Building Sleep on Latex Mattress

Hello!

My wife and I are building a latex matrress, and after reading lots of posts here we think we have a good build. We need something to accomodate a 150 lb side sleeper (her) and a 202 lb side/stomach combo sleeper. This is what we’re thinking.

6" of the firm dunlop core from sleep on latex
3" of medium
1" of soft

In theory we think this should give us a good combination, being “deep” supportive enough for my larger build/stomach sleeping, and soft enough to cushion her.

I know it’s all very subjective with lots of variables but in general terms does this sound like a good combo for us? Generally speaking? We are willing to make a return or two but would obviously prefer to get it right the first time B) B)

Hi Donkers83,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Congratulations non beginning your DIY mattress process. Just in case you haven’t already, read option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have some good information about the DIY process.

There’s a bit of information about different sleeping positions in this article that you may find interesting.

[quote]This is what we’re thinking.
6" of the firm dunlop core from sleep on latex
3" of medium
1" of soft
In theory we think this should give us a good combination, being “deep” supportive enough for my larger build/stomach sleeping, and soft enough to cushion her.[/quote]

If this is all from Sleep on Latex, this would be a 6" Dunlop core at 44 ILD, 3" Dunlop at 30 ILD and 1" Dunlop at 20 ILD. The key is finding that balance between your prone sleeping posture and you and your wife’s side sleeping posture, making sure when prone that the mattress doesn’t allow too much “sinkage” to allow poor alignment, but not too hard of a surface comfort to feel uncomfortable on your side. Between comfort and support, I’ll generally recommend deep support, as that has a stronger correlation to time spent in the deeper phases of sleep. You didn’t mention what size of mattress you were considering, but have you considered a split configuration with a different comfort for the left and right side of the mattress? Or is that even a worry that you have?

While the configuration you’re proposing certainly could work for what you’ve described, as you stated, it is quite subjective. Before placing a final order, I would phone Sleep on Latex and see if they have any other suggestions based upon their experience with their Dunlop and people of similar BMIs and sleeping preferences that they feel might be worth considering. They are a site member here, which means I think highly of them, their products, and their advice.

I’ll be interested in learning about what you decide to do.

Phoenix

Thanks for helpful info, Phoenix. We’ll give SOL a call on Monday, and will be sure to follow up with our results!

Hi Donkers83,

You’re welcome, and I look forward to learning of your results.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I didn’t realize that Sleep On Latex did custom builds. You mentioned three layers of latex (6" core, 3" 30 ILD, and 1" 20 ILD). I thought they only did a 7 and 9" mattress - please let us know. Thanks!

Hi rott10bird.

You are correct that SOL carries only 7" and 9" Dunlop mattresses and I can see how my response Donkers83’s Post#1 here can be misunderstood if it’s read out of context. (For this very reason I always try to also provide the general context within most of my replies but I see I am not always successful) :blush:

Clarification for those who may be reading this thread and may have the same confusion … SOL does not make custom to order mattresses. However, they do offer before and after purchase mattress customization with component style system layer exchange and topper fine-tuning,

What I said still stands for my reply to Donkers83 (who’s been working on a DIY of required specifications). As they were planning to purchase the SOL core for their DIY, I pointed out that it is worth considering getting all the layers from SOL which would fit their desired construction, This would be the 6"+3" for a total of 9" base mattress here then add a topper of 1" 20ILD to match the feel and built they are after.

I hope this clarifies things
Phoenix