Budget Beds for Teens

I am looking into replacing my daughter and step-daughter’s beds in the next few months. They are about to be 15 and 14 years old and having been sleeping on Steamboat mattresses from The Denver Mattress Company for the past 5 years (which we really, really don’t like - my husband and myself have the same mattress and myself and my daughter despise it, my husband and step-daughter are not as picky). I am hoping to keep the cost around $300 for a full-sized mattress. I’m very intrigued by the DreamFoam mattresses and have been looking especially at the Arctic Dreams, but am not sure if it would be too firm (my daughter wants something pretty soft after sleeping on her current very firm mattress). Is this is a good choice for teens? The other mattress that has caught my eye is the 12 in 1 from DreamFoam, especially since they’d each be able to “personalize” it to their liking. Are there any other good options in this price range that I am missing? Thanks so much!

Hi kristinainaustin,

Welcome … and I’m glad you found us :slight_smile:

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that your kids are the only one that can feel what they feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for them in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to them or compare to another mattress based on specs (either theirs or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than their own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or their own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for them in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well they will sleep), durability (how long they will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

When they can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (and who won’t just sell you anything they can convince you to buy) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for your kids based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Both of the mattresses you are considering use good quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would compromise the durability and useful life of either of them. As you mentioned the 12 in 1 customizable also has the advantage of being able to customize it after a purchase by rearranging the layers or using the other side of the cover but of course it’s also a little higher than your budget range as well.

Your budget range is very low for a mattress that uses good quality and durable materials but outside of any local options that may be available to you … if you are only considering online choices then some of the better quality/value lower budget online options I’m aware of (less than $600 in queen size) are listed at the end of post #4 here (including the two mattresses you are already considering) although some of them are priced higher than your budget range.

If either of your kids are or will be taller I would also consider a full XL instead of a full size mattress because the extra length may be worthwhile so their feed don’t stick out of the end of the bed.

If you are also interested in local options then if you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix