Brooklyn Bedding vs. DreamFoam vs. Tuft & Needle

I’m in the market for a Twin XL mattress to go on an adjustable bed frame that I already have. I thought it would be fun to try one of the one size fits all" mattresses that were wonderfully summarized in this TMU post. I also expanded my choices to websites that offer mattresses in the same price range, but not necessarily one-size fits all. Based on that recap, I have ruled out Casper (a little overpriced), Leesa (cautionary 2" 3lb memory foam) and Yogabed (less premium foam in the comfort layer)…

If I were to tell you what type of mattress that I know I like, it would be Dilworth Mattress Factory’s The Performance, a 10" 3-layer Talalay Laxtex Mattress (6" firm; 2" medium, 1.5 soft)., but I know that mattress would be at a higher price range.

Below are the mattresses that I am considering, but since I can’t try them out in-person, I have no idea which one I think I may like more. Can anyone help me discern between these choices?

Brooklyn Bedding
Cotton Camilla
10" TWin XL $549.00 - 5% (TMU discount) = $521.55

• Mattress Cover: 100% Cotton
  • 1" Soft Reflex Foam
  • 3" of Synthetic Dunlop Latex
  • 6" 1.5 LB HD Foam Core

DreamFoam
Ultimate Dreams
10" Twin XL $399.00 - 10% (Dreamfoambedding.com discount) = $359.1

• Mattress Cover: Quilted Natural Bamboo Knit
  • Comfort Layer: 3" Talalay Latex
  • Support Layer: 6" 1.5lb HD Poly Foam
    Firmness Levels: Custom Made

DreamFoam
Ultimate Dreams: Natural
10" Twin XL $599.00 - 10% (Dreamfoambedding.com discount) = $539.10

• Mattress Cover: Quilted Natural Bamboo Knit
  • Comfort Layer: 3" Dunlop Latex
  • Support Layer: 5.5" 2LB HD Foam

Firmness Levels: Custom Made
Wool

DreamFoam
Ultimate Dreams: Freedom
10" Twin XL $499.00 - 10% (Dreamfoambedding.com discount) = $449.10

• Mattress Cover: Cotton
  • Comfort Layer: 3" Dunlop Latex
  • Support Layer: 2x3" Layers of Dunlop Latex

Firmness Levels: Adjustable - Big Plus?

Tuft & Needle
10" Twin XL - $375 - 6.5% (TMU discount) = $350.625

• Mattress Cover: high quality rayon and polyester performance fabric.
  • Comfort Layer: 3" of 2.8 lb high performance polyfoam
  • Support Layer: 7" 1.8 lb polyfoam support core

QUESTION: If I were to use the TMU 5% discount off of DreamFoam, would that be after their 10% discount?

Hi electricrelish,

[quote]If I were to tell you what type of mattress that I know I like, it would be Dilworth Mattress Factory’s The Performance, a 10" 3-layer Talalay Laxtex Mattress (6" firm; 2" medium, 1.5 soft)., but I know that mattress would be at a higher price range.

Below are the mattresses that I am considering, but since I can’t try them out in-person, I have no idea which one I think I may like more. Can anyone help me discern between these choices?[/quote]

The Dilworth mattress is an all latex mattress and three of the Dreamfoam options are latex/polyfoam hybrids so none of them will be the same as the Dilworth. There is some general information about the differences between an all latex mattress and a latex/polyfoam hybrid in post #2 here.

The Cotton Camilla and the Ultimate Dreams both have a Talalay latex comfort layer so they would both be “closer” to the Dilworth than the Ultimate Dreams Natural which has a Dunlop latex comfort layer. There is more about the differences between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here.

The Cotton Camilla is very similar to the Dreamfoam Eurotop here. They both have exchangeable comfort layers that allow you to change the firmness of the latex if you decide that your first choice is either too firm or too soft for you. The Eurotop has more firmness options available and has a bamboo cover quilted with polyfoam and the Cotton Camilla has a little better exchange policy, has a cotton cover quilted with polyfoam, and is also a little bit less costly. I don’t know the specifics of the cover or quilting in the Dilworth mattress so I don’t know how it would compare to either of them but the cover/quilting can also have a significant effect on the “feel” of a mattress.

The Ultimate Dreams latex is a “finished” mattress so you can choose the firmness level of the latex before your purchase but there are no exchanges after a purchase.

The top layers of a mattress will have the biggest effect on how it “feels” so if you know the ILD of the latex layers in the Dilworth then either Dreamfoam or Brooklyn Bedding would be your best source of guidance about which of their firmness levels would likely come closest to approximating the firmness of the top two layers in the Dilworth (although a single layer with a single firmness level won’t be the same as two layers that have different firmness levels).

The Tuft & Needle would also be a good quality/value choice but the top 3" comfort layer is A high performance 2.8 lb polyfoam that would be less resilient (springy) and have a different “feel” from either the Talalay or the Dunlop latex comfort layers in the other mattresses you are considering or have tested and is in a different category completely. There is more about the Tuft & Needle in posts #2 and #6 here and in post #205 and later in this topic (the posts before that are about their previous design).

Dreamfoam has a pillow bonus not a 5% discount but it can’t be “stacked” with another discount.

All of the mattresses you are considering would certainly make good quality/value choices.

Phoenix

I can’t seem to pull the trigger on any of these. It’s like the time, I used to go to the Napa wineries and was happy with their table wines. One weekend I went with an older manager to visit the wineries. He insisted I try the reserved wines. From that moment on, I was ruined. I still liked the table wine, but I now had a thirst for the reserves. I even signed up for several wine clubs to start having bottles shipped to me.

After sleeping on my parents’ all Talalay latex bed, it’s difficult to purchase anything else even though I’d rather save some money. No one knows my plight.

Hi electricrelish,

[quote]I can’t seem to pull the trigger on any of these. It’s like the time, I used to go to the Napa wineries and was happy with their table wines. One weekend I went with an older manager to visit the wineries. He insisted I try the reserved wines. From that moment on, I was ruined. I still liked the table wine, but I now had a thirst for the reserves. I even signed up for several wine clubs to start having bottles shipped to me.

After sleeping on my parents’ all Talalay latex bed, it’s difficult to purchase anything else even though I’d rather save some money. No one knows my plight.[/quote]

I think there are many people who have been in your situation of being squeezed between something they really want and their budget.

As you probably know this is something that only you can work your way through and all I can say is that you are looking at some good choices and I hope you make the “best possible” choice for your circumstances and preferences.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding. :slight_smile:

Phoenix