Buying a new mattress

Hello there, thanks for your time. I’m in the process of buying a mattress and so would appreciate some guidance. I’ve been using SULTAN mattress from Ikea for about 3 yrs now. I can’t sleep on it anymore as I get with severe back pains. I would like to try memory foam mattress.

Can you guide me on what I should be looking for? I’d like my mattress to be a little firm. Any pointer on local manufacturers would be greatly appreciated. My zip code is 60089 (Buffalo Grove, IL)

Thank you so much for your help.

Hi BigBlueinll,

The first place to start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices.

The minimum quality guidelines I would use for a memory foam mattress are in post #10 here.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Chicago area are listed in posts #2 and #4 here and I would make sure you visit Quality Sleep / My Green Mattress which are members of this site and compete well with the best in the industry in terms of quality and value.

Phoenix