Buy local-most expensive or online?

Hello from Miami FL,

I’m torn from buying from the safe choice: local Savvy Rest dealer, can tryout bed but most expensive. Or online from Flobeds, Foam Sweet Foam, Sleep EZ or Sleep Organic (did I miss a good one?). I know I want 100% natural latex, ideally all Talalay (Dunlop okay as bottom layer), organic is a plus. I’ve seen Savvy Rest Serenity it’s high quality with premium price. Which online dealer offers the same quality?
Many thanks!

Hi pmt,

Most (although certainly not all) people that are looking for an “organic” mattress are usually concerned more with “safety” than whether the latex has an organic certification. There is more information about the three different levels of organic certifications in post #2 here and some of the benefits of an organic certification in post #3 here and there is more about the different types of organic and safety certifications in post #2 here and more about some of the differences between organic and safety certifications in post #2 here that can help you decide whether an organic certification is important to you for environmental, social, or personal reasons or whether a “safety” certification is enough.

There is more information about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and there is also more about some of the differences between Talalay and Dunlop in post #7 here.

All of the latex you are likely to encounter (either Dunlop or Talalay that is made with either natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) will have a reliable safety certification such as Oeko-Tex, Eco-Institut, or Greenguard Gold and based on actual testing I would consider any type or blend of latex to be a very “safe” material in terms of harmful substances and VOC’s. If certified organic latex is important to you then some 100% natural Dunlop latex has an organic certification but there isn’t any 100% natural Talalay latex that has an organic certification. There is more about organic certified Dunlop latex in post #6 here.

The mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them also sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex (including 100% natural Talalay and Dunlop and certified organic Dunlop) that have a wide range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that that would be well worth considering. Post #3 here also includes a list of manufacturers that sell component latex mattresses and many of these are similar to Savvy Rest mattresses except of course they are generally in lower budget ranges and have different return and layer exchange policies.

Any mattress that uses the same type and blend of latex layers with the same thickness and the same firmness in each layer and has a similar cover as the Savvy Rest layering combination that your testing indicates is the best “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP will be closely comparable. It’s also possible that a mattress that has a different design (different combinations of layer thicknesses and firmnesses) may also be somewhat similar and/or may also be a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP as well even though the design isn’t the same.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with such as Savvy Rest) than anyone else.

There is also more about the pros and cons of an online purchase vs a local purchase in post #2 here and this topic.

Phoenix