Brooklyn Bedding vs. Dreamfoam Bedding

Hi carfey,

If you are an “average” weight or even slightly more (in which case I would tend to choose a firmer than “average” comfort layer) then I think this would make a great “budget” choice and it’s certainly great quality/value in its budget range.

The key is to make the best possible choice for the firmness of your comfort layer and of course they can help you with this … particularly if you have a reference point of latex mattresses you have tried where you know the firmness of the top few inches of latex in the mattress you tested.

Phoenix

TMU is perfect for researching mattress. I have found answers for all my questions and narrowed my choices to BB’s line up. This thread sealed the deal. I am 6’2" 195#, the wife 5’8" 135# and both side sleepers I feel that the Bamboo Bliss (Level 6) will be a perfect fit. Will be calling BB later today to notify them of my TMU membership and 5% discount. Also saw somewhere that if you like their FB page you receive two free latex pillows?

Thanks!

Hi 8hrzzz,

I’m glad the site could help you … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You are certainly making a good quality/value choice and as you know you have further options if you decide you need to exchange the comfort layer for a different firmness level.

Yes … this promotion is mentioned on the front page of their site which would give you a “double” bonus :slight_smile:

Phoenix

This thread was great help for me. I just made my final decision about buying queen mattress. I almost bought Ultimate Dreams Eurotop from amazon but after reading this thread I have changed my mind and will buy 12" Bamboo Bliss tomorrow. Thank you very much!!!

Hi SotY,

I’m glad you found us and that the site could help you make a great choice.

Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi,

The bed arrived this morning. Fedex just dropped the 3 boxes outside our garage, and I wouldn’t have known they were there, except I was checking the Fedex tracking :).

Luckily, no rain today!!

I got a couple of my sons over to help haul the mattress upstairs. It’s 120 lbs, so wouldn’t have been fun doing it myself.

We also got the Genius Hi-rise base and the mattress protector.

The base was easy to assemble. The two pieces essentially unfold, and there’re two interlocking pins, plus two winged bolts/nuts to attach to secure the pieces together.

Once our kids arrived and hauled the mattress upstairs, we put the rolled up thing on top of the based, and unwrapped the outer plastic and then cut the final layer, and BAM, it expanded.

I should mention that I was kind of worried that the plastic would tear when we were getting it upstairs, but I chatted with Mario, and he said it was pretty heavy, so don’t worry… and it was fine.

After getting the bed expanded we put the protector on top, and then a Sunbeam heated mattress pad on top of that (I checked with Mario again, and he said that’d be fine.

I checked, and there wasn’t much odor from the mattress itself, but the two pillows we got had a faint “paintish” odor. I opened those up and have it laying on a table to let them air out.

We got a “6” firmness, and my wife thinks it’s too soft (she’s worried about back/shoulder pain), but chatting with Mario, he suggested trying it for up to 30 days before deciding if we want to change the firmness. In chatting, he suggested that coming from a coil+foam (Costco) bed to the Bamboo Bliss, that the Bliss would feel more “comfortable”, so I told him we’d try that.

Anyway, that’s about it for now… We’ll probably try to sleep on it tonight, which should be a lot better than on the old (like 20+ years) spare bed that we’ve been sleeping on for the last 4 nights :)!!

Jim

Hi ohaya,

Thanks for taking the time to share your initial feedback and comments. I think it surprises a lot of people how quickly the mattress expands once it’s unwrapped :slight_smile:

With a tendency to shoulder pain your wife may end up being grateful for a slightly softer choice but of course your sleeping experience over the first few weeks is the ultimate test.

I’m looking forward to any updates you have the chance to share over the next few weeks.

Phoenix

Hi,

I’m planning to do that… payback for the help for you and this forum, if nothing else!

Hi,

So we’ve had the bed for about a month now.

My first (and still) impression is that it’s softer than we expected, but I figured at the beginning we’d try it and see how well it works.

Overall, I’m surprised that, after almost a month now, it’s quite comfortable.

With the old bed, I was having problems with numbness in my arms when I woke up every morning, and I actually had been having physical therapy for that. But, since getting the new bed, it’s much better.

However, one new thing: We’ve noticed that the areas that we sleep on appear to be sinking. We noticed that when we make the bed up in the morning, and you can clearly see the “contour” and the sinking areas.

I just messaged with Carlos (Mario wasn’t online) and he said that we’re “breaking in the bed”. He suggested turning the entire bed around, which we’ll try, but is this normal for one of these beds, after less than 30 days?

