Buying pocket coils online

Hi Phoenix,

When buying online, do you have any recommendations for being able to gauge (ha!) if a pocket coil unit will provide adequate firmness/support? The common numbers given out are usually height and coil gauge – but you’ve said previously that this doesn’t tell the whole story.

I’m currently testing out an online-purchased zoned pocket coil unit that’s not firm enough, particularly in the upper body area. I’m not a heavy person and I’m shocked at how far I sink in. The models I’ve tried in person with the same gauge (with comparable topper) felt way firmer and more in line with what I want.

I think maybe my only remaining choice to get the exact configuration I want is the Eco Sleep from Arizona Premium mattress. They describe its caliber-edge bolsa unit as a “firm pocket coil” on their site, and “a stiffer gauge than you would normally get, especially in this price range” and “a good, firm pocket coil spring system” in the corresponding YouTube video. On their DIY site, they say it “is semi-firm as a stand alone item,” and in your initial assessment, you called it “a firm support unit.”

So if I’m looking for a firm spring support layer, would you say this is one of my better options? And does coil height often correlate with firmness? The 6-inch high coils I’ve tried in person generally have felt stiffer than the 8-inch coils I’ve tried.

Hi The Toddler,

Yes, I see what you did there – very clever. :wink:

I think you already have my answer in the post you linked. There is no one overriding rating for an innerspring unit, and the best advice I can provide would be a discussion with the manufacturer selling the spring unit, and offering up the information about your current spring unit as a means for them to potentially compare the “firmness” of one unit to the other.

Some spring units are designer to allow for more conformation in certain area (zoned), or simply offer less resistance overall though the design itself. And remember that the padding layers will impact your comfort, and “comparable” isn’t “identical”.

It could be. Your preference can only be determined through your own personal testing.

The short answer is, “It can.” But for the reasons listed in in the link of mine you previously supplied, coil height is one of many variables. It is possible the shorter spring unit you tried previously got firmer faster because at a lower profile it needed to prevent bottoming out.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix!

Perhaps I should rephrase – would you say Arizona’s caliber-edge bolsa unit is one of the firmest pocket coil units out there scale compared to the offerings out there that you know of?

Hi The Toddler,

That’s a question I can’t answer, as I’m not aware of all of the pocketed spring units available from the different manufacturers, nor do I have data on the relative “firmness” of each unit, and there are also many variations upon these themes that can be created by the manufacturer. In the configuration of this Leggett unit you’re referencing, most people would consider it “robust” for the price point.

Phoenix