Brooklyn Bedding

I’m new to this forum and finding it quite informative. Looking at latex mattresses from Brooklyn Bedding. Has anyone purchased from them and would you care to share your opinion? Thanks.
John

I bought the 14" Aloe Alexis - but it just arrived today. It seems fantastic for the few minutes I tried it but maybe I can give you more detail after a few days.
I will tell you this: Their reps are really knowledgeable, helpful and did not try to push me in any direction. The did apply the 5% discount when I mentioned this website, gave me two free pillows and shipping was Free (Very fast too).

More later…

Hi jefmoody,

Thanks for your feedback and I’m looking forward to your further updates :slight_smile:

@jkinqt,

A forum search on Brooklyn Bedding (you can just click this) will bring up many posts throughout the forum that includes feedback from many of the forum members who have purchased from them.

Phoenix

thanks Jefmoody,
Im in desperate need of a good night’s sleep, so updates are truly welcome!

Some Rambling thoughts about the Aloe Alexis (level 3 firmness) mattress and shredded Latex pillows:

• Night one was good. I slept soundly on my back and on my side. I woke up without the typical shoulder aches (from side sleeping). I expect I will have less pain day by day.
  • I am sure this was the correct decision to purchase from BB and to choose level 3.
  • I like the Latex pillows; although, there was an odor. It has mostly dissipated in the last 12 hours. I did not smell the mattress at all and I am happy about that…
  • I have experience with very firm Memory foam as well (from visiting my Parents): I will say Latex is a very different feel (cooler, more bounce or rapid response…less toxic maybe). Memory foam has one advantage I’ve noticed (you are not disturbed when your wife moves or shifts). The downside to Memory foam is heat buildup. If you choose a very firm Memory foam it won’t give much of a sinking feeling like the softer stuff but you may have to turn the temp down a little lower to account for the heat.
  • All in all I am very happy with what I bought and I believe The Mattress Underground deserves a shout-out for helping me find this Mattress.
  • Knowing this review is after only one night I will reiterate that it is more of a “how I feel about it at this moment” than a true review. If anything should change (Good or Bad) I will report that as well.

Final day one thought: “I love it and would do it again”

My Brooklyn Bedding experience averaged fine. See my post here

Summary is:

• Mattress is great; wife has never slept better.
  • The wrong pillows were shipped. I’m not interested in paying return shipping, so I never contacted them.
  • The mattress measures 1-2 inches narrow and short. Wouldn’t be an issue except we have an actual bed (head and foot boards) and the gap difference is noticable.
  • Based on the wife’s sleep, the value is there, but buying local would get you the ability to return it (you can’t rebox a mattress that was machine-squeezed for shipping) and two strong men to put it in place and haul the old one away. Don’t sell that service short.

Hi SeattleTony,

Just to clarify … their “Cool” series have a free return policy that doesn’t require you to re-compress it for return.

For their mattresses that offer a layer exchange … the individual layers are only returned after you receive the new one and they are also simple to package and return.

Phoenix

I have now slept very well for three nights and i am still happy. Good luck on your choice. Let us know what you decide to do.

Does anyone have experience with BB’s all latex mattress?

Hi wc,

Hopefully some of the members that have purchased it and see your post will comment but you can see at least one member’s more detailed comments in this thread.

A forum search on “total latex” will also bring up more comments about it as well (although you may have to search each page of search results for the actual phrase (using the find function of your browser) because the search will bring up any post with the two words in it in any order).

Phoenix

After only 10 days, I can say I love the Aloe Alexis from Brooklyn Bedding. I no longer suffer from constant shoulder pain as day by day it has almost completely gone away.
My choice was firm (level 3) and I don’t think I will change anything; however, it is good to know I could for the next 110 days.
Latex is different and requires some getting acquainted time! This being said, I am sleeping better, feel more rested and no longer wake up in pain. I cannot believe I didn’t do this sooner!

I just ordered an Aloe Alexis as well, Mario took care of me, answered my questions and didn’t force any decisions on me. I ended up going with the Aloe because Im heavier (255) and the extra layers would probably benefit me so I’m not sinking through the comfort layer. I got a 5, I like some good support with a little cush, plus my girlfriend needs to like it too. I should have it by the 14th, then once I try it I’ll update. Buying experience was great though, no pressure. Got my free pillows, 5% discoutn and of course the free shipping. Should be good.