Thanks,
Jim

Hi ohaya,

Thanks for the update.

With a quilted cover a little would be normal yes. It’s a good idea to rotate a new mattress 1/2 a turn every couple of weeks for the first couple of months and then once a season after that so that it can break in and wear more evenly. With a king size the dimensions are close enough that you can rotate it 1/4 turn instead which uses more of the surface area of the mattress which also helps it break in and wear more evenly. This helps to avoid the “hump” in the middle where you don’t sleep which is more common with king size mattresses.

Phoenix

Oops, I haven’t rotated my Aloe Alexis…I asked my wife to help me do it but she said “it’s too soon and that mattress is so heavy.” Thanks for pointing that out, it will be done tomorrow!
Yet another reason to continue reading this forum.

just wanted to thank everyone here for this thread - it really helped my understand and decide between the dreamfoam eurotop at 999 and the brooklyn bedding bamboo bliss at 1199. I went for the latter just because I like a really soft comfort layer and I am around 220 so the denser base layer was important. I had a long chat with carlos about the second talalay layer available on the aloe alexis for another 400. In the end we agreed I could wait and see how the bamboo worked and if I felt i needed another layer he would send me a heaver one and topper cover and I would use my current level 8 comfort layer as the topper.

Just for those who had asked above - I got the mattress underground 5% discount plus the free pillows for the facebook like

Thanks again all for helping me reach the right decision for me

Hi,

Just wanted to update:

Mario had asked us to take some pictures of the bed with everything (sheets, etc.) off of it, which we did this past week. Looking at the pictures, the bed looks fine (depressions not visible), but my wife said she still felt that when she pressed in those areas that were depressed when she had everything on the bed, it felt “softer”. I wasn’t there when they did this, so can’t say first-hand, but was wondering if that might be “normal”?

Anyway, we’ve rotated the bed 90 degrees and I’ve sent the pictures to Mario for his review and comments. He had actually also suggested (before we did all this) to try removing the top layer and sleep on the bed, but we haven’t done that yet, but want to try the bed now after rotating it (and planning to rotate every couple of weeks as Phoenix recommended).

Jim

Hi ohaya,

All materials will go through some initial break in period and softening and change to some degree and the covers will also stretch and loosen to some degree as well. Latex will do this less than other types of foam. Softness and firmness is very subjective and the “feel” of a mattress when you press in with your hands is not an accurate test and is very different from the “feel” when you sleep on it. This is why you can’t test the softness of a mattress in a showroom by pressing on it with your hands … only by lying down on it.

It’s also possible that the mattress was “on the edge” of the most suitable softness level and that even a very small amount of change can have a more significant effect for some people (see post #2 here).

I’m not quite clear what you mean here by “top layer” but I’m guessing you mean the quilting layer and cover rather than a mattress pad or protector on the mattress or the top layer of latex?

Phoenix

Hello everyone, like so many people I have come here for mattress education and reviews. After weeks of research I feel as though I’ve narrowed my choices down to two mattresses often compared in this thread: Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams Eurotop Latex and the Brooklyn Bedding Bamboo Bliss.

The wife and I tried a fairly plush1.5" fibre-filled bamboo cover / 3" talalay latex topper / 6" HD foam base at a local manufacturer and liked it quite a bit. The problem for us is the price is $1900 and we’re not going near that with so many competitive online offerings. I feel as though the two mattresses I’ve listed above should be comparable in overall feel with a correctly chosen latex layer.

For me, the wool fibre in the Bamboo Bliss is something I can certainly do without. The 120 day policy with BB is also something that is not a huge factor for us given the ability to swap out the latex layer with Dreamfoam at a reasonable cost should we pick a firmness level that is not well suited to us.

So Phoenix, I suppose my main concern is whether or not the 2.35lbs base foam in a king sized Bamboo Bliss is right for us (over the 1.5lbs base in the Dreamfoam) as a couple who share the following characteristics: 5’8-5’9", 170-180 lbs, mostly side sleepers, mild back problems, and 26-30 in age. I should also note that the lady is quite curvy. Is there any advice you could provide in this situation as to what would better suit our needs? I’m not opposed to spending the extra money on the BB model if it can be justified, for instance, that it is better suited to handle a total weight load of approx. 340lbs across the bed.

*if anyone is interested, the difference in price between the two is going to cost me about $300 with CAD/USD exchange and HST tacked on (TMU discount applied for the BB mattress).

