Buying for a large guy

Hello, I have been researching and found this site and all phoenix has put together to be extremely helpful. I am 6’2" and about 300lbs. I saw that here http://forum.mattressunderground.com/c/search.html?query=dreamfoam%2013%20gel%20memory%20foam&searchdate=all&childforums=1
phoenix said that the Dreamfoam 13" gel was great for around a 200lbs person. I was wondering your thoughts on how it will hold up to me. I am also looking at the parklane uptown. I live just a few blocks from their showroom. It is also comfortable but about $200 more than the dreamfoam. Thanks.

Hi KevKanos,

There is more information in post #3 here and the posts it links to that would be helpful for those that are in higher weight ranges.

While the process of how to choose a mattress would be the same (see the mattress shopping tutorial here) … most people in higher weight ranges will generally need or prefer firmer mattresses (firmer materials will feel softer because you will sink into them more) and materials and components that are higher quality/density and more durable than those that are in lower weight ranges (the materials and components in a mattress will soften and break down faster for those in higher weight ranges than they will for someone that is in a lower weight range that doesn’t compress the mattress as deeply).

I would be cautious about mattresses that use more than “about an inch or so” of memory foam that is less than about 5 lb density or polyfoam that is less than about 2 lb density … particularly in the upper layers of the mattress.

Phoenix

So I emailed chuck from Dreamfoam and he suggested the ULTIMATE DREAMS SUPREME 12″ GEL MEMORY FOAM. This seems counter to what Phoenix suggested here. I am having a hard time finding a mattress with a large enough 5lbs layer. I guess I’m asking about the durability of these 2 dreamfoam mattresses or mattresses like it more than anything. Being a big guy I don’t want them to break down in just a couple years.

I should mention I layed on a Cloud Luxe at a store on my side for about 30 min the other day and thought it was great. I thought it felt like the softer the better but I am new to this and don’t want to buy something with no longevity. I have had 2 back surgeries in the last few year. I am feeling much better now but my preference has changed so drastically as my back has gotten better that I am worried about overshooting on the softness.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. I have read a ton the last week and most of the stuff you linked here. I have been doing forums searches for suggestions on heavier people but it all seems to point back to getting what feels the best regardless of “stats”.

Hi KevKanos,

I would be cautious about both the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe and the Dreamfoam 13" gel memory foam mattress in your weight range because they are both the softest memory foam mattresses they make and because both of them use more than “about an inch or so” of 4 lb memory foam.

While there is no way to quantify how long any mattress will last for a specific person or predict exactly when you will decide to replace it because it is no longer suitable or comfortable for you (this is the only real measure of durability or the useful life of a mattress that really matters) because there are too many unknowns and variables involved that are unique to each person … if a mattress is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and isn’t close to the edge of being too soft when it is new (see post #2 here) and you have confirmed that it meets the minimum quality/durability specs that are suggested in the guidelines then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and with higher quality and more durable materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam (in the comfort layers especially) it would likely be in the higher end of the range or even longer and the chances that you would have additional “bonus time” would be higher as well.

If a mattress uses lower quality/density materials than the minimums in the guidelines relative to your weight range then it would be reasonable to expect that it would last you less than this … and depending on the many variables involved in some cases it could be significantly less.

It would also be reasonable to expect that any mattress won’t last as long for someone in your weight range as it will for someone that is lighter.

There is also more detailed information about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress in post #4 here.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial (which is the first place to start your research) but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase to exchange or return the mattress if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for … especially if you can’t test the mattress before a purchase).

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the quality/durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to your weight range.

If you are looking at online options then the mattress shopping tutorial includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types and categories of mattresses (including memory foam) in a wide range of budgets, firmness levels, and return/exchange policies that would be well worth considering although I would make sure that any mattresses you are considering uses mainly materials that are suitable for your weight range which would include 2 lb or higher polyfoam, 5 lb or higher memory foam, or any type or blend of latex (outside of a total of “about an inch or so” of lower quality/density materials).

If you are also interested in local options then if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well.

I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can certainly help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that you may be considering, act as a fact check, answer many of the specific questions you may have along the way that don’t involve what you will “feel” on a mattress, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, manufacturer, or combination of materials is “best for you” based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Ok, I got it. You convinced me about the softness factor. One thing I’m not understanding is that chuck said it would be too soft also so he suggested his ULTIMATE DREAMS SUPREME 12″. He says this is a bit firmer. I guess I’m not getting why. This has 4" of 4lbs as opposed to the 3" of 4lbs and 2" of 5lbs. Is there something I’m missing. He said it is enough firmer that I could use a topper to makeup the difference in softness if I feel necessary. I’m not opposed to that at all, I just don’t understand why.

Hi KevKanos,

While the density of memory foam is the most important factor in its durability (up to about 6 lb density or so) … I would keep in mind that density isn’t directly related to the firmness or softness of memory foam and any density of memory foam can be formulated in softer or firmer versions. 5 lb memory foam can be softer than 4 lb memory foam or vice versa depending on how the memory foam is formulated. There could also be other differences in the properties of different formulations of memory foam as well (such as slower or faster response, more or less breathable, more or less temperature sensitive etc) depending on the chemical formulation of the memory foam. There is more about the different properties that can be formulated into of different types of memory foam in post #9 here and in post #8 here.

Outside of the actual firmness/softness of the upper layers of a mattress … the thickness of the upper layers and several other variables can also affect how soft or firm a mattress “feels” to different people (see post #4 here). The Ultimate Dreams Supreme 12″ most likely uses firmer memory foam and also has thinner memory foam layers than the Ultimate Dreams 13" gel memory foam mattress which is why it would be firmer. It would be closer to the firmness of the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme while the Ultimate Dreams 13" gel memory foam mattress would be closer to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe.

In addition to how a mattress “feels” and how suitable it is for you in terms of PPP … I would ALSO make sure that it uses higher quality/density materials that are suitable for your weight range because this will be the single biggest factor in how long a mattress maintains the comfort and support which is the reason you initially purchased it.

In other words … the suitability of a mattress and the durability of a mattress aren’t mutually exclusive and are completely separate issues.

In its simplest form … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to first finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in (either locally or online) and that you have confirmed can provide you with all the information you need to know to make an informed choice and make meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress relative to your weight range that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

The Dreamfoam mattresses use similar or in many cases better quality foam materials compared to many memory foam mattresses that are in significantly higher budget ranges (such as Tempurpedic) and are certainly great quality/value choices but regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label … based on “averages”, lower density foam materials (including memory foam) won’t last or maintain their comfort and support for as long as higher density versions of the same material.

Phoenix

Thanks for all your help Phoenix. I think you have pointed me in the right direction.