Canadian First purchase - northern ON

Hi! Hoping that someone is able to assist with choosing a mattress. Some background on myself and my partner

Me - 5’9 210lbs side and back sleeper
Girlfriend - 5’4 140lbs side and back sleeper

We both run quite hot and I personally prefer products that are organic/sustainable. We would be looking for a queen size with a price capping around 1,500 but a preference to $1000.

Realistically I know this will not be a lifetime mattress and we will need to upgrade to something later on, I’m just sick of sleeping on a twin.

The main issue I’m having with doing mattress shopping is that most products that have fit my standards of density, amount of latex, coil type etc. Are not available in the area I live. I live a bit out from Thunder Bay and drive a Coupe. Delivery would be preferred but store to door (shipping) tends to cost a lot more than online purchases.

My hands are kinda tied so if anyone has any half decent mattress recommendations for rural Canada it would be greatly appreciated

Hi RipRoach, welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile:
Glad to have you here.

[quote] Me - 5’9 210lbs side and back sleeper
Girlfriend - 5’4 140lbs side and back sleeper

We both run quite hot and I personally prefer products that are organic/sustainable. We would be looking for a queen size with a price capping around 1,500 but a preference to $1000.[/quote]
As you probably know, any mattress you buy will be unique to you and your girlfriend, the sleepers using it., based on your stats(height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) and their PPP(posture and alignment, pressure relief and personal preferences). Thanks for providing your stats! Since you are both combo side/back sleepers and both ‘run quite hot’, you may want to consider a latex mattress, or a latex topper, since memory foam, by its’ nature, conforms to the sleepers allowing perspiration to ‘pool’ close to the surface of the skin, which is thereby warmed by the sleepers body temperature. Of course this depends on your preferences – it sounds like you have already started doing some research; if you have not done so you may want to look at the -Mattress Shopping Tutorialas well as. theMattress Specifications You Need To Know and theMattress Durability Guidelinesto get an idea of what to look for in a new mattress and what different components and materials to review and how these hold up over time.

[quote] Realistically I know this will not be a lifetime mattress and we will need to upgrade to something later on, I’m just sick of sleeping on a twin.

The main issue I’m having with doing mattress shopping is that most products that have fit my standards of density, amount of latex, coil type etc. Are not available in the area I live. I live a bit out from Thunder Bay and drive a Coupe. Delivery would be preferred but store to door (shipping) tends to cost a lot more than online purchases.

My hands are kinda tied so if anyone has any half decent mattress recommendations for rural Canada it would be greatly appreciated[/quote]
I see your concern; since you have a very specific budget and are located pretty far removed from major urban hubs, you are likely wise to purchase online if possible. Its best to try out different mattress types in person, if possible, just to get an idea of what you may or may not prefer, which it sounds like you have done. We have quite a few Canadian forum members, so I can say there are a few of the Trusted Membersof the site who ship to/within Canada:FloBeds are based in Phoenix Arizona and offer latex toppers and mattresses and hybrid mattresses and they ship to Canada via UPS ground; Dormiois located in Ontario and specialize in organic/natural latex mattresses at a variety of price ranges; MFC is a Canadian online retailer with a selection of latex and hybrid mattresses, and CBH Wood Furniture is a Canadian manufacturer of all-natural beds. Also, not a member, but several of our Canadian forum members have purchased from SnugSleep. Some customs brokers will allow you to ship to their warehouse on the border and they will complete the delivery in Canada for a fee., though since you have a coupe, and it’s a bit of a drive, that may be impractical. Hopefully one of these suggested manufacturers have offerings of your preferred density, amount of latex, and coil type. Possibly some of our Canadian members can chime in with their suggestions and their own experiences from a more ‘boots-on-the-ground’ perspective.

I hope this helps,

~ Basilio

Hi RipRoach,

To follow up on Basilio reply, I’d like to add that the only materials that meets this requirement are the organic dunlop latex and the 100% all natural talalay latex. You’ll want to cover the latex with an organic cotton cover quilted with virgin / organic wool. Our lowest price Queen mattress with this requirement in Unison organic dunlop latex mattress that sells for $1995 taxes and delivery included. We also give a 3% discount to all members of the mattress underground that can be found here.

I hope this helps you and please let us know what you decide to go for,

All the best

Mario