Hi Matt ress,

While I can’t tell you which one to choose … I can share the thinking process I would use if it was me making the choice (keeping in mind that your priorities or “personal value equation” may be different from mine).

There are 3 main differences between them which are the cover and quilting, the exchange policy, and the density of the base foam (2.17 lb vs 1.5 lb). These three together with my own more cautious and less risk tolerant approach and my tendency to buy higher quality if I don’t need to “stretch” my budget to do so and can comfortably afford it means that I would personally lean towards the BB Bamboo Bliss.

Having said that … two of these three are non issues for you (unlike me) so for you it would really boil down to the effects of the base foam density.

The difference would normally come into play for body types that are either heavier overall (I tend to use about the low 200 lb range as a very rough guideline) or where the weight distribution or sleeping position of the person concentrates their weight more which would compress the base foam under the heavier parts of the body more deeply. These are the type of people you will often hear about that seem to be tougher on a mattress even though some of them are in lighter weight ranges. Because of your side sleeping positions and your wife’s curvier body type this would probably result in the foam compressing and softening more under her hips/pelvis which would likely mean that there would be some difference in durability between them although it wouldn’t be as significant as it would if you were in a higher weight range. It would also depend on how sensitive either or both of you were to foam softening overall (some people are more on the “I can sleep on anything” end of the range where it wouldn’t make much difference and others are more on the “princess and the pea” end of the range where they are more sensitive to any changes or softening in a mattress).

Since there is really no way to quantify what the specific difference in their useful lifetime would be in “real life” or where the cutoff point would be where you began to notice that you weren’t sleeping quite as well and you were begginning to “tolerate” the mattress a little more … it would really depend on your risk tolerance, your history with mattresses, which end of the “sensitivity” range you think you are, and and on how much a smaller durability difference between them (compared to if you were in a higher weight range) was “worth” to you even without the other benefits that would normally go with the BB Bamboo Bliss.

I believe that smaller differences in sleeping quality over a longer period of time are “worth it” because I think that in a decade or so when you look back on the purchase, a relatively small difference in price (particularly on a yearly basis) will mean less than how well I slept and how long I slept well before the mattress began to lose the comfort and support and I began to “tolerate” it a little more and enjoy it a little less.

While this difference will be less than if you were in a higher weight range, there will be some so it will really depend on how you feel about the pros and cons of each and on how much smaller differences are worth to you. I also think that either one would make a great choice that you wouldn’t “regret” making.

I know this didn’t answer what you were asking specifically (and it can’t really be quantified) but hopefully it will give you some sense of how I would approach it if it was me making the choice.

Phoenix

From what I’ve read they’re basically the same company.

Hi Sailcal,

Yes … they are “sister” companies with common ownership (see post #4 here and post #3 here).

Phoenix

Well Phoenix, it was certainly food for thought and that’s helpful in making a decision.

I wanted to add some food for thought of my own for those visiting this site/thread for help in deciding between these two models:
The Dreamfoam Eurotop Latex’s description on Amazon reads “The Zipper Cover on this mattress cannot be washed or dry-cleaned.” Where as the Brooklyn Bedding Bamboo Bliss reads “…all Brooklyn Bedding mattress covers come standard with DuPont KEVLAR thread for added safety & durability and can be removed for easy dry cleaning and sanitation.”

For me, the ability to be able to wash/dry clean the removable zipper cover is the factor that tips the scales towards purchasing the BB Bamboo Bliss over the Eurotop Latex. The ability to clean the quilted cover (which is responsible for wicking away perspiration and may experience spills) seems like a huge bonus when you consider that your mattress is likely to be around for 7-10 years. I don’t know if I am over estimating the importance of this factor, so I welcome feedback from all on this matter.

Phoenix maybe you can shed some light on this - are you aware of what in particular would allow the BB cover to be washable while the Dreamfoam isn’t? Dreamfoam’s cover seems to be very similar to the BB Cotton Camilla, which is washable according to BB’s description.

Hi Matt ress,

Nice catch … I’d never noticed this before :slight_smile:

While most people would use a mattress protector which would protect the mattress either way … it’s nice to be able to dry clean a cover and it’s certainly a bonus if it’s ever needed.

Outside of the obvious that dry cleaning could damage one in some way and not the other … I haven’t asked them why so I don’t know what the specific reason is but it would be interesting to ask them.

Phoenix