Buying First New Mattress - Princeton NJ

Hello,

I’ve been reading this form now for a couple of days and I’ve decided to post on here to see about what my best options are choosing a new bed. First some stats that I see are pretty common;

I am 6’1" 245 lbs and mostly sleep on my back. Looking for a queen size bed. I currently sleep on an older innerspring mattress that is pretty uncomfortable now.

I have a budget of $900.00 dollars and have yet to go out to try out any new bed. I am in the Princeton, NJ area and would welcome any advice in terms of finding a factory dealer in the area.

Finally, I’m really intrigued by the cost and what appears the be the quality of materials of Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever, but I’m hesitant based on my size. Will getting a medium firmness be enough or would firm be better?

Thank you for any help you can provide in advance.

Hi ElGuapoRugby,

Welcome … and I’m glad you found us :slight_smile:

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

The first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or topper or combination of materials and components would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or how a mattress or mattress/topper combination will “feel” to you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I can certainly help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you may be considering, act as a fact check, answer any specific questions you may have along the way that I am able to help with, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, material, or manufacturer/retailer is the best match for you based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

When you can’t test a mattress in person before a purchase then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, any special considerations you may have, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs or firmness options to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Monroe Township/Newark, NJ. region (subject to making sure that any specific mattress meets the quality/value guidelines I linked) are listed in post #7 here and for the Trenton/Philadelphia/Wilmington areas are in post #4 here.

As you can see in the comments in post #2 here about simplified choice mattresses … they use high quality and durable materials in their mattress that would be suitable for higher weight ranges such as yours (or even higher). If you are uncertain about firmness choices though then your best source of guidance will be a more detailed phone conversation with Brooklyn Bedding.

Phoenix