 8.23 cu ft. If the weight for this topper was their shipping weight then it would be 38.3 / 8.23 which works out to 4.65 lbs which would be very close to 5 lbs depending on the tolerances of what they ordered from the foam manufacturer. Again though I would always make sure you use the actual weight not the Amazon weight or the courier weight because if you do the same calculation on a king size using the shipping weight the density comes out to 5.24 lbs.

I’m not sure what you mean by a “bubbled swiss cheese” look but if you could post a picture it would be helpful to know what you meant. Either way … the “look” of memory foam isn’t all that important.

I think you linked to the 5 lb topper by mistake. Is this the 4 lb topper you ordered? If you ordered a 4 lb king size topper that is 79 x 76 x 3 it would be 10.42 cu ft. If the actual weight of the topper was 40 lbs then it would be 3.84 lbs which would be in the normal range for a 4 lb topper. If the weight was the 42.8 lb shipping weight they list then the density would be 4.11 which is also inside a normal spec tolerance.

It’s likely that the shipping weight they gave you was incorrect for a king size because if it was correct then the density would be outside of a normal variance and it’s probably the same as what they are selling on their Amazon site.

As you can see from the examples here … it’s important to use the actual shipping weight to calculate density or before you are “disappointed” and these are often not correct with Amazon or courier weight listings. I don’t think you got a bad batch as much as you were probably using the incorrect weights. They certainly aren’t “going downhill” and are working just as hard (if not harder in the last few years) to provide good quality/value to their customers as they have over the last almost 20 years.

Phoenix