Brooklyn Bedding

Thanks … so, if I may stretch this metaphor … If, on a scale of 1-10, a good innerspring were a ‘3’, and a memory foam were a ‘10’ - then a good latex bed would be like a ‘8’? Or closer to a ‘6’?

Hi AdamW,

I don’t think it’s possible to measure motion isolation in quite the way you are suggesting because there are variables between each material, between combinations of materials and components, and between the type of movement you are trying to isolate (larger bouncy movements, smaller vibration type of movements etc) and the effect of comfort layers (latex, memory foam, microcoils) compared to the effect of support layers (latex, innersprings). Comfort layers will have more of an effect on smaller or slower movements or can damp the effect of the layers below while support layers will have more of an effect on larger, stronger, or faster movements. There are also different types of each material and different mattress constructions that can have more of an effect than the material itself. Trying to make comparisons for each material in isolation can be more misleading than helpful.

For example … memory foam is a much more energy absorbing material and is also very point elastic (conforms to the shape of the body more exactly … at least if it’s good memory foam) and would typically be the “best” at motion isolation. But if you put memory foam on top of an innerspring that has helicals then you would still feel the stronger or faster movements that went “through” the memory foam and compressed the springs. In the same way if you had a memory foam comfort layer and then had a quilted cover that didn’t have any stretch you may feel smaller movements more because the cover would “pull” when you moved … especially if someone was heavier.

Latex, like memory foam, is very point elastic which means that it compresses at millions of specific points across the surface to take on the shape of the body profile with much less effect on the area around the point of compression but it is also highly resilient which means it absorbs much less energy than memory foam which has little to no resilience at all. If you throw a ball at memory foam attached to a wall it will just drop to the floor while if you throw a ball against a wall with latex it will bounce back.

Because of all the variables … I would use more “fuzzy” ratings and avoid the tendency to rate the relative effect of each material in isolation or as exactly as you are suggesting. As a comfort layer memory foam would be “excellent” and latex would be “good”. As a support layer memory foam isn’t used so it can’t be included in a comparison with other support materials and I would rate springs that use helicals as “poor to fair” depending on the type of spring, and pocket coils (which don’t use helicals and compress more individually) and latex as “good”. Polyfoam is also generally good at motion isolation.

Box springs under a mattress or other support systems that flex under a mattress can also transfer more motion than a support system that has no flex at all.

All of these would be subject to the specifics of the overall mattress construction and the sensitivity and sleeping style of the people on the mattress which may have just as much of an effect as the material itself. This is why you will see some people saying they can feel their partners movement on a certain mattress when large numbers of people say they feel nothing at all. Different people are more sensitive to different types of movement and different mattress constructions will have different overall effects on motion isolation so testing a specific mattress is usually the best way to know with the caveat that memory foam will tend to improve motion isolation more than other materials regardless of the type of construction.

Phoenix

Phoenix can really get to the details…
All I meant on my comment (about feeling my wife move) was that Memory foam is better than anything else for movement isolation - I don’t really know much more than that.
I would buy latex again if I did it all over from the beginning.

Hi jefmoody,

I’ve been known from time to time to go into a fair bit of detail :slight_smile:

Part of this of course is that it creates some references that explain the “why” behind the “what” so it makes more logical sense and makes the site more useful for “fact checking”.

Your answer is certainly more short, sweet, and to the point that memory foam is "better’ than latex at movement isolation :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix, the funny thing is that I read every detail you write (mattress knowledge envy).
Keep it up!

Hi, I am also new to this site. Have been researching latex mattresses and my head is spinning. Actually got to try a couple today in RI at the Clean Bedroom so have an idea how they feel. I was pretty happy with the Savvy Rest. However I like what I am reading on this forum about Brooklyn bedding so went to their site. Spoke with Carlos who was very helpful and we are going to speak by phone tomorrow. I am trying to choose between the Total Latex or the Essence. the Essence doesn’t have any reviews. I will tell you that I am a side sleeper for the most part, have fibromyalgia, RA and had major back surgery a couple of years ago and still quite uncomfortable. Haven’t had a full night’s sleep since. Would you have an opinion on which would be best for me…the all latex or the essense? and if the all latex one, do I get the talaly or Dunlop for the bottom. I am (on Carlos advice) gettimg a 7 firmness.Any thoughts?

Hi deb38,

The choice between 100% natural Dunlop and Talalay is a matter of personal preference. They are both very high quality versions of latex. They both come in a range of firmness levels but have a different “feel”. You can see some of the differences between the different types of latex in post #6 here and a little more about the difference in how they “feel” in post #7 here. The Essence has a Dunlop base and Dunlop tends to be a little more supportive and firmer than Talalay in the same ILD and it has 100% natural talalay in the top layer for a comfort layer. The Total latex mattress is all blended Talalay.

You can probably test the difference between 100% natural Dunlop and 100% natural Talalay or even a combination with 6" of Dunlop and the top 3" of 100% natural Talalay (which is similar to blended Talalay) at Clean Bedroom because the Savvy Rest has options for both.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for your very quick reply! But I did see a typo in my original post. Carlos said to get a “6” not a “7”. I was “this close” to purchasing a mattress from “Astrabeds” until I came across some posts on your site. I’m not sure I completely understand what this issue was but didn’t want to take the chance. But I have to admit, their constant sales that ended in “5 hours!” made me feel pressured to buy in order to get the “deal” and I don’t like purchasing like that. That’s when I read about Brooklyn bedding. I have read many many posts on here and they have been very helpful. Thank you for this site and all the research and work that you put in.
I did try both at the Clean Bedroom but with toppers as they were too firm on my back without one. But there was a topper there with wool inside rather than latex and I really liked that on top of a latex mattress. Have you had any experience with that topper? I just wonder if it won’t flatten out but at the price point (a couple hundred dollars), vs the latex topper, that wouldn’t be so bad if it lasted a couple of years. Anyway, I am way overthinking all of this and every time I think I’ve found the one I am going to order, I back off because of ???. This is a big decision.

Hello!

My spouse and I are looking at a new mattress as we are desperately in need of one as our 11 year old Spring Air is beyond hope!

We have two “Grand Canyons” on either side and “Mt Everest” in the middle…YIKES :sick:

We have tested various mattresses for the past year but have not found one that we trust (after lurking on this site for several months)…and to be honest, the prices of several of our most comfortable ones are simply way to expensive.

Brooklyn Bedding is in the running as one of the top ones we would even consider for an internet sale of a mattress…kind of scary to purchase one without “testing” it…

Hopefully we can make a decision within the next week because both of our sleep is suffering even with a Northern Nights fluffy feather bed to help mitigate the hip pressure points…(this does not work very well but is better than sleeping on coils… :frowning: )

Our biggest concern is having it be comfortable.

We live in the Denver Area and found a mattress at “Sleep Nation”. Their Dry Creek and Orchard Road mattresses were both very comfortable. They do come with a foundation as we will be “retiring” the Spring air to a barely used guest room. If we went with Brooklyn Bedding we would also have to get a foundation that would fit our king headboard/footboard/frame…

Well that’s it for now…back to running errands!

Thanks for all the great information here at the site!

Autumn :slight_smile:

ok, I just got off a conversation with Mario and based on what he said and what you said, I am leaning to the Essence. I really wanted to read some reviews on it but it’s too new a product. Have you heard anything at all on it? I would love to get some feedback! Thank you for your very helpful information.

Hi deb38,

I personally pay little to no attention to reviews unless they are about the knowledge and service of a retailer or manufacturer and not the mattress someone purchased (see post #13 here) and more to the quality of the materials, the flexibility and suitability of the design, and how well if fits my personal value equation compared to other mattresses that I’m comparing it to. The essence uses high quality materials (100% natural Talalay and 100% natural Dunlop), has no “weak link” in the mattress, and includes the ability to exchange the comfort layer if you make a comfort choice that is less than ideal.

