Buying a new mattress in Jacksonville!

I’ve read a few posts already about Phoenix’s recommended or just stores in the area and unfortunately I won’t make it to fox mattresses, but tomorrow I am going to Coleman Mattresses. Price range around $800, looking for a full size for myself… and yknow two 50lb dogs too… hehe

I do a mixture of side/stomach sleeping, and so far all I really know is to get a 8-9" mattress with a comfort layer of 3"(for side sleeping). I don’t know specifics yet or anything but I’m hoping the people at Coleman are really knowledgeable, and i’m assuming they are because of their family owned business and that Phoenix has recommended them. I’ll be sure to mention themattressunderground for any possible discounts ; )

I don’t know anything about anything and have been reading quite a bit on this site but still feel so lost @_@ hopefully it goes well

Hi evanh1,

Welcome … and I’m glad you found us.

While of course you are always welcome to let them know you found them on the forum … they aren’t one of the recommended members of this site so they wouldn’t provide any additional discounts to the forum members.

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial but two of most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

In its simplest form choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to FIRST finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers (either locally or online) that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in that are in a budget range you are comfortable with and that you have confirmed will provide you with the all the information you need about the materials and components inside the mattresses they sell so you will be able to make informed choices and meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you are considering relative to your weight range that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix