Can be frustrating

Time for a new mattress, I am waking up with a sore back that goes away after I get up, I also have sore shoulders on occasion, I am a side sleeper. I feel really comfortable on my back, but just can’t sleep in that position for whatever reason. I visited 3 independent mattress makers that have been in business for decades. Well regarded, claim to build the highest quality mattress, with the highest quality material.

I was surprised that 2 different people from 2 different stores, told me that memory foam lasts longer than latex. Everything I have seen while researching has suggested the opposite, but they say they have been making mattresses with these materials for a long time, so I guess it is based on their experience.

I only saw medium mattresses at these places not soft, although, they do custom builds so they might make them if requested, but I am not sure, they said they like to balance comfort and durability. So, they want something that is going to hold up over time. Softer would break down quicker but it all depends on how much weight is on it too.

I could not get a complete breakdown of the specs in the showroom, so, even if you go to mattress makers that have been in business a long time and build high quality mattresses, it does not mean they will be able to answer all the specifics, at least the person in the showroom. And sometimes, you can also get an answer that does not line up with the information that you read.

Ever consider that they might be honestly reporting their experience about latex and memory foam?

What is name of business?

I wouldnt trust a custom build unless it can be modified afterwards…Flobeds and SleepEZ already do that.

John

I have edited the post.

Hi Napper,

Sorry about your pain on waking up, and the confusion you’ve found from local mattress makers.

First, any mattress you choose will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) and your PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

As you can see by comparing the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know to the Mattress Durability Guidelines, latex is one of the most durable mattress materials you can have. While memory foam, if of good construction Ann’s density can last a while, memory foam, especially if insufficient density can ‘break down’ prematurely leaving ‘ridges’ and ‘valleys’ which can cause aches, pains and even alignment issues…We suggest any foam in a potential mattress has no more than an inch or so of lower grade foams (for memory foam no lower than 4 lbs/cuft for normal range weights, and 5lbs/cuft for higher range weights) and if polyfoam is used, with at least 1.8 lbs/cuft density, just to ensure you have support.

I would question any local manufacturer who says they do not have specifications; the Trusted Members of the site, for example, are all smaller manufacturers with proven quality in their mattresses, with transparency in their composition and construction, and great customer service. While you may well prefer memory foam, it would be integral to know the density of the foam, as well as details on the construction; any showroom unable to provide that would certainly not get my business…you may want to review the offerings of our Trusted Members before committing to one of these local mattresses.

Hi Basilio,

Thanks for your response, I have read this site and do understand what I should be basing my mattress choice on, I am not basing it on which one last the longest, it might have come across that I was looking for the longest lasting. I had originally posted quite a bit more in this post but removed some when I edited it. Here is how the visit happened.

I walked into the store, told him I was looking for a mattress, told him I was a side sleeper and that I was now waking up with back pain on my current mattress that goes away after I get up. I told him that it was 3 inches of 24-26 ILD Talalay latex, over 15/16 gauge Quantum coils. Then I told him that I have not had this mattress a long time, 3, maybe 4 years. That is when he said that memory foam holds up better and lasts longer than latex. Did not mention specific densities, did not say he preferred it, just made a statement that memory foam in general held up better and lasted longer than latex.

I told him that everything that I have seen says the opposite and he said he knows but they have been making mattresses with these materials for a long time. So, without specifically saying it, he was saying that he was basing it on that. I explained this in my original post so people would know that and was asked if I had considered they might be honestly reporting their experience about latex and memory foam. Yes, that is why I said it that way but I have changed it to clarify. He then went on to say that latex can break down and develop soft spots. Because he was talking like this, I did not try the latex version of the mattress, only the memory foam version.

I sent a pm to Phoenix because that did not seem right to me. Maybe 5lb memory foam vs soft latex but not in general as he presented it. I also filled out the contact form on their website, explaining what I was told and the person who responded I would guess is the highest position in the company based on his title, and he said there are factors involved when comparing the two materials based on densities , which is true.

He was very nice, told me I could call him any time and talk. His comments reflected accurate information. The showroom person did say that the memory foam was 4lb. Since I am 204 lbs right now, I would imagine that that is close to if not borderline for me if I recall what I read on here correctly. I believe it said low 200s.

I went to another one of their showrooms on Saturday, and another person told me that memory foam lasts longer than latex. 2 people form the same company. Both showroom people sleep on the 4lb memory foam mattress. The first person is very similar to my size, the second person said he had been up around 300 pounds, has had the 4lb memory foam mattress for 6 years and it has not compressed.

The second guy said he used to make the mattresses. I tried the latex and asked what the ILD was and he did not know. The higher up guy had previously responded back to me and had told me he likes to use 28ILD and up, and 4 lb memory foam to balance comfort and durability, but I wanted to know what it was for that mattress, I tried.

They had 2 latex over coils, 2 inch and 3 inch Talalay. To be honest, the 2 inch seems firmer than my current mattress, since I am a side sleeper and occasionally wake up with shoulder pain not sure that would be a good fit. The 3 inch Talalay, seems like it might be a hair soft. He said that is their most returned mattress.

I did not ask him any more questions about the build specs. I am going to fill out the contact form again and expect to get all the info I ask for. Just for the record, this is a Trusted Member on this site, which surprised me more than if it was not. I expected Trusted Member showroom people, who I figured would be highly knowledgeable people to know all the specs. Maybe I had unreal expectations.

My current mattress seems strange to me. I bought it online but it is a highly certified mattress, using high quality materials. It does not feel like any other latex over coils mattress that I have tried.
It feels somewhat soft but instead of contouring to different areas, it seems more like a general area is being compressed. I don’t remember if it always felt this soft or if it has worn quickly, but I am disappointed.

I have tried 3 latex over coils at 2 different companies, both mattress makers that have been making them for decades, one is a trusted member, one is not. The first latex I tried at the place who is not a trusted member had a breakdown on the mattress.

ORGANIC COTTON FABRIC WITH UPHOLSTERY GRADE BORDER
USA MADE THERMALLY BONDED JONES COTTON FIRE BARRIER (JONES COTTON)

• 2" 100% NATURAL FSC CERTIFIED FOAM RUBBER COMFORT LAYER (N2 TALALAY)
  • 1" THERMALLY BONDED FIBER FLEX-O-LATOR INSULATOR LAYER
  • 789 QUANTUM EDGE 7 ZONE ENCASED COIL INNERSPRING 14/15 GUAGE
  • ALL ADHESIVES ARE 100% GREEN GUARD GOLD CERTIFIED
    He said the latex was 28ILD, not sure if there is an insulator under the coils and a base foam or not, it is not listed.

This mattress while firmer than mine, seemed to slightly counter to different areas and provide more support than my current mattress, my fear, is that if mine is softer and sometimes I have sore shoulders, how can this be better, if it is a little firmer. My other choice is, this 4lb memory foam that is probably borderline for my weight, and I am not sure how it will hold up.

First thing I am going to do, is, get all the specifics for the 4lb memory foam and latex at this place and then try to decide. I am not excited about the 3 inch latex, I would go with the 2 inch, at either place, or the 4lb memory foam. To be honest, if I knew it would hold up, I might give the memory foam a shot because the latex seem a little firmer and I am worried about sore shoulders. It did not bother me in the showroom but I was not on it for hours.

I would be curious to hear expert opinions on whether it could be possible to sleep on a little firmer latex and not get sore shoulders and what you think about 4lb memory foam at 204 lbs.

Lay on the latex for 20-30 min and then try memory foam for 20-30 min. Repeat the same test on another day multiple times. Bring your own pillow and wear thin clothing like you sleep in. Take pics of your spine on both.

Based on what you wrote….you seem to like memory foam better.

You might try 100% latex without springs. Why? The spring “ILD” can not be changed, but latex ild can be changed by swapping out layers. Thats why the VZone (Flobed) top latex layer is genius. Id look into Flobeds, SleepEZ and Arizona Premium. If memory foam, look into Tempurpedic. I did visit Samina Sleep (and it feels great)….but real pricey at $10-20k! (Including the wooden base).

Let us know what you do.

John

Thanks for the response, I tried an all latex mattress in two of the other showrooms at different companies and did not care for them, but like you said, there are many options available, maybe I have just not tried the right combination.

I am just not happy with my experience with this latex bed, thinking back after typing my post last night, I recall that at one point, I was thinking this mattress might be a little too firm for me but now it feels pretty soft. It did not seem to hold up well. I am not sure it is the bed causing my back pain because when I lay on my right side, I wake up with back pain over near my left side, since it goes away after I get up, I am wondering if it is the mattress, but it definitely does not give me proper support.

Just so you know, I bought a wood slat foundation from Arizona Premium to use with this mattress and that goes on a Knickerbocker frame with a leg in the center. I also rotate the mattress so, it is not because of a bad foundation, or neglect on my part that caused this to not hold up well.

Not sure I like memory foam better, it is just that the memory foam beds I have tried are slightly softer than the latex, although the 4 inches of memory foam I tried at one place was a decent amount softer without being too soft. My thinking is that it might be better for my shoulders. I am thinking I might try the 3 inch latex again before I make my decision.

I contacted the last place through their website contact form again last night and got all the specifics that I asked for. He said that if I needed anything more to let him know. I am going
to call and have a conversation with him.

Hi napper and thanks for the clarification.

@Phoenix is correct: Latex is a more durable mattress material than memory foam, except in cases of a very soft latex rubber versus a higher density memory foam of 5 lbs/cuft or more.

As you are a higher bmi sleeper, it’s possible your latex mattress was not of correct firmness for your body profile, or that your profile changed over those 4 years since you purchased it.

Memory foam, by its nature, tends to break down over time as the foam loses its ability to conform to the sleeper, and/or ‘bounce back’ from impressions in the other areas of the memory foam.

As I think you began this question in a PM TO @Phoenix, I will leave it to them to provide more info for your situation!

~ Basilio

Thanks, that is why I hesitate to get a 4lb memory in the comfort layer, but I don’t like the memory foam mattresses that you sink in real slow and have a hard time to turn. I would guess that is what you are going to get with memory foam above 4lbs. That is what makes it tough, getting something firm enough to hold up well without causing discomfort.

When you go to these mattress makers, they don’t ask your weight or base their advice on your weight or BMI, or mention that 4lb memory foam might not be a good choice under the circumstances, they actually recommend the memory foam as a good choice, and tell you that they make high quality mattresses with high quality materials and they will all last long.