You can’'t “feel” the quality of the materials and can only know the quality and likely durability of a mattress by knowing its construction and what is in it (regardless of which name is on the label) and what is suitable in terms of design for some people may be completely unsuitable for others regardless of the quality or value of the mattress.

Once you know the quality of the materials and you are confident that your comfort choice will be suitable (or close enough that you will know which comfort layer to exchange for if it’s not) then you are in a great position to make final choices and meaningful comparisons with any other mattress you may be considering.

Phoenix

Thank you so much. That makes perfect sense!

Essence core is actually all-natural Dunlop, not organic. But not to worry—all-natural Dunlop is good stuff!

Hi Bedimpediment,

While they are essentially the same (outside of the certification itself) … it’s not a mistake I should be making … and I’ve edited the post.

Thanks for the correction :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi deb38,
I don’t have any experience with that particular wool topper, but I’ve talked with people who sell wool toppers, and my impression is that some flattening or nesting of your body in the wool is expected (some people even like that), but in any case, this can be greatly reduced by regular flipping/rotating.

I do love wool bedding, and would love to try a wool topper at some point. I agree they feel lovely. I think that for some people, a wool topper over a latex mattress is actually ideal.

Hi Deb38,

I just realized I missed your question about wool but I think DahliaM covered it as well as I could. It will impress about 30% or so over time and this is a natural part of how wool performs and doesn’t indicate it is “wearing out” (unlike foam that impresses).
Post #2 here and Post #4 here has a bit more about wool toppers and a link to some manufacturers of wool toppers that are very knowledgeable about wool and are great sources of information (and they don’t mind talking about wool even if you don’t end up buying).

Phoenix

thank you Phoenix and DahliaM!

Well Phoenix, you may be surprised at this but as much as I liked Brooklyn bedding, I did not buy from them. I bought the Vzone from Flobeds. Yes, a bit more expensive but with my bad back and fibromyalgia, I felt that the vzone could be more customized to my problems. I spoke at length with Dewey and was quite impressed with his knowledge. He seemed pretty confident with the configuration we are going to start with but really stressed that he will work with me for as long as it takes to get it right. And thanks to you, I got 5% off by mentioning the Mattress Underground! And you get 2 free pillows. All in all it was pretty stressful to decide what vendor and which mattress to finally purchase but I must say that the Mattress Underground helped me navigate thru the choices as an informed consumer and for that I thank you. I can’t wait to get my new mattress. I would love to get more than a few hours of sleep. Thank you!

Hi deb38,

It doesn’t “surprise” me at all and as you know Flobeds is one of the members here and I think very highly of them. One of the important parts of “value” is the ability to customize your choice for your own specific needs and preferences and custom zoning is a great way to design a mattress that can “fit” very specific circumstances or body types. Their vZone is one of the things that makes them unique. Sometimes a custom suit or outfit is a better choice than anything “off the rack” even if it can be adjusted.

Overall I think you did your research, talked with knowledgeable people, and ended up making a great choice that was the best value for you.

So congratulations on your new mattress … and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Since the topic of this thread is Brooklyn Bedding…I added a mattress cover (Queen ~$36) from Brooklyn Bedding over the Aloe Alexis three nights ago. It appears to be of very good quality and easily covers the AA even though it is 14".
The decision to get the cover was because my 3 year old routinely gets on the bed and I am scared she will spill something…etc.
Although I have been singing praises for the Aloe Alexis I am on-the-fence about mattress protectors (This is the third one over the years). I understand they can protect my investment but I just don’t like the feel. This new one is the best one I’ve ever owned but it does detract a little from the Mattress.

Hi jefmoody,

I don’t think you’re alone in this but for most people they are just one of those “necessities” that go with a mattress purchase and are a better tradeoff than the alternative (accidents, body oils, and moisture reducing the hygienic condition or useable life of the mattress). They are certainly a lot easier to care for than removing a cover and cleaning it even though they will have some effect on the “feel” (depending on the type).

Phoenix