Can I flip a 10 yr old Tempurpedic and use a topper?

Hi - we bought a Tempur-pedic mattress back in 2010. The model was called The ClassicBed - I don’t think they make it anymore.

Anyway, it served us very well for 10 years, but in the last few weeks I started to notice some back pain, and realized that the area where I sleep is now very soft and I guess the foam has gone past its time.

My first question is, this is still under warranty. Should I try to make a warranty claim with the company for this? Or is it considered normal wear? When looking at the bed you can’t really see the indentation, you need to press down to feel the difference.

So maybe it’s time for a new mattress, but given the current situation with the virus, etc, we’re not really up for mattress shopping. Also Tempur-pedic is not setting up beds in house or removing old mattresses, so it seems like it will be a pain to try to get a new bed right now.

So last night my wife and I tried rotating it, to see if that would help. It did a little bit, but still not great.

We were thinking of flipping it, but I can see that the material on the underside is not the same, and I know that these are not meant to be flipped.

I was thinking that maybe a good temporary solution, would be to order a topper, from Tempur-pedic or maybe even somewhere else, then flip the mattress and stick the topper on. Is this a feasible solution? Anything wrong with doing this? Does anyone have any other recommendations of how to extend the life of this mattress?

Last question - what of their current line is most similar to what we currently have, in case we do want to consider a new one?

Thanks!

H

Hi hominamad,

You’d be better off contacting Tempur-Pedic for any warranty question.

Yes, we’ve had several customers who have bought either Memory Foam Toppers or Latex Toppers for this purpose. The underside of the mattress is usually a high density foam which acts as the support core. By adding a 2" or 3" topper over that core, it will provide some pressure relief on hips and shoulders and prolong the life of the mattress until the core breaks down and no longer offers proper support.

Sorry, we don’t sell Tempur-Pedic so I’m not in a position to advise you on this matter.

All the best