Can a mattress topper make a mattress feel lopsided?

I put a 3" soft Talalay mattress topper on my new mattress to make it feel softer until it is broken in. I weigh around 200 lbs, sleeping on a medium soft full size mattress that has a high weight capacity. I thought the floor was sloped and thought I would put longer legs on one side of the bed, but according to the level the floor is not sloped. I am thinking the soft topper rises up when I sink into it, causing one side of the bed to feel higher than the other. BUT I try to sleep in the center of the bed, so why do I only feel this on one side? And even if I sleep on one side it’s always the left side that feels higher? If it’s not the floor or the topper that leaves the base. I am using an new adjustable base that is reall thick. I don’t see how that could be sloped.

Hi gregtames,

Very perplexing! Have you tried putting the topper on the floor and seeing if it still felt ‘lopsided’? Also, you can possibly lay the level on the rest of the sleep system while the topper is off, just to confirm it’s level as well.

~ Basilio

I took the topper off and the mattress looks more level but when I lay on it one side still feels higher than the other.

Use a level with bubble in the middle.

John

I did but the lighting in the room isn’t the greatest. I tried shining a flashlight on it. Tried it in different areas of the room. In one spot it seemed a little off center but not that great. I probably need someone else do it so I have a second opinion.

Hi gregtames,
Just to verify - the topper is flat and level when you put it on the floor, correct? Next you need to eliminate the possibility that the frame and support layers are not uneven. Can you see any sagging under the mattress? What you describe seems to point to a worn out mattress with virtual impressions (foam broken down but not visible to the naked eye). You can read what @Phoenix has to say on virtual impressions here

~ Basilio

I haven’t laid the topper on the floor. I am 70 years old with arthritis. I can’t even squat. Same goes for looking under the bed and mattress. The bed is only a month old. There are no impressions. I will have to find someone to help me with this.