Hi mykvr6,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

I am super interested too…please add your initial thoughts / review after a few days.
It is great to have a place like this to learn about a topic I really never knew anything about.
I hope you love it but if not please let us know.

I’m looking into Bamboo Bliss myself - or maybe the Aloe … but either way … I was interested in the comment that - unlike memory foam - you could still feel your partner’s movements with these latex beds. I thought latex was similar to memory foam in that regard. We really want latex - but we also want to limit that feeling of the bed bouncing every time either one of us moves.

Hi AdamW,

To some degree this will depend on the specific construction of the mattress in terms of the firmness of the layers and the cover and quilting materials but in general terms latex is “good” with motion separation compared to other materials (more with larger movements than smaller “vibrations”) but not as good in this regard as memory foam (which is excellent in this regard) which absorbs energy more (hysteresis) and has little resilience (doesn’t spring back with pressure).

It is nothing like a typical innerspring mattress that uses helicals to connect the coils.

Phoenix

Thanks … so, if I may stretch this metaphor … If, on a scale of 1-10, a good innerspring were a ‘3’, and a memory foam were a ‘10’ - then a good latex bed would be like a ‘8’? Or closer to a ‘6’?

Hi AdamW,

I don’t think it’s possible to measure motion isolation in quite the way you are suggesting because there are variables between each material, between combinations of materials and components, and between the type of movement you are trying to isolate (larger bouncy movements, smaller vibration type of movements etc) and the effect of comfort layers (latex, memory foam, microcoils) compared to the effect of support layers (latex, innersprings). Comfort layers will have more of an effect on smaller or slower movements or can damp the effect of the layers below while support layers will have more of an effect on larger, stronger, or faster movements. There are also different types of each material and different mattress constructions that can have more of an effect than the material itself. Trying to make comparisons for each material in isolation can be more misleading than helpful.

For example … memory foam is a much more energy absorbing material and is also very point elastic (conforms to the shape of the body more exactly … at least if it’s good memory foam) and would typically be the “best” at motion isolation. But if you put memory foam on top of an innerspring that has helicals then you would still feel the stronger or faster movements that went “through” the memory foam and compressed the springs. In the same way if you had a memory foam comfort layer and then had a quilted cover that didn’t have any stretch you may feel smaller movements more because the cover would “pull” when you moved … especially if someone was heavier.

Latex, like memory foam, is very point elastic which means that it compresses at millions of specific points across the surface to take on the shape of the body profile with much less effect on the area around the point of compression but it is also highly resilient which means it absorbs much less energy than memory foam which has little to no resilience at all. If you throw a ball at memory foam attached to a wall it will just drop to the floor while if you throw a ball against a wall with latex it will bounce back.

Because of all the variables … I would use more “fuzzy” ratings and avoid the tendency to rate the relative effect of each material in isolation or as exactly as you are suggesting. As a comfort layer memory foam would be “excellent” and latex would be “good”. As a support layer memory foam isn’t used so it can’t be included in a comparison with other support materials and I would rate springs that use helicals as “poor to fair” depending on the type of spring, and pocket coils (which don’t use helicals and compress more individually) and latex as “good”. Polyfoam is also generally good at motion isolation.

Box springs under a mattress or other support systems that flex under a mattress can also transfer more motion than a support system that has no flex at all.

All of these would be subject to the specifics of the overall mattress construction and the sensitivity and sleeping style of the people on the mattress which may have just as much of an effect as the material itself. This is why you will see some people saying they can feel their partners movement on a certain mattress when large numbers of people say they feel nothing at all. Different people are more sensitive to different types of movement and different mattress constructions will have different overall effects on motion isolation so testing a specific mattress is usually the best way to know with the caveat that memory foam will tend to improve motion isolation more than other materials regardless of the type of construction.

Phoenix

Phoenix can really get to the details…
All I meant on my comment (about feeling my wife move) was that Memory foam is better than anything else for movement isolation - I don’t really know much more than that.
I would buy latex again if I did it all over from the beginning.

Hi jefmoody,

I’ve been known from time to time to go into a fair bit of detail :slight_smile:

Part of this of course is that it creates some references that explain the “why” behind the “what” so it makes more logical sense and makes the site more useful for “fact checking”.

Your answer is certainly more short, sweet, and to the point that memory foam is "better’ than latex at movement isolation :slight_smile:

Phoenix